The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: gps waypoints  (Read 606 times)

Offline knotreelly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
gps waypoints
« on: Nov 15, 2010, 07:25 PM »
anybody else use your gps waypoints that you have made while fishing open water in your boat and marking structure, bait balls, contours and overall directions that bring you to those favorite spots, either hand held while walking onto the ice or on your sled or atv?

Offline Bigbait

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: gps waypoints
« Reply #1 on: Nov 15, 2010, 08:13 PM »

All ower boats in coast guard are set up  for Route and way points, all over the Long Island sound.
No guess work you could, put your trap or jig right on the spot.
I thought to take a hand held mark spot where big fish where caught keep a log of it.
simple stuff. If you have gps in you boat mark you way points, take that card out then put in same brand hand held.  :) :) :) :) :)     

Offline jonserfish1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hi, my name is Jeff and I'm a fishahaulic!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 15, 2010, 09:11 PM »
I have actually had to use my hand held on winnie when the snow was blowing sideways and you needed to know where your cusk lines and tip ups are. Helps getting you back to basecamp too. Plenty of marks on it where I've hooked up.

Offline GrizlyGarou

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 15, 2010, 11:35 PM »
I go out in the boat specifically to mark stuff for ice fishing. I have five different ponds mapped out on both my handhelds. I laugh at the pond maps the DIFW has on their website...

"One hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in or the kind of car I drove, but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child."  Anonymous

Offline lavaman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 16, 2010, 09:42 AM »
hey scotty i just got lowrance h2o this year. installed the navionics map chip and that thing is awesome. just learned how to pull up the maps and i haven't got any gps waypoints in it yet but i'm still learning how to use it. it was an "got to have device" like the vex after i realized how helpful they are. i learned about the vex from u and the gps from a friend that fishes sebago alot to find the humps under the ice for lakers.

Offline jeepsw1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Zippo Outdoor pro-staff
« Reply #5 on: Nov 16, 2010, 09:53 AM »
Knot, I do it all the time.  I have a couple local lakes marked out with hot spots, with notes on species caught and other info.  I have a couple of my fovorite lakes down to a science now. ;D

When i run and gun., i always have it on me to mark out productive holes.  More times than not when i come back to it in a couple weeks/next season it produces for me again.

Offline GrizlyGarou

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 16, 2010, 10:20 AM »
hey scotty i just got lowrance h2o this year. installed the navionics map chip and that thing is awesome. just learned how to pull up the maps and i haven't got any gps waypoints in it yet but i'm still learning how to use it. it was an "got to have device" like the vex after i realized how helpful they are. i learned about the vex from u and the gps from a friend that fishes sebago alot to find the humps under the ice for lakers.

Sweet. The two together will definitely lead to more fish! As dorky as it is, geocaching is a good way to home your gps skills. Even my five year old knows how to follow my gps to a spot, with or without a compass!

"One hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in or the kind of car I drove, but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child."  Anonymous

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.