Poll

If....you didnt have to worry about family, kids, and the rest of the everyday real world.....where would you want to spend your winter??

Fishing with all the comforts with friends
7 (46.7%)
Fishing a wilderness lake
4 (26.7%)
Fishing in my home state/province whenever i felt the urge
1 (6.7%)
Overnighting at the Shanty/The Peace and Quiet is Priceless
3 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Author Topic: Your Ideal Winter Home  (Read 1982 times)

grumpymoe

Your Ideal Winter Home
« on: Dec 17, 2004, 07:26 PM »
I know everyone here at the shanty is chomping to get out to first ice....some of the luckier ones.....(myself and MM) have already been out...but if you didnt have to worry about bills and the day to day bustle and could take one winter off to do whatever you wanted.....just what would you do???....fish until you were bored???...or is there something special that you would do....remember...this is a once in a lifetime fantasy winter.....Grump :thumbsup:

Offline Out4Trout

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Waiting for the Annual trip up North
Re: Your Ideal Winter Home
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17, 2004, 07:38 PM »
If I finally had a chance to get out with out any worries of home, I'd vote for the wildernes lake. But if it's for the whole winter - it has to be with friends. That's one thing about ice fishing - it's a great social event. Friends is my vote.  ;D

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
« Reply #2 on: Dec 17, 2004, 07:57 PM »
Wilderness lake, 55 miles long, with no cabins within 10 miles of yours. No road access, only way in is by water or air. Rainbows to 21 lbs, lakers to 95lbs, burbot to 26lbs, kokanee, whitefish, sturgeon up to 10ft long. Beautiful sunsets as you set up for night fishing. HEH WAIT A MINUTE. I GOT IT ALREADY:

This is a summer pics but was up a week ago and it had 3 inches of ice. Should be good when we go there to see the new year in at end of month. ;D

Offline LoveIce

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 17, 2004, 08:18 PM »
YOU $uck   ;D  what is your bigets laker,white fish and burbot ?
YOU DONT HAVE A FLASHER what are you nuts.

Offline trev.357

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 17, 2004, 08:23 PM »
    i would love a place set deep in a forest with a private lake, log cabin,wood stove, lots of rabbits to hunt and snare lots of fish to fish maybe a small creek that would never freeze up maybe just around the edges. some coyote's and wolf's to call in for a nice shoot about 1 foot of snow with it snowing everyday but never accumulating more that the foot deep foot.
    of course the cabin would have to have a satellite t.v and the fridge stocked with good host ice tea ,deer sausage and salami , Atlantic lobsters ,beef prime rib steaks ,baby red potatoes . the mornings would be get up have some breakfast then walk 50 feet to the lake for some fishing catch some fish come back about 11am chop wood then eat some fish have a nap till 3pm go rabbit hunting till 4pm  then start calling in some wolfs or coyotes looking for a real trophy walk back to the cabin get stove nice and warm have a good warm water wash get into some jamy's and slippers get supper cooking , lite my pipe and smoke it ,find a good movie or show to watch, eat supper about 8pm get into bed have a good sleep and do it all over the next day.and of course i would love to do this with my 5 yr old son.
  but   i like to dream allot

Offline bushbunny

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • He who has the gold makes the rules!!!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 17, 2004, 08:30 PM »
Dreamers!!!  I have all of that already in northeast Alberta, land of oil, gas, and the coin to do it all!!!!

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #6 on: Dec 17, 2004, 08:32 PM »
i dont see all of the above

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 18, 2004, 12:42 AM »
YOU $uck   ;D  what is your bigets laker,white fish and burbot ?
51lb laker, 2lb whitefish, 15.2 lb burbot. But they are gonna be bigger this year, I hope ;D

Offline LoveIce

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 18, 2004, 05:47 AM »
Is your camp on crown land ? Do you lease it year to year? Are the leases hard to get ?  in the states is hard to get a new lease big time hard . I LOVE CANADA but live in MAINE GEEEEEEEE  :'(
YOU DONT HAVE A FLASHER what are you nuts.

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 18, 2004, 10:04 AM »
Is your camp on crown land ? Do you lease it year to year? Are the leases hard to get ?  in the states is hard to get a new lease big time hard . I LOVE CANADA but live in MAINE GEEEEEEEE  :'(
My retreat is on crown land. I bought it for $25,000 and I pay $104 canadian dollars in taxes a year. They have leased land down the lake (27 miles) that have all the amenities like power, running water, road access, etc. They get leased for about $3,550.00 a year and their contract has to be renewed in 2018 from the natives, rumour is they may not renew. On top of all that, they travel up to the north end of the lake where I am for the best fishing. Sure it takes me awhile to get there, I do have an outhouse (that never gets frozen pipes), only have propane lights and fridge and have no phone availibility, but it is absolute heaven up there. 10 more days and we are heading up for a 5 day getaway. Probably do some wolf hunting when we are up. Buddy has a cabin further up and when hunting moose saw over 60 wolves in 8 days.
He did bag one lone brute wolf that weighed 217lbs, nice jet black hair. We do have the odd run in with bears when they are not hibernating. Blacks are OK but sometimes grizzlies don't want to get off the trail down to the lake. We have to wait them out and give lots of space, after all we are in their territory.

Offline PAcatchreleaseman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • *happiness is 2 flags at once!*
« Reply #10 on: Dec 18, 2004, 12:35 PM »
217 lb wolf!  WOW, please forward any pics to this board or me personaly!  love goin out after a day of chasin flags for a few calls right around camp.  nuttin like it actually. 

question terry:  how do ya get there when its frozen?  dont tell me snowmachine cause i just might become your closest neighbor ;)
"You Gotta GET-HIIIIIIIIIIIIIIMMMM!!!!!"

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 18, 2004, 12:56 PM »
217 lb wolf!  WOW, please forward any pics to this board or me personaly!  love goin out after a day of chasin flags for a few calls right around camp.  nuttin like it actually. 

question terry:  how do ya get there when its frozen?  dont tell me snowmachine cause i just might become your closest neighbor ;)
I have to go by ATV or if the snow gets deep I take the snowmobiles. If I get pics of some wolves I will post but maybe pulled off (not icefishing related) so will PM you.

Offline Turkeyhunter10ga

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #12 on: Dec 18, 2004, 01:05 PM »
Looks and sounds like a great place Terry. I'm jealous  LOL
it looks like water levels are down there too , by looking at the new beach front

Offline mjc2799

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Dec 18, 2004, 02:06 PM »
Terry your place sounds ideal ... wish i had a place like that ... any pics of the wolves you get could you forward them to me i would like to see them ... my email is [email protected]
 mike
Git - R - Done !!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.