Author Topic: Vexilar Double Vision  (Read 11163 times)

Offline fishville

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Vexilar Double Vision
« Reply #30 on: Nov 23, 2010, 10:57 PM »
Looks like a good idea, maybe a little bulky. Honestly if you needed something like it you could build it youself. For the price you could mix and match any camera and sonar that you liked.
Sometimes it feels like I live in a Pat McManus story!

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
« Reply #31 on: Nov 24, 2010, 10:20 AM »
Looks like a good idea, maybe a little bulky. Honestly if you needed something like it you could build it youself. For the price you could mix and match any camera and sonar that you liked.

Maybe, but you would almost need to have the LCD style displays instead of the CRT.  A CRT monitor would be too bulky to do this with I think.

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #32 on: Nov 24, 2010, 11:47 AM »
I wouldnt go for it with the lakes up here as stained as they are   have a camera and leave it home 99% of the time
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #33 on: Nov 24, 2010, 01:09 PM »
So answer me this.  Is the sounder head shooting the signal from something separate just under the ice or at the camera head?  If the camer head, you would only get depth and readings from wherever this is positioned in the water, yes?  Everything above the head in the water column is lost and if you wanted true depth of the that part of the lake you have some addition to do.  If shooting from just under the ice, it's bound to pick up the camera cord and head, yes?  Maybe I'm not understanding this concept all that well. 
Chris Raymond

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
« Reply #34 on: Nov 24, 2010, 01:29 PM »
So answer me this.  Is the sounder head shooting the signal from something separate just under the ice or at the camera head?  If the camer head, you would only get depth and readings from wherever this is positioned in the water, yes?  Everything above the head in the water column is lost and if you wanted true depth of the that part of the lake you have some addition to do.  If shooting from just under the ice, it's bound to pick up the camera cord and head, yes?  Maybe I'm not understanding this concept all that well. 

I'm pretty sure there's 2 different cables, one for the transducer, one for the camera.  Not combined.  You could put the ducer in one hole and the camera in a different one.

Offline eyestroker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • McHenry County, IL
« Reply #35 on: Nov 24, 2010, 01:47 PM »
I'm pretty sure there's 2 different cables, one for the transducer, one for the camera.  Not combined.  You could put the ducer in one hole and the camera in a different one.
  Even if you put it down another hole, you'd still pick it up if it was close,  wouldn't ya?  Maybe the made the camera out of stealth technology.  ;D
"He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither."  -Benjamin Franklin
"In times of change, the Patriot is a scarce man; brave, hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a Patriot."  Mark Twain

Offline fishville

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #36 on: Nov 24, 2010, 08:41 PM »
Maybe, but you would almost need to have the LCD style displays instead of the CRT.  A CRT monitor would be too bulky to do this with I think.
You have a point. Unless you mounted the flasher to the front edge of the crt and put the battery right behind it.
Sometimes it feels like I live in a Pat McManus story!

Offline two_fish_tommy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • ICEFISHING IS LIFE!!!
« Reply #37 on: Nov 24, 2010, 09:30 PM »
when i looked at the add it read best flasher and best camera on the market but i dont know if the vexilar was blocking it or if the marcums they were talking about was on the next page :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :clap: :clap: :clap: :woot:j/k no need for anyone to get mad. the only thing i would worry about is one battery for two units, dosent make sense :)

I DONT CARE I STILL BLEED PURPLE AND GOLD, SKOL VIKINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline littlesturgeonguy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Nov 24, 2010, 10:09 PM »
you could probably use it to tie your shack down. :P

Offline Greg2ha

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pollock $1.49 a pound!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #39 on: Nov 25, 2010, 09:31 AM »
Cool but I think I would have to mortgage the homestead for that bad boy!  :P
Fish on!

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #40 on: Nov 25, 2010, 01:35 PM »
Okay, if that's the case, I simply do not see what advantage exists over two separate units other than using a single battery...if they've overcome drain and usage time issues.  Two units would certainly be easier to use than a single more bulkier unit in my opinion.  Plus, you wouldn't have to be stuck hauling the combined unit if all you know you're going to need or want is a single one.  Plus, if you have a couple of guys fishing out of the same shelter, it wouldn't allow one to take either the flasher or the camera and go hole hopping without leaving the other blind.  I really don't see this idea catching on. 
Chris Raymond

Offline AdamT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Nov 25, 2010, 04:47 PM »
I'll bet that the combo unit will fit into a 5 gallon bucket. I've never fished with a camera, but I'm willing to bet that the camera usually stays with the guy that bought it. There is also a cost savings.
Now that it seems like I'm defending it, I'd like to say that I don't think Id buy one. I like to upgrade things if they don't work out, if the camera turns out to be a turd  then you would either have to buy a new case, battery etc... or sell it as a unit. I am, however, considering trying to add a camera onto my FL-20. I think that this is decent idea, but this product isn't for me.

Adam

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Nov 25, 2010, 04:58 PM »
The camrea not being daylight veiwable is all it took for me to decide not to want one. I use a camera in the summer to, my current camera is ok in the daylight but new ones are even better with even better cameras. Does anyone know if the vex cameras use a heated screen or not?

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
« Reply #43 on: Nov 27, 2010, 06:40 PM »
The camrea not being daylight veiwable is all it took for me to decide not to want one. I use a camera in the summer to, my current camera is ok in the daylight but new ones are even better with even better cameras. Does anyone know if the vex cameras use a heated screen or not?

According to the vex website it is supposed to be good from -22° F to 150° F.  No mention if it's heated.

And only a 9hr battery runtime on the camera alone.  Hope no one wants to use this on a trip where there's no charging access.

Offline chris3303

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Nov 28, 2010, 10:30 AM »
I dont think if I owned it I would run both units all the time. Would be nice to just pop the camera in to look for a break or structure at time if you suspect something. Thats what I use the camera for. Not for the actual fishing. As far as the battery life, if you buy this, get another battery. Not a big deal. If your going somewhere on a trip its a damn good idea to have a spare battery anyway.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.