Author Topic: crazy ice stunts???  (Read 2508 times)

Offline PCB

• Team IceShanty Regular
crazy ice stunts???
« on: Dec 15, 2004, 01:51 PM »
Anyone ever do anything most people would consider insane while on the ice?

Friend of mine have used extension ladders to reach good ice after the shoreline ice melted and left only slabs 8" thick about 20 feet from shore

also weve had to wear hip boots on ice while fishing.... after a snowmelt on a warm day there was nearly 10" of water on top of the ice, but the ice was still 15"+
'Its either me or ice fishing' she says... i still have my jiffy

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
Re: crazy ice stunts???
« Reply #1 on: Dec 15, 2004, 02:45 PM »
A long time ago when I used to get intoxicated almost every time out ice fishing, I brought a friend who had rarely ventured onto ice and was very leary of it. His anxiety was even worse because we were on " black ice " which looks scary ( but is actually the safest as we know ), and I told him we were over 50 feet of water. The ice was solid but only 2" thick. After a few hours of being there he relaxed a lot, and I eventually coaxed him into walking to the middle of the lake. I was buzzing pretty good by now, and decided to mess with his head. I said, " watch how strong this ice is " and then jumped up high and drove my feet into the ice right where he was standing. The ice noticably dropped and spider-webbed all around us, and was hanging on by a thread. It was a miracle that we stayed dry ( and alive ). My friend turned white as a sheet, and I don't know to this day if he ever stepped foot on any ice since. I'd probably be dead from something stupid like this if I hadn't stopped drinking 10 years ago.
The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

hali-man

« Reply #2 on: Dec 15, 2004, 02:59 PM »
It was a miracle that we stayed dry ( and alive ). My friend turned white as a sheet, and I don't know to this day if he ever stepped foot on any ice since. I'd probably be dead from something stupid like this if I hadn't stopped drinking 10 years ago.

Crazy sh!t like that keeps me going...
Yeah, you could have died. But hey, there's worse ways to go.

8)

flag freak

« Reply #3 on: Dec 15, 2004, 03:10 PM »
We where fishing a bog once and my buddy was playing with a  empty quart bottle pushing it in the hole watchimng it bounce back up. He gave it a real good push and it came out of the hole and hit him on the forehead,making a perfect red circle where it hit.Took a couple of hours before that mark was gone off of my forehead.I mean my buddys forehead ;D

Offline fishercat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hard water or soft water just let me fish
« Reply #4 on: Dec 15, 2004, 04:37 PM »
But hey, there's worse ways to go.

Yeah, you could have a bass try to swallow you head first and then get permanently stuck on your lower lip!!!  :roflmao: :whistle:
   :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :thumbsup:

Offline Spud_bar

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Poppin' Swedish Pimples since '96
« Reply #5 on: Dec 15, 2004, 04:56 PM »
 :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
funny stuff. anyone ever try using the wind to push them to shore??? I was in my shappel 2000 and my brother and I were both in ther ebut the wind was roaring so strong straight toward the truck that we decided to "troll back". With each of us hanging one foot out to steer we coasted almost the whole way back. it sucked when we hit a patch of snow though and toppled over. I've rarely laughed that hard.
All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy.

Offline red_eyes

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FLAGG!!!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 15, 2004, 06:08 PM »
Its was late november last year, when we got ice. well anyways, the ice was about 6" thick,me and my buddy rode bikes down to the lake, where his dad had about 15 tip ups set out, it was raining hard, and real windy, there was about 4" of water on top the ice, the wind was blowing 50+ mph, and the ice was slippery, well we went out to check the flags, clean the holes etc,and getting pushed in to shore by the wind, well anyways like 3 or 4 tip ups got blown outa the holes, so we wnet to retrieve, and we got pushed out to real thin ice , (1-2").his dad showed up, his dad and I went out, and got the tip ups. It was just so dangerous tho.

Another time me n my other friend wer out f##king around on the ice , late feb, ice was like only 1" or 2 thick, we sunk a snapping turtle,doing other stupid sh!t, and the part to get to shore, u had to jump from solid ice to shore, which was about a 6ft leap, well we accidently went to jump, landed on thin ice, and we both went in, wher we were the water was only 2ft - 8ft deep.

we've done other stupid sh!t too, like taking my quad on snomobile trails, getting chased by EPO,doin 60+mph across the lake, whippin by ppl, towing little kids (7-15) around in a sled, then hitting the gas, and watch them flip off, goin on shore and hittin a 4+ ft jump down and landing on the lake,doin donuts out on the middle of the lake,and hittin a 12ft buckle/jump out on the lake doin 45-50mph. other crazy sh!t too
Pain is temporary, trophies last forever

trueicelover

« Reply #7 on: Dec 15, 2004, 10:35 PM »
THAT IS NUTS.... I SAY NUTS!!! BE SAFE ;D ;D ;D

Offline Icemanjim

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Dec 15, 2004, 10:45 PM »
This is pretty tame compared to you wild and crazy guys, but, the strangest thing I saw was on a lake that was all blue ice, the fishing was worse than bad and there were grown men on this lake pushing each other around in lawn chairs, trying to see who could slide the furthest.  Like I said, the fishing was real bad.
Here fishy fishy fishy, I don't want to hurt you, I just want to catch you!

rooster60

« Reply #9 on: Dec 18, 2004, 03:48 PM »
oh man where do i start?  since my winter sport in high school was ice fishing, i spent dang near every day out on the lake.  id get the serious fishing done on weeknights cuz on weekends we were way too drunk and stupid to land a fish.  but lets see...there was the time we busted through so many snowdrifts on the lake with the bronco that it was frozen solid and wouldnt turn or shift into gear the next morning...then there was the time when we pushed my friends spearing house with the bumper of the truck from one end of the lake to the other....or the time when we had a minnow eating (live fatheads no chewing) contest...or when we organized an inprompto snowmobile drag race involving about 50+ guys and had a CO plane circle over head and try to bust us (i think the snow was too deep for him to land on the ice)....man theres so many more crazy things me and my buddies have done that i cannot even get close to remembering.  i guess i done fished (partied) my self stupid!

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #10 on: Dec 18, 2004, 04:54 PM »
My buddy and i raced our trucks down otsego lake last year, over 100mph on the ice - stupid, stupid, stupid -even on 20" of ice

PS: i won >:D

Offline BlackVelvet

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Let's get Jiggy wit it
« Reply #11 on: Dec 18, 2004, 05:20 PM »
Been a victim of some stupid antics - like the time four of us are in the shanty playing cards at the table next to a kerosene heater while waiting on the flags. Our brilliant cohort decides to give us a little 'wakeup' with his Buick wagon - only he decides a little late that he's travelling a bit too fast on is approach. Hits the brake (gee, can't steer the car now?) and slams into the rear of the shanty.  :o  The shanty gets knocked off the front runner and reaches that equilibrium point in it's tilt between falling over on its side (door down!) and returning back upright.
Fortunately for the four of us, we uprighted. Would of been quite a time if the shanty went over with no escape & kerosene spilled over inside  :woot:  bruises were the biggest thing he caught that day  :%$#!:
everytime I go fishing I'm successfull...and sometimes, I catch fish.

Offline JT

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Eat Fish Hunt Tattoo
« Reply #12 on: Dec 18, 2004, 06:13 PM »
Thats freaking hilarious ,he hit the shack with the Buick hhhaaaaahhhhaaaaa!
myspace.com/tat2byjt

Offline fastribs85

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 18, 2004, 11:31 PM »
hey those buicks are tough trust me i know this wasnt on ice but did happen recently mischief night  deflated all my friends tires wrapped tp all over coverd it with shaveing cream and then doe in eustress and vasalend everything the would touch needess to say they new it was me  >:D >:D later that night the dumped wet mulched leaves all over the car along with horse crap then cover it with vegatable oil and flour so i gotthe paintball gun and starteda war needless to say it lasted all day and my house was shot 5 cars were shot and a motorcycle we ended the chase runni through a local historic town where my friend lives shooting out the cars at each other three of them in a truck and myself itn the car we looked like real rednecks runnin aroun cigs in our mouths smashed up cars cowboy or camo hats and country music blastin along with the sound of 2 paintball guns and i won but that was revenge for blowin up my seat with a firecracker in thespring throwin them out thewindow lit

Offline Oldfart

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Cant feel what fingers? You still got fingers?
« Reply #14 on: Dec 19, 2004, 05:25 AM »
Way back when I was 20 or so, me and my buddy would go down to the harbor on coastal Ct. Back then it would get so cold the saltwater would freeze to about 16".  Then the tide comes in and busts it up. After the tide goes out it freezes the slabs together again. You could go out at low tide and hop around on the frozen mess. It looked like Antartica with the slabs all piled up and on edge, but you couldn't go out when the tide was up, the ice was free floating.  Or could you? So, after too much to drink and not enough sense between us, we went down to the harbor to see. We came up with a game of chicken. Jump off the dock onto a slab, jump back onto the dock before the slab dropped and  dropped you into the drink. Some slabs were big, some the size of a car door. Some the size of a microwave. Microwaves were bigger back then.  If you went into the drink in that current, the ice would close over your head for sure. Next guy had to hop on one slab, then a second before jumping back onto the dock. The next guy had to hit 3 slabs before returning. You get the picture. We looked like a cartoon running over ice that could not support you if you stopped! I was up to 22 or 23 when the men in blue put an end to the days fun. But onlookers  cheered us when we talked our way out of a "ride" if we went back in the pub and behaved! ::)
I wish I was in heaven sittin down..........on a 5 gallon pail!

Offline duck doctor

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 19, 2004, 06:48 AM »
This was not a stunt but kind of wished it was.  Last winter, on Silver Lake in NH, a preasure ridge formed in the middle of the lake. It was not a real big one like we see on winnipasaukee, but it was still about 18" tall.  Well I moved the shanty and did not see the ridge. I got where I was headed and put the throttle to the handle bars on the way back to pick things up. Well on the way back, I took a different route. I was aproaching 80 or 90mph and all of a sudden I heard a deep thud and felt weightless. I knew exactly what I had hit and knew I was airborn.  I did everything I could to keep the sled level but the higher I went the more the sled came out from under me.  I ended up putting the sled down vertically on the rear bumper. I rode it out the best I could but I just could not hold on when the sled bounced up and landed again.  I fell off at that point.  Onlookers said that I was about 15' in the air. I took a tape measure and measured from the point of lift off to the point of the first contact made with the sled. I was in the air for 65'!  Needless to say, I crapped my pants!

Offline RM fishin

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #16 on: Dec 19, 2004, 08:36 AM »
One of the dumbest, My friend and I had went together on a portable fish finder about 15 yrs ago and could'nt wait for ice to play with it. Finally went to small lake, drilled a few holes, 2-3 inches, lets fish. We were marking plenty of fish, the alarm just would'nt shut up. Bites wer'nt to good. Anyway, he got all excited, come look at all these fish I'm marking he says. When I got close, about a fifty foot circle started to sag and I just knew we were gonna get wet. Lucky for us, we split apart slowly and worked our way off. Found out a few weeks later, another friends wife had driven by the lake just as this was happening, she stopped to watch if those fools were gonna get wet. Only later did she find out who the fools were. We have shared this story and laughs more than once over the years when people get all excited about how good first ice is! 

Offline swantucky

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 19, 2004, 06:32 PM »
    Two years ago we were fishing lake Erie off of Camp Perry about 6 miles off shore on 4-wheelers and sleds.  We're sittin' fishing but not much catching when we look towards shore and here comes a Saab station wagon headed in our direction running about 60 mph.  This guy blows by us and locks up the brakes 1/4  past us does about 6 360's trying to stop, finally stops jumps out augers a hole right outside his door and fishes sitting in the car.  If you've ever fished Erie you know that the ice is really almost never safe to drive a car on,  this clown just got lucky I guess.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.