The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: How we have changed  (Read 2513 times)

Offline Butch 2

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Member G.O.D.S.
Re: How we have changed
« Reply #30 on: Nov 29, 2010, 04:56 PM »
Old school be dammed,71 and still going. Used to chop holes just to warm up.Can remember the good old days thank you but will opt for todays technology on almost everything.Have to side with Art on this one( plus he has the GATOR) .....

Offline djb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Nov 29, 2010, 07:43 PM »
I just looked at some of my gear. How many of us here still fish with (or remember) these companies?

Fishcrafters of Worcester, Mass. or how about Never-Fail Company of West Boylston, Mass.  Both of these tilts have U.S. Patent numbers stamped on them and have brass spools and trigger guards. I still use the same gear that my father and grandfather used, I still have a chipping bar, although my old galvanized shiner pail finally gave out-too many freeze-thaws I guess. I still use the same axe that chopped out many winter beaver (remember when you could do that in Massachusetts?) although lately I've grown fond of my Eskimo gas auger when the ice gets more then 5 or 6 inches thick. I'll also give a big thumbs up to the better clothing and boots of today, but I still wear my Pendleton outdoor wool shirt and fur hat when I'm on the ice.

Like they say "the more things change the more they stay the same". We still need ice and freezing temperatures to go ice fishing.

Offline lavaman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Nov 29, 2010, 07:48 PM »
Old school be dammed,71 and still going. Used to chop holes just to warm up.Can remember the good old days thank you but will opt for todays technology on almost everything.Have to side with Art on this one( plus he has the GATOR) .....
dude i hope i'm still ice fishing when i'm your age. yea art's got the gator but u got the good looks. c ya on da ice.

Offline BogMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Nov 29, 2010, 08:50 PM »
Maybe it's our older bodies enjoy the newer comforts/toys of icefishing??  Still have some of my first traps but the newer ones operate better. Have to sit back and fix the older ones. Someday when I can put the remote down. ;D

Offline Bozeiceman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Nov 30, 2010, 08:02 PM »
Well I am 49 and have been fishing and collecting tackle my whole life. I have a large reel collection that I don't us much since I fly fish most of the time. But many reels like my Penn 420ss, my Penn 716z, my Garcia mitchell 408, and 308 and my Orvis 50 are all rebuilt, tuned, ice lubed and get taken out on the ice loaded with a top shot of ice braid and floro...and to me tip ups are old school I just like my heritage lakers the 36lb dacron is the old school as well.
I was even thinging of fishing some antique reels this year my pfluegar supremes, summits, rockets and arkons  heck why not they are beautiful and have to of the line braid?
Past couple of years I have been fishing okuma baitfeeders with excellent luck to but I like to mix it up now...I have some nice custom rods as well, my old reels look pretty sexy and have yet to lose me a fish. I will try to post some pictures this season!
"The Green Hornet's caught more fish than you've lied about!"

Offline jonserfish1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hi, my name is Jeff and I'm a fishahaulic!
« Reply #35 on: Dec 01, 2010, 08:00 PM »
any downside to the okuma's? That's all I use in the salt but was wondering how they hold up in the cold. I was looking at the avenger bait feeder. I love the epixors I have. The extra spool is awesome to carry to change line sizes on the fly. Throwing small tins and jigs than quick change to heavy braid and monsta plugs in 2 minutes. How long have you fished with trhem?

Offline lavaman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Dec 02, 2010, 12:34 AM »
any downside to the okuma's? That's all I use in the salt but was wondering how they hold up in the cold. I was looking at the avenger bait feeder. I love the epixors I have. The extra spool is awesome to carry to change line sizes on the fly. Throwing small tins and jigs than quick change to heavy braid and monsta plugs in 2 minutes. How long have you fished with trhem?
lots of plastic on the okuma avenger. probably not good in the cold. i dropped 1 and cracked all the plastic that makes up the inner handle. other than that i think they work good for the $. i got 2 i use for striper fishing with eels.

Offline big jim callahan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Beer making the world a better place
« Reply #37 on: Dec 02, 2010, 09:01 AM »
The only thing I want to do on the ice "Old School" is listen to the DOORS sing light my fire and have a COLD one Come on ice LETS GET IT ON !!!!  :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.