Author Topic: My tires are screwed!  (Read 1664 times)

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
My tires are screwed!
« on: Oct 12, 2010, 05:58 AM »
I worked on my four wheeler the last few days. Oil is changed, tires are screwed, and got it cleaned up and ready for the ice. I am going to install a new chain because I ran in the rain for three hours last summer and I don't want to chance it out on the ice. I sometimes pull everything over a mile each way. Allot of guys wonder if something like this will work. I can tell you, it does. First off this 4 wheeler weighs only 200lbs. It is made for kids. It is 125cc and I figure it puts out about 8 to 8 1/2 hp. I weigh 200, so figure 400lbs total spread out on the four wheels so I can travel some thin ice. In my area thin ice is the average. I know its a china bike but I knew I could make it work and keep it running. I have had to fix a few things because of it being a kids bike. I blew the bearings out of the rear end. It had electric motor bearings they used for the rear axle and I had the hubs bored out to a regular wheel bearing size and fixed it. The old bearings would of worked if I wasn't pulling so much weight. Without too much snow I can pull 1700lbs. I didn't have a headlight so I installed one on the front and made a deflector shield to keep the light out of my eyes. I used a 12v automotive fog light. I added a piece of steel rod to the shifter so I don't have to get my big boots underneath to change gears. I can lift it in my van by myself. i have a full size Chev express van that has doors on both sides, so I can load and unload from either side in a parking lot. Comes in handy when I return from the parking lot and the guy beside me parked to close. If something happened to my four wheeler I would go get another one, but for now I can make it work. 

This is how I install the screws in the front.

I found this pattern works well for the rear wheels.

Headlight

GPS mount

Shifter modification.

The stock muffler was too loud.

So I bought a lawnmower muffler for up to ten HP.

Then I welded a piece of pipe on that fit into the stock muffler.

It is a press fit so I can take it out for summer trail riding.

What do you think?

Here is a video of how it works. You can see all of the junk I haul.

http://s248.photobucket.com/albums/gg161/michianiafisherman/?action=view&current=Shanty.flv

HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline brace

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Is it Friday yet?
Re: My tires are screwed!
« Reply #1 on: Oct 12, 2010, 06:16 AM »
That is a very cool shack!!
Brian<br />Nil Carborundum Illigimiti

Offline CMMahy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Oct 12, 2010, 11:27 AM »
You'll be very happy with the screws when you're out on the ice. Just be gentle when riding on gravel and pavement, the edges of the screws will round off pretty quickly, and they start to loose their bite.
A bad day of fishing beats anything else I'd be doing today.....

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Oct 12, 2010, 12:09 PM »
You'll be very happy with the screws when you're out on the ice. Just be gentle when riding on gravel and pavement, the edges of the screws will round off pretty quickly, and they start to loose their bite.
You are right! I take them out each season. This will be the third time I used some of them. I added some more the last couple of seasons. I did loose eight last season so put in nice new one's to take their place. I put them in a plastic coffee can with a lid so I can find them. I think I used three or four hundred? Those nobs add up fast.

Offline CMMahy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Oct 12, 2010, 12:18 PM »
It is surprising how many screws each tire can hold. A friend of mine that rides his big KTM dual sport motorcycle all year installs over 200 screws, just in the rear tire of his bike!

One trick I used when installing the carbide screws in my snowmobile track was to put a blob of "Goop" adhesive on the threads before installing them. It seemed to lock them into the rubber, and I don't think I lost one after a full season of abuse.
A bad day of fishing beats anything else I'd be doing today.....

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Oct 12, 2010, 12:49 PM »
It is surprising how many screws each tire can hold. A friend of mine that rides his big KTM dual sport motorcycle all year installs over 200 screws, just in the rear tire of his bike!

One trick I used when installing the carbide screws in my snowmobile track was to put a blob of "Goop" adhesive on the threads before installing them. It seemed to lock them into the rubber, and I don't think I lost one after a full season of abuse.
That is a great Idea! I was worried about using the old holes again. That may be the ticket! Thanks.

I may leave them the way they are now, but if I loose too many I will get out the goop!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.