The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: new jiffy augers?  (Read 6431 times)

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
new jiffy augers?
« on: Aug 27, 2010, 01:56 PM »
does anyone have any experience with the NEW  jiffy augers? ive heard some not-so-good things about them. they look kinda 'plasticy'? i need a new auger this year and i was looking at the jiffy legend lightning xt, or the model 30. i know the old model 30s were excellent augers. but what about the new ones? any input would be appreciated. thanks guys

Offline Merv

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • here....fishy.....fishy
Re: new jiffy augers?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 27, 2010, 02:07 PM »
I bought a new jiffy stealth lightning xt about 2 1/2 years ago and its been great have had no trouble with it so far knock on wood lol  I drill about 20 - 150 holes on the weekends  hope this helps

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Aug 27, 2010, 02:16 PM »
does it have the older tecumseh motor though? or the new motor?

Offline Lifeguard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Aug 27, 2010, 02:28 PM »
The Jiffy augers you knew with the Tecumseh engines are gone, they are basically a whole new auger.  They might be good, they might be bad, only time will tell, but there is certainly enough bad reviews and opinions going around about them. 

You should take a look at the Eskimo augers.  I personally can tell you they are a great auger and won't break the bank.  Do a search in these forums for Eskimo auger and see what people have been saying about them.  They do have a fair amount of plastic on them as well, but I live in Northern Canada, and haven't broke a piece yet, besides I think pretty much all the manufacturers are mostly plastic now.  I had a Jiffy 30 (Tecumseh) before my Eskimo, and after having the Eskimo I'll never go back to the Jiffy.

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Aug 27, 2010, 02:37 PM »
ive heard good things about eskimo on here. ive drilled one hole with an 8'' i dont know what model. whats the warranty like on an eskimo?

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #5 on: Aug 27, 2010, 02:55 PM »
ive heard good things about eskimo on here. ive drilled one hole with an 8'' i dont know what model. whats the warranty like on an eskimo?

Don't think you'll need it!!! ;D Actually, it's a year. I can't say enough good about Eskimo's...I've had my Stingray for 4 yrs, and it just screams along!!!! Two of my friends have a Shark and another Stingray. Eskimo is manufactured by Ardisam, Inc., based in Wisconsin...right across the border from me. Customer service is great...you talk to REAL people!!!! The only thing plastic on mine is the tank...and all auger tanks are plastic. Handles are continual loop tube steel. The Viper engines are great...and I've been repairing/building/racing engines since the 70's. Just plain love 'em. The prices are decent, too.
There's a LOT of Eskimo lovers on this site, but most of the other augers are decent, too. Some brands have had problems with plastic handles/flighting breaking....it's the same as Chevy, Ford, or Dodge? Up to the individual. My 2 cents!  :)
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Aug 27, 2010, 03:10 PM »
it is just like the whole chevy, ford, dodge thing in some ways. but in this case chevy and ford  didnt just turn the looks of there trucks upside down and start making them out of plastic!! (refering to strikemaster and jiffy) i guess ill have to give eskimo a better look. i might just get a used model 30.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Aug 27, 2010, 03:19 PM »
Eskimo is also celebrating their 50th year...guess if they were lousy,they wouldn't be around. Some of the other brand augers are a good buy if you can find a little bit older one with the Tecumseh engine....

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Aug 27, 2010, 04:03 PM »
good point. if i could get my hands on an old tecumseh model 30 or an older strikemaster i wouldnt hesitate. were the older strikemasters made with plastic handles too?

Offline Merv

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • here....fishy.....fishy
« Reply #9 on: Aug 27, 2010, 04:15 PM »
does it have the older tecumseh motor though? or the new motor?

it was made in 2007 and says made in the usa so i dont know if thats new or old  but its model # TM049XA and it runs like a charm always start on the first or second pull doesnt matter how cold out it is, and i get some darn cold days here in northern Ontario

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Aug 27, 2010, 04:17 PM »
tecumseh motor then. wish i could get my hands on one of those bad boys.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #11 on: Aug 27, 2010, 04:25 PM »
The "Model 30" you are referring to is usually referred to as the "old standby", The Jiffy Model 30...it was white, and had a 3 hp Tecumseh engine on it....don't know about where you are at,  but there's a LOT of them on Craig's list and in the papers for sale here in Minnesota.....

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Aug 27, 2010, 04:51 PM »
lol ive seen a couple of them over the years.....thanks for reminding me what color they are though haha :P there arnt really any on craigslist not in my immediate area anyway.

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Aug 27, 2010, 07:05 PM »
tecumseh motor then. wish i could get my hands on one of those bad boys.

Keep an eye out, there are like new ones around.

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Aug 27, 2010, 08:05 PM »
yeahh ik it i wish i could find one close by or someone willing to ship

surflizard

« Reply #15 on: Aug 28, 2010, 06:54 AM »
Our local hardware store who was a regional dealer for Jiffy, had 3 new jiffy's piled togther on the floor this spring. I asked, whats up with these Jiffys laying here ? He told me 2 won't stay running and one locked up,  motor grenaded, first time out !!  :o  I said ,they look brand new, he said they are !!  :woot:  After the 3 guys unloaded on him  :%$#!:, he offered all 3 guys new augers right then and there, Nope they wanted their money back instead ! He says he's all done selling them !! He'll work on the older ones, but he ain't selling the new ones any more ! Thats too bad, because I remember buying my 1st Jiffy from his Grandfather 30 years ago ! I still have my 10 year old Legend lightning and she runs like a champ, if she goes south on me, I'll scrouge around and find an old one to rebuild, before I'll buy a new one ! I realize that this might not sit well with some guys, but I saw what I saw and it ain't good !  My 2 cents

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Aug 28, 2010, 10:11 AM »
Our local hardware store who was a regional dealer for Jiffy, had 3 new jiffy's piled togther on the floor this spring. I asked, whats up with these Jiffys laying here ? He told me 2 won't stay running and one locked up,  motor grenaded, first time out !!  :o  I said ,they look brand new, he said they are !!  :woot:  After the 3 guys unloaded on him  :%$#!:, he offered all 3 guys new augers right then and there, Nope they wanted their money back instead ! He says he's all done selling them !! He'll work on the older ones, but he ain't selling the new ones any more ! Thats too bad, because I remember buying my 1st Jiffy from his Grandfather 30 years ago ! I still have my 10 year old Legend lightning and she runs like a champ, if she goes south on me, I'll scrouge around and find an old one to rebuild, before I'll buy a new one ! I realize that this might not sit well with some guys, but I saw what I saw and it ain't good !  My 2 cents

stuff happens i guess. i bet if i really hunted around i could find 100 guys who report break downs for jiffys, strikemasters, and eskimos too. lots of people use these things, there gonna go wrong sometimes lol. were these new-ish jiffys with tecumseh motors on them? or were they the newer ones?

surflizard

« Reply #17 on: Aug 28, 2010, 12:50 PM »
Nope, they were brand new Solo's ! If a dealer wants out , that might constitute taking a serious look at whats wrong with them ? either way thats what he told me ! Makes me really glad, I've got 2 old school american made augers !

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Aug 28, 2010, 01:24 PM »
haha lets flip a coin heads you send me the jiffy tails you send me the eskimo. either way i send you a check :) haha just kidding

surflizard

« Reply #19 on: Aug 28, 2010, 01:33 PM »
If your ever over this way, stop by and you can run both of them and see which one you like better !  ;D

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #20 on: Aug 28, 2010, 01:38 PM »
Nope, they were brand new Solo's ! If a dealer wants out , that might constitute taking a serious look at whats wrong with them ? either way thats what he told me ! Makes me really glad, I've got 2 old school american made augers !

??? Thought you said they were Jiffys?

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Aug 28, 2010, 01:49 PM »
??? Thought you said they were Jiffys?

yeah i was wondering that too! the new strikemasters are solos. the jiffys dont even display a name on there motor do they?

surflizard

« Reply #22 on: Aug 28, 2010, 02:44 PM »
OOPS ! My bad, you guys are right. the Jiffys have the (We're not gonna tell you who makes em ) motors.  ;D

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Aug 28, 2010, 04:34 PM »
i heard the viper motors were made overseas too though? or is that not true.

surflizard

« Reply #24 on: Aug 29, 2010, 05:36 AM »
I don't know if any of the new gas auger motors are made here, I don't think so ?  :'(  We have a regional for sale / wanted ad magazine called Uncle Henry's
and it has everything from Agriculture to Zodiacs for sale in it. I found a older Jiffy 30 auger, tip ups and a sled for $150.00  :o  If I ever needed to get another auger, I wouldn't hesitate for one minute at a road trip to get one with a tec 300 !

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Aug 29, 2010, 09:29 AM »
i  cant find a good deal like that in my immediate area. ive got one lead on an old jiffy30 my dad sold to a friend about 7 years ago that hes pretty sure sits in a garage and could probably be had for 100 bucks. we'll see!

surflizard

« Reply #26 on: Aug 29, 2010, 10:42 AM »
I'd jump on that with both feet buddy !!  ;D Hope that works for ya !  :thumbsup:

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #27 on: Aug 29, 2010, 11:22 AM »
I'd jump on that with both feet buddy !!  ;D Hope that works for ya !  :thumbsup:

I'll second that!!! ;D

Offline oyler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Aug 29, 2010, 03:58 PM »
I don't know how true it is, but I hear that jiffy went to a new motor again this year, I guess last years motor had so many problems that they scraped that motor, and went back to the drawing board.  I don't know the brand of motor or anything, but it's gotta be better!

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #29 on: Aug 29, 2010, 06:27 PM »
I don't know how true it is, but I hear that jiffy went to a new motor again this year, I guess last years motor had so many problems that they scraped that motor, and went back to the drawing board.  I don't know the brand of motor or anything, but it's gotta be better!
Well, if that is true, it should do wonders for the company!  :-\

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.