The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Jiffy's new auger  (Read 5242 times)

Offline Fish-icer

• Team IceShanty Addict
Jiffy's new auger
« on: Oct 12, 2010, 09:36 PM »
Let me know if anyone purchases Jiffy's new propane powered auger...Would like to hear some reviews on it.  Saw it at a Sports Show this weekend and want to know how it works out in cold conditions.

Offline jimyoumook

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Jiffy's new auger
« Reply #1 on: Oct 14, 2010, 08:23 PM »
that makes 2 of us

Offline hookemandcookem

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Work: that annoying time between fishing trips!
« Reply #2 on: Oct 19, 2010, 10:19 PM »
Id like to know how efficient it is? does it take a small propane bottle I imagine?

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline SINX53

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Oct 21, 2010, 12:45 PM »
Talked to the reps for Jiffy at the Fleet Farm Outdoors show at Lambeau in Sept. They said that a bottle should last about the same as a 3/4 of a tank of gas. They also said that the power is immediate unlike gas where you have the hesitation before drilling.

Big plus no smoke or oil on the clothes.

servocam

« Reply #5 on: Oct 21, 2010, 12:58 PM »
Propane version would be nice - don't have to have to worry about gas spilling out of the tank, the smell of the gas..etc.  No smelling up the shack when drilling inside.  I read One 1-lb. propane cylinder is approximately equivalent to one tank of gas on other augers. 

I see it is $500 for 8" and $520 for 10".  The Jiffy will be at the local GM this weekend for their Ice Expo.  I'll take a look at it.  I don't have a gas auger yet and this would be a good option, but pricey (I'm too frugal and may have the chance to pick up a good used gas one).

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Oct 21, 2010, 09:39 PM »
How much fuel does a 2 stroker hold?  1 quart?    If so then it is going to use 4-5 green bottles to equal 1 gallon of 2 stroke, I guess it is just me, but I think fuel would get far too costly over time for the propane version.
Don

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Oct 21, 2010, 09:56 PM »
How much fuel does a 2 stroker hold?  1 quart?    If so then it is going to use 4-5 green bottles to equal 1 gallon of 2 stroke, I guess it is just me, but I think fuel would get far too costly over time for the propane version.

Its not just you.

If LP augers become popular the bulk fill adapter to fill pounders just may be in high demand.

Offline jopes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Oct 21, 2010, 10:02 PM »
Its not just you.

If LP augers become popular the bulk fill adapter to fill pounders just may be in high demand.

from my understanding the LP pumped into 20 pound grill tanks is not filtered like the green bottles used on your lantern or Coleman stove.  From reading Jiffy's site on the new propane auger there is no filter for the propane.  My guess is you run the risk of plugging something up with refilling the green bottles.
Don

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Oct 22, 2010, 08:55 AM »
If thats a concern I'm sure you can rig up a filter of some sort. For what pounders cost nowdays it can get expensive quick. It kinda annoys me that their is no fuel filter on Jiffy augers. I had to put one on my 2hp. Depending on the screen in the carburetor as the filter is not a good idea.

Offline backwoodswalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #10 on: Oct 22, 2010, 12:28 PM »
Guys you can get a 12' hose and a filter from most sport stores now. People used them for small grills and lanterns. A 20 pound tank here is 15 bucks= 20 1 pound bottles at 2.50 each. BIG SAVINGS. Gander mountain has them so does dunhams, Or you can do as me and get it at fleet  farm. I usually use this for buddy heater with a 10 pound bottle. Small light and easy to transport. I am gonna give these augers a year and see how they do. If good, I will get one. With the problems of ethanol this may be a good thing.

servocam

« Reply #11 on: Oct 22, 2010, 04:00 PM »
For someone like me that only drills 3-6 holes on an outing, I'm sure it would be just fine.  For those chasing the fish and drilling a new one every 15 minutes, I can see it will be a P-I-T-A.

Offline ICE KID

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • got perch?
« Reply #12 on: Oct 22, 2010, 08:45 PM »
Propane version would be nice - don't have to have to worry about gas spilling out of the tank, the smell of the gas..etc.  No smelling up the shack when drilling inside.  I read One 1-lb. propane cylinder is approximately equivalent to one tank of gas on other augers. 

I see it is $500 for 8" and $520 for 10".  The Jiffy will be at the local GM this weekend for their Ice Expo.  I'll take a look at it.  I don't have a gas auger yet and this would be a good option, but pricey (I'm too frugal and may have the chance to pick up a good used gas one).

I saw on the cabelas web site that 1 tank was equinlant to 1 tank of gas, but I'd take a rep's knowledge over cabelas any day.
give me 5 good reasons to head home and I'll pretend to consider it.

Offline iceman clem

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • catch all kind of fish big and small
« Reply #13 on: Oct 22, 2010, 09:08 PM »
if i use my stove  or lanteran  on the ice the green bottle starts to freeze on the out side i wounder would this be a problem or not

servocam

« Reply #14 on: Oct 23, 2010, 12:30 PM »
So I spoke to the Jiffy Rep at the FL GM Ice Expo this morning and had him fire it up in the store.  It is pretty quite running compared to the 2-stroke gas and of course a lot cleaner smelling.  I drilled him on how long the 1lb propane tank will last.  He said their test results give you about an hour of non-stop drilling, so hundreds of holes on one, 1lb tank of propane.  With new blades, it will chew 24 inches of ice in 8 seconds.  I also asked about a filter and he said because it is a high-pressure system, the need for a filter is not required like on low pressure systems. 

He did say that some were taking a 28 ft hose and plumbing that in off their 10# and 20# tanks. At $3.50 per a 1lb tank, being able to drill well over a hundred holes, would work well for me.....just don't have $500+ budgeted to buy one.

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #15 on: Oct 23, 2010, 07:03 PM »
Hmm, soooo, about 450 holes through 24 inches of ice per tank? if my math is right. Jiffy(as well as Cabelas) Claim 1 hr of run time under load per tank.

Offline Hardwater Problem

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Oct 25, 2010, 11:49 PM »
Thanks servocam, I am on the market for a power auger this year and this sounds pretty cool.  Any bad press on this thing yet, how is jiffy for augers anyway???  I've been a member for years, so I dont wish to start a war on brands, but are there any serious consistent problems with the jiffy's???
IF YOU CAN'T STAND BEHIND OUR TROOPS, GO GET IN FRONT OF THEM!!!     

Offline Dana

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Everything Ice Fishing!
« Reply #17 on: Oct 26, 2010, 04:26 PM »
Here is our demo video.  I can take more if there are features that anyone wants to see.  That's not me in the video by the way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XT5BHSUknpc

When I took it out of the box I filled it with oil, hooked up the propane tank, and pulled the handle; and it started in one pull.  This is a brand new unit.
Glens Army Navy Store
701 NW 4th St
Grand Rapids, MN 55744

Toll Free: 1-888-525-1201
Local: 218-326-1201

[email protected]

GlensOutdoors.com

Follow Us on Twitter @GlensOutdoors

servocam

« Reply #18 on: Oct 26, 2010, 04:37 PM »
I searched for reviews, but came up empty.  Pry because it is new for this season. Buy one and let us know :)

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jiffy ProStaff/PK Lures ProStaff/Clam Powerstick
« Reply #19 on: Oct 28, 2010, 10:00 PM »
I can say that I picked one up at the local Gander Mountain this afternoon....not nearly as heavy as the Jiffy Legend I currently own, but I cannot see spending 500 bucks on something that I do not need at this current time....maybe if mine goes out...

Offline MEMAGGIENCOMET

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Oct 29, 2010, 11:35 PM »
I was at gander tonight and they had one on display.  The thing weighs a ton.  You would have to take a break every couple of holes lugging that thing around. Not for me.

Offline gaudetskie

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's called Leinenkugels and it means Great Beer!
« Reply #21 on: Oct 29, 2010, 11:59 PM »
I would think it would be decent for re-opening holes in the shack. If my 1972 Ardisam (Eskimo) would ever die I would look at it more seriously. My 6'' hand powered Nils should still get beter fuel economy!! I wonder if the throttle sticks on the LP models? ;D

If your going to play Russian Roulette, use a gun with a clip and don't go first!

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #22 on: Oct 30, 2010, 09:21 AM »
I would think it would be decent for re-opening holes in the shack. If my 1972 Ardisam (Eskimo) would ever die I would look at it more seriously. My 6'' hand powered Nils should still get beter fuel economy!! I wonder if the throttle sticks on the LP models? ;D

They have almost NO throttle return spring on them.  ::)

Offline gaudetskie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Oct 30, 2010, 09:33 AM »

No kidding Stumper! Also all the linkage looks to be plastic.  >:( As I said my auger is a little older ('72  ;D) so are all newer augers going with the plastic linkage??

If your going to play Russian Roulette, use a gun with a clip and don't go first!

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #24 on: Oct 30, 2010, 09:37 AM »
They use a plastic throttle handle with a steel throttle cable coated with plastic. I just dont get why they cant put a stronger throttle return spring on it. NONE of them on the show room floor will return to closed a lot of the time.

Offline gaudetskie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Oct 30, 2010, 09:51 AM »
Now imagine that on a cold day, or getting wet! Looks like trouble!

Offline Ben Ekrem

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Oct 30, 2010, 02:48 PM »
I used the Model 34 pro II last winter and never once did i have a problem with the throttle sticking.
If any one has any thoughts or worries, a shot of silicone spray on the exposed areas will help you sleep better im sure.

Offline Dana

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Everything Ice Fishing!
« Reply #27 on: Oct 30, 2010, 03:50 PM »
In our demo on our site we experienced that same thing.  If you have the auger running at max and let off the throttle it takes a little longer than normal for the throttle to return and the auger to slow down.  I'm planning on letting our rep know about it and see what he says.  Not a huge issue as long as you know about it.  Us non-patient people are the ones who are going to be bothered by it the most.  Just that much longer before I can wet a line.
Glens Army Navy Store
701 NW 4th St
Grand Rapids, MN 55744

Toll Free: 1-888-525-1201
Local: 218-326-1201

[email protected]

GlensOutdoors.com

Follow Us on Twitter @GlensOutdoors

Offline gaudetskie

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Oct 30, 2010, 05:49 PM »
Dana, will anybody be doing any field testing of this auger over at Glens?

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Oct 30, 2010, 06:24 PM »

I noticed that on the one at Cabela's today. If the cable gets dry and sticky your in for some trouble.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.