Author Topic: Honda Rancher or Polaris 500  (Read 2643 times)

Offline doonan

• Team IceShanty Regular
Honda Rancher or Polaris 500
« on: Sep 29, 2010, 10:45 PM »
Wondering everyones thoughts on these two models? Are they big enough machines to handle the ice and snow? Cold Starting? Any help at all is appreciated.

FISHFORPIKE

Re: Honda Rancher or Polaris 500
« Reply #1 on: Sep 30, 2010, 05:02 AM »
Wondering everyones thoughts on these two models? Are they big enough machines to handle the ice and snow? Cold Starting? Any help at all is appreciated.
I have a buddy with a Polaris 500 efi and he has NO problem.  Last year I used a Yamaha 400 (no problem) and have a new Polaris 550 this year.  Looking forward to the efi on the new machine and not having to deal with a choke.  I know folks with Hondas that have no problem as well.

surflizard

« Reply #2 on: Sep 30, 2010, 05:23 AM »
I have used both brands, no real issues with either brand. I have a Polaris xplorer 400 now and love it, it handles all of the plowing and pulling of our ice gear ! The one thing that I will recommend is a Winch, they are worth every penny !

Offline doonan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Sep 30, 2010, 11:19 AM »
Ground clearance on the rancher looks to be around 5 inches shorter than the Polaris. Do I need to concern my self on that?

surflizard

« Reply #4 on: Sep 30, 2010, 02:54 PM »
5 inch's, really ? That is a big difference ! I've gotten myself in some hairy spots and I'm glad I had the clearance I did !

Offline doonan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Sep 30, 2010, 03:49 PM »
Polaris 500 is 11.25 and Rancher is 6.5

Offline james

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Sep 30, 2010, 03:50 PM »
I have a polaris 500 X 2 and so far it has been a good machine.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Sep 30, 2010, 05:43 PM »
The Polaris will go through a heap more snow. The ground clearance and ability to get traction do not compare.

Offline Seedtree

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The older I get, the better I was.
« Reply #8 on: Oct 04, 2010, 10:33 PM »
We use Honda Ranchers year around at work and they are good in the mud, snow and cold.  I haven't used that model Polaris, but we have a 1994 Sportsman 400 Polaris that has been a real workhorse. 

Higher ground clearance is a two-edged sword.  Some of the bigger ATVs we have sit higher but are less stable side to side.  I prefer my butt closer to the ground in the rough stuff.  Ground clearance hasn't been a problem with the Ranchers.  Also, the Ranchers, which are all 4wd, handle a foot to a foot and a half of snow easily enough.  If you routinely ride in snow deeper than that, probably a snowmobile might be a better choice than an ATV.

I would not buy a new ATV without EFI and a water-cooled engine.

That said, I have been impressed enough with the Ranchers we use at work that I just bought myself one.

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #9 on: Oct 04, 2010, 10:43 PM »
The polaris will actually have 4x4 with a locker,where the Honda is actually only 3wd with no locking differential on the front. . Combine that with the extra  clearence and the Polaris will fit the bill better.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Oct 05, 2010, 10:32 PM »
Polaris has a nice low center of gravity and a low seat compared to other big wheelers. Some Arctic Cat machines are tall and tippy. I have thought for sure I was in serious trouble on my sportsman before, and it always came out the other side.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.