Author Topic: jigging for walleyes-new  (Read 1528 times)

Offline icebrad

• IceShanty Rookie
jigging for walleyes-new
« on: Dec 18, 2004, 12:36 AM »
im new to jigging for walleyes thru the ice. were do i look for on lakes and resovours. any suggestion on lures and bait??...presantation???   :tipup: :tipup:

Offline LoneWolf

• Tournaments/Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
Re: jigging for walleyes-new
« Reply #1 on: Dec 18, 2004, 05:58 PM »
It depends on what kind of structure your lakes/reserviors have. Are you fishing day or night ?
Those who are brave are free ..

Offline icebrad

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 21, 2004, 09:13 PM »
im fishing resavours mainly but some lakes to..mostly during day and into the evening hours-into the night only an hour or two

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 21, 2004, 09:42 PM »
I would look for 10 - 25 foot depths around rip rap, points, major drop offs, or gravel or small rock bars. If you want to fish the best times, fish the two twighlight periods around sunset and sunrise. Daytime action is slower, you need to move deeper and move around a lot to find a willing biter.
I would start with jigging rapalas in the #5 size, fished on six or eight pound mono or fluorocarbon. Tip them with a tiny minnow head and make sure not to overbalance the lure. If you can't find small minnow heads, like the size of your smallest fingernail, using the swimming lure without any bait still works well, one of the few lure types that doesn't neccessarly have to be tipped with bait. Then I would set a tip up out with a small live minnow, about 3  - 5 inches long. Other good lures include jigheads with live minnows, spoons like swedish pimples, kastmasters, do jiggers, and rocker minnows. The spoons need to be tipped with a small piece of cutbait or a minnow head to be most effective. Pieces of nightcrawler also work as well, as will a perch eye.
You should do pretty well using this advice. Do you have a sonar? Walleyes will almost always be tight to the bottom unless you have suspending baitfish like alewives, ciscoes, shad, or whitefish. Then they will be at any depth to follow the baitfish schools.

Tyler
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.