The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: How we have changed  (Read 2512 times)

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
How we have changed
« on: Nov 27, 2010, 01:02 AM »
I have been ice fishing for some time now. I remember as a kid we didn't have an auger. Dad would use a spud bar to chop the holes. Now I have 2 augers for different types of fishing. we never heard of flashers, now most of us have some form of one. A tipup was a tipup, and now we have 50 different types. How much gear do you have that you didn't have 5 years ago. isn't it crazy what we will spend money on? I think 1 time this year we should all go fishing like we did 10 years ago and see how we do. that is a challange to everyone here. Let's have a gathering and see how this works out.
If fishing was work I'd never be sick!

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: How we have changed
« Reply #1 on: Nov 27, 2010, 02:32 AM »
Yea I agree with you,every year I always try to get the gang to go "OLD SCHOOL" for a day but it never happens.I'm 58 and have been doing it since I've been 7 or 8,and yes we've come a long way baby.I still caught piles of fish "OLD SCHOOL",but it's so much fun with all the TOYS now.

Offline Blaine

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 27, 2010, 07:19 AM »
LOL... Have to sharpen up the old axe. Lots of great memories going back 25 years ago... I think I like where I am these days  ;)

Offline Buckeye John

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 27, 2010, 07:32 AM »
GOOD OLD DAYS? I'm 61 and loving all this new stuff!

Offline PIKEKILLER1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 27, 2010, 07:33 AM »
I'm all set chiseling threw 20 inches of ice ::)

Offline jonserfish1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hi, my name is Jeff and I'm a fishahaulic!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 27, 2010, 07:54 AM »
I do miss ice fishing 35 years ago. Mom, dad, aunts, uncles, picnic tables barn fires and I did not have to drag a single sled or chop a single hole. I just had to beat my brothers to dad's flags. Ahhh the good old days. It's only been the last 3 yrs that I actually upgraded tip ups and power auger. I still have the runners from dads sled and plan to build a nice "old school" set up.

Offline WHITETAIL111

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Nov 27, 2010, 08:35 AM »
Bobby.....When the holes are cut buddy you let me know and I'll break out my old tip ups.   ;)
That taxidermy man back home gonna have a heart attack when he see what I bring'em!!

Offline drl823

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Nov 27, 2010, 09:15 AM »
GOOD OLD DAYS? I'm 61 and loving all this new stuff!
I hear ya...I'm 61 also and all this new stuff is sweet. I still have my flatfold traps from Arnold Tackle Co. Paw Paw MI., Old Pal Galvy minnow bucket, beat up old ice scoop and spud. Everything is still on a homemade wood crate screwed to a 4 foot Speedway metal runners sled. Up in the rafters in the garage....Ahh yes the good old days.

Offline GrizlyGarou

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 27, 2010, 10:03 AM »
We have thumbs and logic, why not use them to their fullest potential? I'd be down for an old school gathering, as long as I can still use my shelter if my little toesies get cold!
"One hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in or the kind of car I drove, but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child."  Anonymous

Offline butchy54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 27, 2010, 11:20 AM »
I have been ice fishing for some time now. I remember as a kid we didn't have an auger. Dad would use a spud bar to chop the holes. Now I have 2 augers for different types of fishing. we never heard of flashers, now most of us have some form of one. A tipup was a tipup, and now we have 50 different types. How much gear do you have that you didn't have 5 years ago. isn't it crazy what we will spend money on? I think 1 time this year we should all go fishing like we did 10 years ago and see how we do. that is a challange to everyone here. Let's have a gathering and see how this works out.
Why would I want to go backwards in life,I'm 62 you were a twinkle in your Dad eye when I was Ice Fishing,and I don't have fond memories of it.Going to the lake plowing Thur 3 feet of snow then shoveling out holes so we could spud them freezing my &ss off Boy that was fun, for some fish maybe?? the winters were a lot colder and we always had snow not like today.I don't know about the rest of you I Welcome the technology of today,The clothing is warmer and safer the gear today make it more enjoyable for everyone.Its nice to remember the old days but for me I like today.I think a gathering is a great idea but let have it a day after we get 2 feet of snow and lets see How many show up???.I have all gotten a little soft in my Old age and why not If I can make my life a little easier I will that the person I have become,and I think a lot of us are the same way.Your comparing Apples and Oranges,In my humble opinion.I would love to see a guy like Porter spud 30 to 40 holes It aint going to happen brother, but if you want to do it be my guest I'm not ::) at this stage of my life I really enjoy easy.  ;D                                                             Art
I don't always Ice Fish,but when I do I always use Indian Hill Traps Stay safe my friends
[One of The G.O.D.S.

Offline GrizlyGarou

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 27, 2010, 12:58 PM »
All those slow days fishing back in the day made you pretty cranky, Art...

Why would I want to go backwards in life,I'm 62 you were a twinkle in your Dad eye when I was Ice Fishing,and I don't have fond memories of it.Going to the lake plowing Thur 3 feet of snow then shoveling out holes so we could spud them freezing my &ss off Boy that was fun, for some fish maybe?? the winters were a lot colder and we always had snow not like today.I don't know about the rest of you I Welcome the technology of today,The clothing is warmer and safer the gear today make it more enjoyable for everyone.Its nice to remember the old days but for me I like today.I think a gathering is a great idea but let have it a day after we get 2 feet of snow and lets see How many show up???.I have all gotten a little soft in my Old age and why not If I can make my life a little easier I will that the person I have become,and I think a lot of us are the same way.Your comparing Apples and Oranges,In my humble opinion.I would love to see a guy like Porter spud 30 to 40 holes It aint going to happen brother, but if you want to do it be my guest I'm not ::) at this stage of my life I really enjoy easy.  ;D                                                             Art
"One hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in or the kind of car I drove, but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child."  Anonymous

Offline butchy54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Nov 27, 2010, 01:14 PM »
How is this cranky ??? ??? ??? I choose to go forward that all,and if old school is your style then good for you but, If I remember you seem to like the gator.Scott its not good or bad I prefer this way to fish that's all.As I said it's my opinion.
                                                                                                                                                                                           Art
I don't always Ice Fish,but when I do I always use Indian Hill Traps Stay safe my friends
[One of The G.O.D.S.

Offline drl823

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 27, 2010, 01:32 PM »
MAN DO WE NEED ICE!!!!!!!!  :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline Porter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nationality: Porterguese of course!
« Reply #13 on: Nov 27, 2010, 03:27 PM »
I'm with art on this one...I love the thrill of the chase and love to learn about a lake...that requires alot of holes...also...I may get to fish half as much as some on this site...I want to get on the fish asap...that's enough of a challenge some days...I'll stick with the technology!

Offline rickyriged

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Obsessed.
« Reply #14 on: Nov 27, 2010, 04:31 PM »
sounds like how i have been doing all along
ihave only been ice fishing for 4 or 5 seasons
did the spud thing for 2 seasons before up grade ing to 6 inchhand auger
that was the best80 dollars i ever spent
:) Ill be home soon.:)

Offline GrizlyGarou

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Nov 27, 2010, 05:18 PM »
MAN DO WE NEED ICE!!!!!!!!  :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

How true!

Offline lenz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 'Ice Only' Fisherman
« Reply #16 on: Nov 28, 2010, 10:03 AM »
i agree with Art, ice fishin' 45 yrs ago was brutal. an axe and a 4' Bronson pole. jiiigin' for fish until we couldn't stand the cold anymore.

i'll take my modern toys anyday..

burp

lenz
Member of G.O.D.S

One pill makes you larger
And one pill makes you small
And the ones that mother gives you
Don't do anything at all

Offline drl823

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Nov 28, 2010, 11:39 AM »
Let's hear it for the "old guys" nice one Art....... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline knotreelly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Nov 28, 2010, 12:35 PM »
using a spoon auger always dull, racing out to be the first at the flag and sliding thru a few and the ride home were the warmth of the heater in the car would put you in a comfortable sleep.

Offline GrizlyGarou

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Nov 28, 2010, 01:27 PM »
Spoon augers aren't that bad if they're sharp, but that only lasts for about 3 inches of ice...

I like to think that using all the electronics has made me a better fisherman. I know what to look for, what turns fish off and what they want way more than I did before I used them. The shelter has made me softer than I used to be, but I can also go out when the winds howling and it's below zero before the wind chill. I've only used a power auger twice, and both of them were way better than hand drilling. One of those is on my list to buy in the next few years...

I still go out without the fancy stuff on early ice, just because I know none of it floats. Early ice is easy to catch fish on, though.

Offline lenz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 'Ice Only' Fisherman
« Reply #20 on: Nov 28, 2010, 02:07 PM »
better ice fishin' suits keep my cigars and flask warm..

go technology!!!

burp

lenz
Member of G.O.D.S

One pill makes you larger
And one pill makes you small
And the ones that mother gives you
Don't do anything at all

Offline BogMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Nov 28, 2010, 05:33 PM »
Spoon augars stay sharp longer than that. have had my origional for almost 40 years. Yes  we sharpen it every few years. Still works fine. Actually use it till we get 10 plus inches then go the easier route. "Jiffy"

Me and my older brother are the only ones who fish. Nobody else really  took to sitting on the ice in the winter.

Offline cerfur

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Nov 29, 2010, 06:02 AM »
um yeah so I still use my grandpas 50 year old gear and spud out most of my holes.......well when one of you guys arent around to drill a few for me thanks for all the help! and I go old school everytime! well maybe this year I will buy some new tip ups........maybe not
catching a fish while fishing is similar to making a baby during sex if it doesn't happen you still had a Darn good time

surflizard

« Reply #23 on: Nov 29, 2010, 06:15 AM »
I used a spud, rode the bucket and used my hand carved jig stick for over 20 years. I'll never forget the early years, but I paid my dues and now that the new technology has really changed ice fishing for the better, I'll stick with it ! For the guys who choose to go old school, more power to ya ! Myself personally, I like the new Warm, dry, comfortable, catch more fish technology !  :thumbsup: :icefish:

Offline newbraintree

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Get a Set!
« Reply #24 on: Nov 29, 2010, 07:12 AM »
ok~ so you are proposing that we walk out (instead of ride), chisel (instead of auger), cook on an open flame (instead of propane)????   Do I have to put plasic bags over my feet to make my sneakers waterproof (instead of my sorels)?  I do like the thought of kicking it old school.... but not when it comes to Ice Fishing!!  Its all about having fun and the gear makes it more fun!!!

:icefish:
, , ,

Offline lavaman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Nov 29, 2010, 07:36 AM »
LOL... Have to sharpen up the old axe. Lots of great memories going back 25 years ago... I think I like where I am these days  ;)
same here with the hatchet also add a pair of ice skates and a fire to warm up and 2 canadian style tip ups that some guy i don't even know gave me to get me started. i went home and copied the design and made 3 more so i could have 5. i still have the first tip up that i used 30 yrs ago.

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Nov 29, 2010, 12:28 PM »
Remember the "old school" ways, but encorporate them into the "new age" technologies and tactics.
Things may have changed, but changed for the better.
That is, of course, until they develop a tip-up that can rig, bait and reel all by  itself!
Then we'd be heading for trouble.

In my limited way, I will choose to go "old school" (for me, that is) and use the hand auger when the power auger is quicker.
I will also choose to jig or use worms instead of shiners, but the bottom line is that I/WE get out on the ice when others would rather couch-surf!

We REALLY need ice!
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #27 on: Nov 29, 2010, 12:43 PM »
there is nothing new under the sun so it goes, its about built in obsolesence.what is new today is a refinement of yesterday.profit driven greed sometimes clouds the judgement of the decisions made for product developement. refinement is great unless the technology is purposefully left out to increse future sales.take mercedes benz or volvo liketime products million mile vehicles profitable company common denoninator give a person a quality product that lasts a lifetime and his children will buy it also this is forever business model and so it goes
GOD bless
mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline Eric_K

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Nov 29, 2010, 01:15 PM »
I just started ice fishing last year and I have no right to comment on the old school thing..
I am sure it was great for that time.. "Not meaning old" :P

But I have fished fresh and salt all of my life.
All I have to say is when I see a new toy for fishing and it has all of the bells and whistle and bright lights. 8)
I get excited about having something new this year.. (Because of technology) if it makes it fun and enjoyable all the power to it..
I say to the wife all the time.
"The old toy I bought a few months ago is out dated and I need to up scale, and all the other guys are buying this one"!!

LOL most of the time she looks at me and says "Are you gone!" and I reply "Yes but it makes me happy"! ;D

Offline Roncarr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it swims I will JIG IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #29 on: Nov 29, 2010, 03:46 PM »
if the ice is 2 inches i still use the gas auger and i will never get off the couch to change the channel ;D
PK flaggs might be up for an old school trip he loves that crap ;D
no flag just a perch doin a drive by 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.