Author Topic: Line twist/spinning jig  (Read 1641 times)

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jiffy ProStaff/PK Lures ProStaff/Clam Powerstick
Line twist/spinning jig
« on: Jul 04, 2010, 09:59 PM »
How can I eliminate my jig spinning as I jig? I have most noticed this action while jigging off the side of my boat in clear water this summer...tried it with 3 different rods that all have different line, but similar jigs on them all tipped with the same bait.  Are barrel swivels the key to eliminating my problem? Any and all suggestions/opinions are welcomed.

Thanks !

Offline beeverfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Line twist/spinning jig
« Reply #1 on: Jul 05, 2010, 07:12 AM »
Is the jig spinning due to the line being twisted ?  Or due to the jig itself?   Spinning reels are good for twisting line, so are some lures.  I always use a swivel of some sort.  It wont stop the jig from spinning if the jig is the problem, But it does help prevent your line from being twisted.  Try the same jig with out tipping it, does it still spin?  

Offline Sven936

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jul 05, 2010, 11:06 AM »
I try use ball bearing swivels as much as possible.  But in my use on ultra light jigs and rods, I will pull out about 20ft and cut it off a couple times during the season. I do not use a swivel with them as I lose some feeling and action with the use of them. Also, with the line I will prestretch the next 20 ft or so.   Seems to help, but I cannot get rid of it completely.

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jul 09, 2010, 01:56 PM »
The line twisting issue is why some guys are using fly reels on their ice fishing rod.

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #4 on: Jul 10, 2010, 04:51 AM »
Without going into detail about lines and reels and to fix your problem with what you have now you will have to take off the jig. Put a small barrel sinker on it and let it out a little more than you plan on jigging for the day. Once the line is out pinch it between your fingers and reel it in. This will take out most of the twist. I do it a couple of times and can remove most of the twist so it doesn't bother me. The barrel sinker will spin easy and hold the line straight while you reel so you can get the results. When ice fishing I just pull the line up while pinching and lay it on the floor of my shanty. Then through it back in. I can tell how good it worked with my camera.
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #5 on: Jul 21, 2010, 10:55 PM »
One can always try a baitcasting reel or a fly reel.  Works wonders for me.  The fly reel is just very hard to use against the accidental pikes and 2# test line.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #6 on: Jul 22, 2010, 07:46 AM »
I catch them (pike) accidentally on purpose.  It will cause more line twist though.
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.