Author Topic: ice reel suggestions  (Read 4119 times)

Offline joesp

• IceShanty Rookie
ice reel suggestions
« on: Sep 08, 2010, 08:38 PM »
I just got in the mail my new st croix ML ice rod. I want to get a goo reel for it. I am hoping to get a reel that won't allow the line to have a lot of memory in it when it is not used for a while and I do a lot of jigging for panfish. Some suggestions I heard are to use a fly reel or use a schooley reel. Any suggestions on what i should use.

Offline jasond37

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag!
Re: ice reel suggestions
« Reply #1 on: Sep 10, 2010, 02:13 PM »
If you are looking for a smooth UL reel check out some of the Tica Cetus reels.  I have a few myself, and I know a few guys on here have a few too.  I even use one of them on an UL rod for sunnies in the summer.  The reel is the smoothest UL I have used, especially in cold, wet conditions.  I've caught many a crappie and sunny, even a 6lb walleye.  The reel doesn't have much to do with line memory.  Line twist is often created when it is put on the reel incorrectly.  Line should be changed every year anyway, it's actually something I look forward to each year because it means good times are ahead.  Check out the Tica reels, I think you will be happy.

Offline Xpressman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Sep 10, 2010, 03:19 PM »
Tica Cetus X2!  Started using these last year and I will be buying more as needed.

Offline jjc155

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Sep 10, 2010, 03:20 PM »
Tica Cetus X2!  Started using these last year and I will be buying more as needed.

X3 for the Tica cetus line. I get mine from Reeds.

J-

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #4 on: Sep 10, 2010, 07:05 PM »
I'm a Shimano guy for the majority of my reels, but most of them are Stradic 1000's.  It does seem like I've paid for the name but these reels also dub over to summer fishing.  I have two Pflueger Presidents UL, but they're mostly for bobber fishing.  I think I would've like the next size up Pfleuger Presidents better, but I'm kind of stuck with these.

However I'm leaning towards baitscasting reels big time this season.
For more information read my MN nice journal

surflizard

« Reply #5 on: Sep 11, 2010, 05:32 AM »
I picked up a Daiwa 17 LC this year so I could target suspended fish with the line counter. I checked it for accuracy in the boat with my fishfinder and it marked the jig at the same depth as the line counter. no more guessing for me !  ;D

Offline wiskeyfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I don't exaggerate... I just remember BIG!"
« Reply #6 on: Sep 11, 2010, 07:12 AM »
you can't go wrong with Tica reels. I also have used Abu Garcia 300's, and Shimano's but TICA TICA TICA are the best.

Offline james

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Sep 11, 2010, 10:01 AM »
The Abu garcia record reels seem to be pretty good.I spooled 300 yds of 30lb power pro on this one.

surflizard

« Reply #8 on: Sep 11, 2010, 02:40 PM »
NICE TOUGE WINCH RIGHT THERE JAMES !  :thumbsup: That the new Thorne Bro rod ?

Surf

Offline james

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Sep 11, 2010, 03:01 PM »
Thanks Tony, :) yup that's one of them, the other one came with the tip snapped off. :%$#!:

surflizard

« Reply #10 on: Sep 11, 2010, 03:21 PM »
NO WAY JAMES, Are you serious ?? They didn't ship em in tubes  ???  What did they have to say for themselves ? That really sucks James, I knew you were really looking forward to those new winches ! Sorry buddy, I hope they take care of it for ya !
                                                                                                                                                            Tony

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Sep 11, 2010, 08:12 PM »
They didn't ship em in tubes  Huh

They make you pay for the tube and charge a boat load of $$$ for S&H so it better be packed good and come in a tube. Apparently not good enough if the rod arrived broken.

I just got in the mail my new st croix ML ice rod. I want to get a goo reel for it. I am hoping to get a reel that won't allow the line to have a lot of memory in it when it is not used for a while and I do a lot of jigging for panfish. Some suggestions I heard are to use a fly reel or use a schooley reel. Any suggestions on what i should use.

I have many Tica Cetus reels and really like them. Another really nice reel for little money is the Shimano Sienna 500FD, it would fit your ML St.Croix very well. http://www.fishusa.com/Shimano-Sienna-FD-Spinning-Reels_p.html I don't know if I'll be buying anymore Ticas after using the Sienna.

Offline james

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Sep 12, 2010, 12:17 PM »
NO WAY JAMES, Are you serious ?? They didn't ship em in tubes  ???  What did they have to say for themselves ? That really sucks James, I knew you were really looking forward to those new winches ! Sorry buddy, I hope they take care of it for ya !
                                                                                                                                                            Tony

yeah they put both rods in one tube, and one of them broke during shipment.  and they are saying that i have to wait for a ups rep to look at the broken rod, and then they will let me know what they will do. instead of just saying they will make me another rod. I have a feeling i'm gonna eat this somehow !

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • RIP- DR`s AwesomeAustin 9/10/09
« Reply #13 on: Sep 12, 2010, 12:21 PM »
Send em a link to this site , perhaps even this post-when they see your a moderator on an extremely popular ice fishing site , they may realize bad publicity is not good and buck up. They should have sent ya a new rod, no questions asked as long as ya shipped em the broken one back as proof.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Sep 12, 2010, 12:53 PM »
Not really necessary, they do visit this site every now and then.  It's so totally goofed that they aren't going to replace the broken rod.  I always hear about their top notch customer service and even hear about how they've replaced other rods that have broken due to negligience for some customer.  Now I hear about this reality.  Is this the grim reality?

Pursuing through UPS?  That might just be a delay tactic.  If they didn't put big FRAGILE stickies on it, UPS pretty much aren't going to cover it.

Maybe the rod was defective?  It can happen.

Offline james

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Sep 12, 2010, 01:57 PM »
Nope not necessary. I will give them a few days to get back to me after i deal with ups, and see how this plays out. hopefully the good things i have heard about them are true, and this wont go any further.

Offline DasRottweiler

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • RIP- DR`s AwesomeAustin 9/10/09
« Reply #16 on: Sep 12, 2010, 02:22 PM »
Ya, sound course of action. Hope it works out well for ya, we still have plenty of time b4 lock-up. All things in MODeration. Back to---->
ICE REEL SUGGESTIONS!!  
                     I have several Abu-Garcia Mid level spinning reels. Drags are exceptional smooth , even in the smaller models. That is one of the most important characteristics of an ice-reel or any reel for that matter, SMOOTH DRAG.

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Sep 12, 2010, 04:44 PM »
yeah they put both rods in one tube, and one of them broke during shipment.  and they are saying that i have to wait for a ups rep to look at the broken rod, and then they will let me know what they will do. instead of just saying they will make me another rod. I have a feeling i'm gonna eat this somehow !

Did they charge you for 2 rod tubes? I would be very mad if I were in your situation. UPS and most other shipping companies can be a real nightmare to deal with as far as damaged items go even when insurance is bought. I read on other forums guys waiting over a year to receive money for broken items, if at all. I wish you luck.

surflizard

« Reply #18 on: Sep 12, 2010, 06:50 PM »
I've heard a lot of good comments about the Thorne Brothers service and I really think that they will take care of it for you. Good luck with this situation and I hope it get resolved to your satisfaction quickly !

Tony

Offline cbtrtbum

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Sep 13, 2010, 03:34 PM »
hey guys, in general i love and use the shimano 500 series reels (Sedona, Sahara, Symmetre) and i love them. Ive read so much about the Tica Cetus reels that i want to try some of them out as well.  Which of the Tica Cetus reels are great, as they vary in price?  Thanks,Chris

Offline jaysun23

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Sep 13, 2010, 03:42 PM »
I also have a couple Tica Cetus reels and they are very good.  I'm also a big fan of Pflueger Trion reels, best reel you can buy for under $40 in my opinion

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #21 on: Sep 13, 2010, 04:52 PM »
hey guys, in general i love and use the shimano 500 series reels (Sedona, Sahara, Symmetre) and i love them. Ive read so much about the Tica Cetus reels that i want to try some of them out as well.  Which of the Tica Cetus reels are great, as they vary in price?  Thanks,Chris

Very tough to justify going that route.  You end up comparing a more expensive reel with one that costs less.  In part, you end up comparing engineering quality against something that feels smoother due to a heavier rotor spin.  I had the old 750's and I couldn't stand the feel of the Tica's.  Then again everyone is a little different.  You might find yourself a Tica convert or you might regret not putting that money towards another Shimano.  ;D

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Sep 13, 2010, 05:00 PM »
I have quite a few Ticas from the cheapest to the 2nd most expensive. Honestly if it wasn't for the color and labeling difference you'd never know the difference. Get a GV500 and give it a shot, not the cheapest Ticas but still has 4bb and will allow you to get a feel for them.

Offline jasond37

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag!
« Reply #23 on: Sep 14, 2010, 02:27 AM »
I have a few of the LF500's and one GV500.  I use the GV500 on my UL setup for panfish in the summer too, works great.  The LF500's are on my sunfish/light crappie rods, and the GV500 is on my walleye rod.  I just ordered a SB500 and should be getting that soon, looking forward to working that reel.  I do agree, give the GV500 a whirl, great reel at a really affordable price.

Offline joesp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Sep 14, 2010, 07:40 PM »
Thanks for all the suggestions and ideas. From reading all the posts and looking around I ended up Pflueger Trion GX-7. The main reason I bought it was I got it on sale Dunham's Sporting Goods and I also got to use a 20% off coupon on the purchase to so the reel only costed me $25. So thanks again for all the help

Offline pete/ny

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Sep 14, 2010, 08:16 PM »
Send em a link to this site , perhaps even this post-when they see your a moderator on an extremely popular ice fishing site , they may realize bad publicity is not good and buck up. They should have sent ya a new rod, no questions asked as long as ya shipped em the broken one back as proof.
Should make no difference if someone is a Moderator or not.A Customer is a Customer! Thorne Brothers should stand behind their rod 100% as it was shipped by them and should have been packed securely.I got 2 from them last year and they came in the same tube but had so much bubble wrap around them and on the tips, that it was a job getting it all off. Keep after them to get a replacement.

Offline cbtrtbum

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Sep 14, 2010, 10:56 PM »
Agreed (and i own several TB rods, just never had one break.)  I did, however, have a Jason Mitchell Perch rod that i ordered from Fish307 last winter arrive broken.  When i called Fish307, they asked no questions, shipped a new one out that day, and when i asked if they wanted me to send the broken one back, or show photo proof, or anything, they said no thanks, and shipped THAT day.  Incredibly good service.

Offline jasond37

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flag!
« Reply #27 on: Sep 15, 2010, 02:25 AM »
That's a nice reel too, I have one that does well in both seasons.  I think I bought one of the last Pflueger ice rods, I can't seem to find them anywhere, and that reel was attached to it.  It's a pretty great crappie setup.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.