Author Topic: Probable move to SD in August  (Read 1432 times)

Offline arcticat500

• IceShanty Rookie
  • I fish, therefore I'm broke...and hungry!
Probable move to SD in August
« on: Dec 03, 2010, 03:15 PM »
Not necessarily ice fishing specific, but it looks like Ellsworth is going to be my next assignment.  I'm just wondering what species you guys have down south.  I'm from Michigan orignally, have lived in Vegas, the UK, Phoenix, Mountain Home Idaho, South Korea, and am presently in Alaska.  I've fished them all too!  Just wanting to know the species availability, and best boat type for your area.

Thanks in advance.

Matt

Offline arcticat500

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Probable move to SD in August
« Reply #1 on: Dec 07, 2010, 01:24 AM »
Alright, not a whisper was heard.  So after some more digging, I see there is pike, perch, crappie, and gills with a few eyes thrown here and there.  For the ice fishing side, are there many/any restrictions on permanent shanties?  Or does everyone pretty much just go with the portables?  Here in AK, I see very few perms, as most lakes double as airstrips summer and winter, so permits are required.  I think in the interior they use perms more than here in the Anchorage and Mat-Su valleys anyway. 

On the softwater side, what style of boat is preferred?  John boat style, semi-V, deep-V, typical bass boat?  Just trying to get some of the homework done now so I can be looking for prospects as my time approaches!

Help a fella out! :)

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 07, 2010, 01:32 AM »
I don't know of any restriction of shelter. Everyone moves around so much not the best plan having one place staked out. Everyone chase the hot bite. I fish the hills and live in Wyoming. I like the lake trout in the winter. The just bite better and a chance at a big fish. SD has great fishing everywhere. When I was younger I wold go over to Oahe and camp on the ice for days. Caught a lot of great fish, a lot of work. I don't have a crazy running buddy any more so I stay closer to home with a trip to Flaming Gorge and Boysen every winter.

As far as boats I use a 18' Walleye boat. It works great everywhere. Not sure what kind of fishing your looking at trolling or jigging.

Sorry about the "quite" here it's always that way and I don't know why. The WY side is a little more active.
In the memory of "Team Lighting" Fish ON!
No one ever says,"Man that fish tastes small.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline royjulius

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Top 5 Pike:14-5,15-5,15-10,17-0,18-4, 2B cont.
« Reply #3 on: Dec 07, 2010, 08:15 AM »
You will love the fishing here. We have alot of varieties of fisheries. Between the prairie and the hills, our water temps vary so widely that you can stay on the prespawn bite for a couple of months. As far as boats, any style works, here's how I scoot.....

As for shanties, I tried a big permanant, but portable is the way to go to stay on perch. Sounds like you did your research on our species. Welcome, whenever you arrive! :tipup:

Offline Piking Icehole

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 07, 2010, 09:17 PM »
Here are the only regs I know of when it comes to Ice Houses:

Each fish house, shanty, or other shelter must display on the outside the name and address of the
owner in letters at least two inches high. Portable shelters removed from the ice daily are exempt
from the marking requirements. The door must permit entry except when unoccupied and locked
from the outside. Shelters must be removed from the ice by midnight Mar. 5 in Day, Grant, Marshall
and Roberts counties, and Deerfield Lake in Pennington County. In the remainder of the state,
shelters must be removed from the ice no later than midnight Feb. 25. Shelters may be used after
designated removal dates if they are removed daily.

In regards to types of boats......as it was mentioned earlier, it really depends on what type fits your fishing style as there are always a wide variety on the lakes during the summer.  Pretty much all the boat styles you listed can be seen at one lake or another in the Black Hills area.  

If you are going to be going to the Missouri River or some of the bigger lakes in the Hills area (Angostura or Orman), a deeper "dry" boat is definitely recommended.  If you are going to be fishing for bass, trout, panfish, etc. in some of the hills lakes then you can definitely use a much smaller boat as some lakes actually have rules restricting the use of gas motors.  Or if you are going to do a little of both......then something in between will be just fine.  Not sure if that helps but this area really does offer alot of different varieties of fishing.  

I would recommend visiting with one of the local boat dealers and they should be able to help you out also.  

The Northern Plains Ulimate Outdoor Exposition is a great opportunity to meet with all the local dealers.  This is a sports show at the Rushmore Plaza Civic Center in Rapid City where basically any and every business in the local area (as well as others from outside the area) shows off their product.  Anything from boats to fishing equipment to hunting equipment to RV's to ATV's to motorcycles to taxidermists to guide services are on display.  There are also seminars and demos that are held at this event. I believe the event is going to be held March 11th through the 13th.  This event is pretty much any outdoorsmans' paradise when it comes to seeing what's new and all the latest and greatest toys in the area!
Fish Fear me.....

Offline Gillzillia

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 08, 2010, 05:22 AM »
You could also try Dakota Anglers website forum...

http://forum.dakotaangler.com/

South Dakota has some amazing fishing!!!

Offline arcticat500

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 09, 2010, 12:35 AM »
Great info on the shack regs.  Same went for Michigan.  I like the mobility function of the portable, as I do like to move around, but having a perm shack to base out of is so convenient.  I always liked keeping some of the heavier gear in the perm shack as opposed to loading/unloading every trip.  Also great to have a huge hole for the kids to fit...I mean look down ::)!  I should know for sure by the end of next week if SD is where I'm headed.  From the sounds of it, I won't be disappointed if that's the case (with the exception of the wind!).  The boat question is what is going to plague me though.  I just sold my 14' aluminum three seat beast, thinking I was headed to Virginia where a bass boat was going to be the next purchase.  Now that VA is out of the equation, the old three seater would have at least been there to get me started :(  Of course now I might talk "she who must be obeyed" into a new Lund :clap: 

Offline royjulius

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 09, 2010, 07:56 AM »
Lund has some great glass boats now..... :tipup:

Offline mtelkhunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 10, 2010, 03:16 PM »
This is actually my preference for boat, but I fish mostly the Missouri River reservoirs where it can get rather uhhh 'choppy'.  This is not the boat for the 'hills lakes.  It sure rides nice when the wind blows!

Offline royjulius

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 12, 2010, 12:31 PM »
Nice!! :tipup: :tipup: I take my boat on the MO river, and there are times when I wished I had that windshield........

Offline arcticat500

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 14, 2010, 03:01 PM »
You could also try Dakota Anglers website forum...

http://forum.dakotaangler.com/

South Dakota has some amazing fishing!!!

Just awaiting admin approval!  Thanks for the link!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.