Author Topic: Looking for quality warm ice fishing gloves  (Read 8237 times)

Offline jsbz

• IceShanty Rookie
Looking for quality warm ice fishing gloves
« on: Oct 21, 2010, 07:45 PM »
Last year I bought a pair of IceArmor gloves and they were not very good at all.  My fingers were always cold.  Can someone suggest a good quality pair that keeps their hands warm?

Offline GrnDay33

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Looking for quality warm ice fishing gloves
« Reply #1 on: Oct 21, 2010, 08:03 PM »
Those ice armor gloves were what I was going to suggest...lol, Got them for christmas 2 years ago from my Brother in law and love them. Guess our hand temperatures differ a bit.

Offline b turdy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Oct 21, 2010, 08:08 PM »
well if those didn't work and if you wanted to splurge a bit.......

$80 at Cabelas.....

Offline acrawfor

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Oct 21, 2010, 08:10 PM »
I don't usually wear gloves (don't usually get cold either though), but when I do its usually just those cheap fabric ones that come like 2 pairs for a buck and then a pair of neoprene gloves over them. Don't really like wearing them because it can be a pain working with fish and jigs, but that combo keeps my hands warm. Biggest thing is keeping them dry.

Offline silvercreeker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Oct 21, 2010, 08:19 PM »
Man, my Ice Armors are too hot.  Love them.
The Greenhornet's caught more fish then you've lied about, Gustafson!

Offline highsparks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Oct 21, 2010, 08:44 PM »
http://www.snosuit.com/products/

I have struggled with cold hands for years , until last year .  I have the snosuit gauntlet mitt .  They are the ticket , very lightweight , yet the warmest glove I have ever worn.  I used to use disposable heat packs by the box , not no more .  These are not only the warmest , but also the best made and designed .   Very easy to put on and take off , not bulky and clumbsy and very comfortable .  Best part is they were only a couple bucks more than the ice armors that froze my hands.....
Its better to be thought an idiot , than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.......

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #6 on: Oct 21, 2010, 08:54 PM »
Eskimo Mittens do it for me.  If/when I get cold I just add a disposable heat pack.

Offline 1buckeye

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Oct 21, 2010, 09:04 PM »
I bought the Snosuit gloves last year and they are extremely warm.

Offline fish-e

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Oct 21, 2010, 09:55 PM »
I too purchased a pair of the Armor gloves and have to say for the money I wasn't impressed.  I normally don't complain about the cold so I will continue to wear them (use them for snow blowing the driveway).  Keep the gloves dry on the inside and out, and have heard people wear latex gloves underneath.  My personal favorite ... wool gloves with leather palms and thinsulate on the inside.  If you can, try to find ones that go over your wrist.   
Add a day to your life, go fishing.

Offline Krazykaiser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Oct 21, 2010, 10:04 PM »
I have struggled with cold hands for years , until last year .  I have the snosuit gauntlet mitt .  They are the ticket , very lightweight , yet the warmest glove I have ever worn.  I used to use disposable heat packs by the box , not no more .  These are not only the warmest , but also the best made and designed .   Very easy to put on and take off , not bulky and clumbsy and very comfortable .  Best part is they were only a couple bucks more than the ice armors that froze my hands.....

arrggghh I wish I could try the large and extra large before buying a pair of those gauntlets.   Some gloves at the large size are too small or just right....  but other gloves work better at extra large.   I have yet to see any of these at the retail stores.

Offline Mr. Shanny

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • When the goin' gets tough, I go ice fishing!!!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: Oct 21, 2010, 10:05 PM »
I bought a pair of the ice armor mittens from a Goodwill store......YES THEY WERE THE REAL THING! They didn't show signs of wear at all, and for 2.99, how could I pass that up?  I wore them a few tims and I wouldn't pay full price for them at a sporting goods store. I wasn't that impressed with them. Usually I don't wear gloves in my portable shack because of the heater, but when I fish outside, I would like a pair of thin but warm gloves as well. I would like to hear what others have to say as well.

Offline Krazykaiser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Oct 21, 2010, 10:27 PM »
Just bought a pair of XL Snosuit Gauntlets. On Back order ::) Guess if they are to big I can take em back and get the Lg size :P

Trooper Bri

« Reply #12 on: Oct 21, 2010, 10:59 PM »
It may be that your hands are more to blame than the glove. I've been using the original Ice Armor gloves for 4 seasons, and there's days when my hands are cold in them. But they work fine for the most part. They're also thinner than most gloves, which is a plus and despite being beat up, are still my favorites for most days.
I bought a pair of the SnoSuit gloves last year and like them a bit more than the Ice Armor, but they are a bit bulkier. I'm a bit of a glove hound so I also own the Ice Armor Extreme, which are overkill for fishing here, but work nicely with quads/snowmobiles.

But I've gotten my fill of inserting and removing my damp/wet hands from gloves and having the liners turn inside-out and pork me royally. I'm going to buy a pair of poly fleece glommits I saw at a hardware store in VT last weekend, and the Eskimo Mittens posted by FISHFORPIKE caught my eye. Maybe I'll try those too. I like the idea of easily tossing a heat pack in them if needed.

Offline thehunter696

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Land of the Midnight Sun
« Reply #13 on: Oct 21, 2010, 11:09 PM »
lol, and i'm a polar bear in the winter, rarley using gloves at all when out ice fishing. with the fire always close by.
The nameless men who nameless rivers travel,
And in strange valleys greet strange deaths alone;
The grim, intrepid ones who would unravel
The mysteries that shroud the Polar Zone.         

by Robert W. Service

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #14 on: Oct 22, 2010, 08:47 AM »
I'm going to buy a pair of poly fleece glommits I saw at a hardware store in VT last weekend, and the Eskimo Mittens posted by FISHFORPIKE caught my eye. Maybe I'll try those too. I like the idea of easily tossing a heat pack in them if needed.
They are definitely easy off and on - no sticking to the synthetic fleece liner.  They also make gloves, but I really like the mitts.  Take them off for working with your hands and slip them right back on.  But then I don't spend much of time out in the weather.  And one more thing - on those nice clear, crisp, cold days?  Don't attempt to wipe your face on the back of those mitts, you'll only do it once.  ;)

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #15 on: Oct 22, 2010, 01:40 PM »
I bought a pair of Ice Armor X gloves and they keep my hands good and warm. They have a zippered compartment on the back of the hand to put a heat pack in, but I have never had to use it. I thought about buying the mittens instead, but I like the gloves.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline rcjim

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Oct 23, 2010, 05:54 PM »
I've seen several mentions of the Ice armor gloves but nobody has mentioned the arctic armor gloves. Has anyone tried these, I just got a pair with the suit but haven't tried them yet.

Offline fin-n-feather

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Shanty rocks!!!
« Reply #17 on: Oct 24, 2010, 07:54 AM »
I've seen several mentions of the Ice armor gloves but nobody has mentioned the arctic armor gloves. Has anyone tried these, I just got a pair with the suit but haven't tried them yet.
Got a pair with my IDI suit 2 years ago and have tried them.  Did not like them. Hands sweated bad in them and hands got cold fast.  Gloves do not breath at all, just like the suit. Use them now for shoveling snow. Fin

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #18 on: Oct 24, 2010, 10:06 AM »
I dont use gloves for the most part, a gerbings hand warmer is the ticket for me.

I bought first generation gloves from Ice Armour and hated them, they froze up, they did not live up to the hype. I love my ice Armour suit but the gloves where brutal. I hear better things about the glvoes now, but it is hard to take the plunge for a second time

Offline jimmygunns

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Add more bacon, son!
« Reply #19 on: Oct 25, 2010, 08:25 PM »
I got a pair of the 1st gen Ice Armor gloves, & I only wear them when I'm not going to be getting them wet!  They froze up hard!  I do wear a pair of Cabela's Pinnacle gloves I got 4 or 5 years ago.  By far the warmest gloves I've ever had.  They were 49 bones for the last several years, but I think I just saw them in the last print I got from Cabela's & they were like 69 bones now?  WT*?  I guess they had the cost of living go up in China or something to raise them 20.  Cabela's is going downhill, IMO!

Offline panfishman13

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Oct 26, 2010, 09:05 PM »
some brands have a pocket on the back of the hand that you can shove those little disposable heat packets in. mine don't, so i just stick a heat pocket in the glove itself

Offline fin-n-feather

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Shanty rocks!!!
« Reply #21 on: Oct 28, 2010, 04:46 PM »
I bought the Snosuit gloves last year and they are extremely warm.

How bulky are they?  Are they easy to get on and off if your hands are wet and do the insides stay put when you try to get them off if your hands are wet?  Also wondering, do they have an internal cuff or is it just a straight shot in?  Alot of questions but also looking for a good glove.  Thanks  Fin

Offline Tainterslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Oct 29, 2010, 08:21 PM »
Get a pair of choppers if you want warm hands. Not the orange county choppers... the mittens. It's nice to get leather outers and then a wool liner. Tough enough to move logs on a fire.  They will last you many years, unlike the synthetic junk.

Offline AdamT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Nov 08, 2010, 07:47 PM »
I buy a dozen of these http://www.palmflex.com/majestic-2152tw-bald-eagle-winter-mechanics-gloves-waterproof-pair.html every year for work and bring 2 pair with me every day for ice fishing. They are warm, waterproof and they are "made in China" at "made in China" prices.

Offline markrazzy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Nov 12, 2010, 08:04 AM »
I'm not a big glove guy.  I bought the Ice Armour X Mittens last year, and basically only wear those when my hands get cold.  They do a great job of warming my hands up and keeping them warm.  If I need to run to a tip up, they pull off very easy.  Again, I'm really not a glove guy though... hunting, ice fishing, walleye fishing.  Can't hold a gun or a rod with gloves on... need the bare hands.  But IMO the mittens do a great job.  Actually lost one of the mittens on my last trip last year, so I'll be buying another pair this weekend. 

Offline P Meyette

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Nov 12, 2010, 11:00 AM »
do not spend alot of money on gloves just put a pair of latex gloves under neath and your hands will not get cold

Offline walleye tattoo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wisconsin chapter
« Reply #26 on: Nov 12, 2010, 09:30 PM »
Ice armor mitts the only way to go.JMO.

Live to fish forced to work

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #27 on: Nov 13, 2010, 02:00 PM »
Vexilar makes some that look really nice.  Part of their "cold snap" line.  Has a really big cuff that goes right over the top of your jacket. 
Never Stop Never Stopping

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #28 on: Nov 16, 2010, 05:44 PM »
I hate gloves and try to go without them as long as I can   90% of the time I wear 2 types   all goverment issued !   wool liners

and or  nomex fight gloves

they work great inside any glove (make sure the glove isnt too tight )   and when you wear the wool inserts if they get wet they warm up  too     I always have a few pair with me
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #29 on: Nov 17, 2010, 04:02 PM »
I get a couple of pairs of Kinco insulated gloves every year. I go through about 2 pairs or rotate them so they can dry. They're cheap and fairly warm. If really cold, I put a heat pack in the palm.
I like them because you can slip wet hands in and out of them without pulling out the liners. If this has ever happened to you, you know what a pain in the butt it is to get them back in properly. They are cheap enough so you can beat the crude outta them without feeling guilty.

Another suggestion is to check out Outdoor Research (OR) as they have gloves and mitts with removable liners that are awesome but expensive. They are used by the mountain climber so they are rugged, separate the liners from the glove for drying, no worries about inverted liners and warm. I have a few different pairs of OR gloves and mitts but always come back to the Kinco's.

Check em out.

JIGGIN.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.