The ice fishing Wisconsin boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Just moved to the Milwaukee area....  (Read 3632 times)

Offline SpartyOn

• IceShanty Rookie
Just moved to the Milwaukee area....
« on: Nov 07, 2010, 10:24 AM »
I just moved to Franklin and was wondering if anybody can get me started on some local lakes to fish once the ice gets here.  I am willing to travel to any lakes within an hour to give them a shot (looks like there are a lot of lakes in the area).  I mostly target panfish (bluegill, crappie, perch) but would also be interested in walleye.  Not looking for exact hot spots just some lakes to try.

All and any info given is appreciated.

Look forward to hearing back and maybe fishing with some of you!

Offline gaudetskie

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's called Leinenkugels and it means Great Beer!
Re: Just moved to the Milwaukee area....
« Reply #1 on: Nov 08, 2010, 08:30 PM »
Did you move from East Lansing SpartyOn?

If your going to play Russian Roulette, use a gun with a clip and don't go first!

Offline SpartyOn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 08, 2010, 09:30 PM »
I actually moved from SW Va with my job but am originally from MI and I am a very proud MSU Alumnus

Offline gaudetskie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Nov 08, 2010, 09:36 PM »
I was just out on an install job in Lansing (3 months) So I recognised the Sparty On as Mi State. I'm a bit further north than Mil. but be patient those milwaukee boys are a little slow in responding sometimes. (kidding HIMO ;D) I think it's all the beer. Welcome to the site!
Nick.

If your going to play Russian Roulette, use a gun with a clip and don't go first!

Offline SpartyOn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 08, 2010, 09:46 PM »
Thanks! I've been on for a few years but last winter had limited ice time as I was in NC and then VA.... Really looking forward to getting some quality ice time this winter.. Can't wait to hit up some lakes and meet some good people. How far north are ya? I might get an early itch before we get good ice down here and head up that way

Offline gaudetskie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 09, 2010, 06:38 AM »
Do you know where Eau Claire is?
Nick.

Offline pvtschultz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 09, 2010, 11:09 AM »
A decent tip-up lake near you is going to be Big Muskego Lake in Waukesha county.  We always do pretty well catching early morning northerns in the 24-30 inch range; the limit is 30" if I remember correctly.  If you have hard water transportation or don't mind a lot of walking, Bass Bay of the lake is also a good jigging area.  There are plenty of size and catch limits on this lake so be sure to read up on them first.  There is a public launch and two private (pay) launches.  Also, lake trout fishing in the harbors of Lake Michigan can also be very fulfilling.  I'm no expert there, but have caught a few on tip-ups.  A little further West is Tichigan Lake which offers decent jig fishing from my experience. 

Offline JigginRod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 09, 2010, 11:24 AM »
I have a brother who lives down by there a lake that he goes out on Muskego Lake like pvtschultz mentioned but another lake just southwest of it a little bit is Wind Lake. Hes told me that Wind Lake has good panfish numbers and decent size too.

Offline BigJohn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 09, 2010, 04:24 PM »
just stay on this site and i'll take you out on wind lake and others  i fish often.

Offline SpartyOn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Nov 10, 2010, 07:48 PM »
GAUDETSKIE - I do now that I just looked it up on mapquest... Makin ice up there yet?

PVTSCHULTZ - Thanks for the info I will def have to hit up Bass Bay and Tichigan... Ive also heard about the trout but would have no idea on how to even start.

JIGGIN - Thanks for the info.... I'll def hit up Wind Lake at some point I'm sure

BIGJOHN - I'll def be on here always looking for info and new tactics such a great bunch of ppl on here.  I'd be interested in meeting up once we get some ice

Offline gaudetskie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Nov 10, 2010, 09:49 PM »
GAUDETSKIE - I do now that I just looked it up on mapquest... Makin ice up there yet?

Sorry but not yet. >:(
Nick.

Offline esox13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Nov 10, 2010, 11:14 PM »
Lake Geneva and Delavan Lake are excellent lakes and not very far from you. There are a lot of really good lakes within an hour of MIlwaukee so finding action once the season starts shouldn't be a problem. Gills are suspended at 30ft in 65fow on Lake Geneva right now.

Offline pvtschultz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Nov 11, 2010, 06:17 AM »
I caught my largest northern on Delavan using a tip-up.  I can't say that we caught anything else though...  I think we'll need a guide next time, although we do have flashers now. 

Offline SpartyOn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Nov 11, 2010, 06:50 PM »
ESOX - Any lakes in particular you think will fit the bill for what I'm looking for?

Also are there any mom and pop bait/tackle shops in the area or is it all just Gander and Cabelas?

Offline esox13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Nov 11, 2010, 07:18 PM »
The lakes I mentioned are a great place to start. In Waukesha Cty there are quite a bit more. I like Beaver Lake off Hwy 83 (no atv allowed) for panfish. Nagawicka is a good multi species lake along with Okauchee.

I only use local bait shops - while in Waukesha Cty I go to Dick Smiths (www.dicksmithslivebait .com). There is usually a bait shop fairly near the launch for most of the lakes in the region - usually pick up some good info as well.

All the lakes I have mentioned are consistent producers - some are tougher than others to fish, but I have never had a bad experience on any of them.

Good luck and tight lines!

Offline SpartyOn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Nov 11, 2010, 11:30 PM »
Thanks I appreciate the info and like most I like to support the small guys as much as possible so it's good to hear the big boys havent closed them all down.

Offline pvtschultz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Nov 12, 2010, 07:34 AM »
There is also Bob's Bait on 1126 S 108th Street if you are in the West Allis area for some reason.  Their prices are very good and they seem to always be well stocked. 

Offline newincudahy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Failure to prepare is prepairing to fail.
« Reply #17 on: Nov 17, 2010, 09:38 PM »
Wind , Waubeesee, Tichigan, Milwaukee harbour for giant brown trout and steelies.
Fish Now! Cuz you'll be dead a long time.

Offline MaxAntonious

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Nov 18, 2010, 11:19 AM »
There is also Bob's Bait on 1126 S 108th Street if you are in the West Allis area for some reason.  Their prices are very good and they seem to always be well stocked. 

Oh my goodness, I grew up going there!!!  I live in Green Bay now but was Milwaukee born and raised. 

I have fished everywhere down there.  Eagle Springs, Phantom lake (watch out for sand bars), Buehla, Pewaukee Lake, Potters Lake...

Jump over to you local sporting goods place and get a 'Sportsman's Wisconsin fishing map guild book' for southern WI.  Great books I have several.  Will give you tons of lakes with topo maps, launches and helpful info.
Fish Hard or Go Home

Offline BigBassLee

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Nov 18, 2010, 11:40 AM »
I live right over the border in Illinois.  I used to live in Milwaukee.  I saw a lot of my favorite lakes mentioned already.  Nashotah, Pewaukee, Como, Lauderdale, Whitewater, Tichigan, Little Muskego, Eagle, Racine harbor (brown trout), Elizabeth/Marie (twin Lakes), Center Lake, Shangrila, Silver, and Paddock are some of the ones I go to in Wi. that weren't mentioned.  There are a few quarries I used to fish that I can't mention (illegal). The Fox Chain O' Lakes has awesome ice fishing in Illinois.  Come join us for first ice on Pistakee. We do very well there.
Big Bass Lee

Offline Tipup Marathon

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Yay fishing
« Reply #20 on: Nov 20, 2010, 10:42 PM »
I think you went past your limit there.

Offline drkstr71

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Nov 24, 2010, 10:52 AM »
Sparty- I would try Wind lake. Good pike, walleye, and gill fishing. lots of access points, and a bait shop right by the lake. It is also very close to home. I live near right by the airport and it's close enogh to get a few hours in right after work. :tipup:

Offline fishinjim

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Quit Wishin, Go Fishin
« Reply #22 on: Nov 26, 2010, 10:17 AM »
Another good way to find good lakes and whats up. Some of the local fishing clubs have speakers that talk about local lakes. I belong to Okauchee fishing club and on Dec 7- Guide and tournament fisherman Brian Moe will talk about ice fishing with plastics. They also have fish talk during where people tell where, how, and what they are doing on the lakes. They meet at Knights of Columbus Hall, 1800 S. 92nd St. West Allis at 7:00. Very Informative.
http://www.shad-rapp.com/Ice%20Fish%20Baby.mp3 
Past President Okauchee Fishing Club

Offline BigBassLee

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Nov 26, 2010, 10:50 AM »
I think you went past your limit there.

Check the regs on the Fox Chain O' Lakes.
Big Bass Lee

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #24 on: Nov 30, 2010, 05:41 PM »
You're in Franklin, but there's a ton of lakes with 45min in all directions. Don't overlook a drive to the Oconomowoc area. 20 lakes in an 18 mile radius. Everything from trout to walleye to pannies to pike.

Fowler: right downtown Ocon, best average size bluegills, work for better than average perch, occasional nice walleyes and a ton and a half of snot rockets

Oconomowoc: better than average gills and walleyes but limited access

LaBelle: nice gills if you can find 'em, tons of sub legal walleyes, better than average pike but no numbers and lots of yellow bass and some crappies

Okauchee: Better than average pike with lots of average gills

There's also the Genesee lakes (one stocked with trout), the Nemahbins and Nashotahs (upper and lower), Pewaukee, Ashippun, Golden, Nagawicka and North................. ........ Lots of water here.

Your choices? Pick something close and easy and learn it. When you get the itch for an adventure it's not too far away. I still wanna try the harbors on the big lake sometime. Less than an hour from my house..............

Welcome to the neighborhood and good luck to you this year!

/m
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline SpartyOn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Dec 01, 2010, 08:02 PM »
Thanks again for all the info and input... Im def getting the itch to get out now.   Seeing some decent ice forming in the area.  What lakes freeze over the earliest around here?

fishinjim - do they meet every week there or is it like a once a month meeting?

Offline fishinjim

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Quit Wishin, Go Fishin
« Reply #26 on: Dec 01, 2010, 11:14 PM »
The first and third Tuesday of every month. Check out the Milw journal sports section to see who is talking that week.
http://www.shad-rapp.com/Ice%20Fish%20Baby.mp3 
Past President Okauchee Fishing Club

Offline pvtschultz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Dec 03, 2010, 02:27 PM »
Thanks again for all the info and input... Im def getting the itch to get out now.   Seeing some decent ice forming in the area.  What lakes freeze over the earliest around here?

fishinjim - do they meet every week there or is it like a once a month meeting?

It sounds like Big Muskego has 3+ inches of ice on it.  I'm going to give it one more week (I have too much to do anyways) and then I'm drilling holes.   :tipup:

Offline SpartyOn

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Dec 04, 2010, 11:28 PM »
Got a buddy heading over from MI next weekend and maybe another friend coming up from Chicago... What's the best walleye lake around that has ice we could try?  I think were gonna target perch, walleye and gills

Offline pvtschultz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Dec 05, 2010, 04:30 PM »
Lake Puckaway in Green Lake Co (about a two hour drive from Milwaukee) is supposed to have good 'eye fishing.  I've never fished it, but have hunted off of it for the last six years or so. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.