Author Topic: Finding perch?  (Read 3995 times)

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
Finding perch?
« on: Mar 06, 2010, 12:14 PM »
I am not much of a perch ice fisherman, I usually go for walleye and pike, then late season crappie and bluegill. I have a 3,000 acre natural lake near my house, that I have heard is good perch fishing but don't know anyone who really trys for them. The max depth is 70 feet, and the lake is very clear water lots of rock, sand gravel, and a few weedy bays. This time of year Mid March till open water where would be the best spot to try for some perch? Deep, shallow, weeds? I really have no idea where to start. I have a picture of the lake map I found online if anyone would like to help me out, here is a online lake map. We still have about 2 feet of good ice so I can pretty much drive any place on the lake.
http://www.roundlakehaywardwi.com/roundlakemaps/roundlakemap437k.pdf
Thanks, Erik

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
Re: Finding perch?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 08, 2010, 08:05 AM »
Do you just fish and hope to catch one, or is it worth it using a camera? I have a old Aqua-vu, or do just use a flasher and try and locate some? I have a LX-5.
From reading a little bit about it I guess start shallow and work your way deep towards deep mud flats? I know some perch are always in the weeds but the bigger schools?

Offline bigmike7272

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 08, 2010, 09:14 AM »
i like to use a camera mostly cause i don't have a flasher. either one will help you out just start out shallow and work your way out you'll hit em' eventually

Tell me and I'll forget. Show me and I'll remember some of it. Involve me and I will have lifetime knowledge.

-Anomymous

Offline GDominy12

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FLAG!
« Reply #3 on: Dec 04, 2010, 11:11 AM »
I just drill a straight line off the bank with many holes not that far apart and start from there.

Offline tench

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 13, 2010, 02:47 AM »
How many lines can you use? Set your tip ups from shallow to deep or along a weed edge. Setting them all throughout a flat can be a good way of patterning the fish- see what direction they are coming from, etc...
The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable,
a perpetual series of occasions for hope.
~John Buchan

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
« Reply #5 on: Dec 13, 2010, 08:05 AM »
I would start with the emergent vegetation,  in the mudlake muskie bay area of the lake.
I would also fish "the flats" off south shore road.

From what I remember of this lake it is mostly rock and sand, which is why they have so many fish cribs installed into the lake.
You should try and find an area of muck, in the 20 to 30 foot depth range.
The perch will congregate there in winter to root around the bottom muck for blood worms etc.

You may need to pick a different lake if you want to really get into good perch fishing.
At least you're in Hayward, there are lots of lakes to choose from.

Hope this helps,

Wiener

Offline fishermanna82

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 14, 2010, 04:57 PM »
i saw put out as many tip ups a possible then if you find one is getting hit over and over fish in that hole and move that tip up to a diffrent depth

Offline 101HoosierPerchin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 22, 2010, 10:37 PM »
Your in luck friend! Late feb. through march and april perch are in prespawn mode wich mean the feed very aggresively and tend to stay in large schools, this is some of the hottest times to fish for perch. Perch spawn/congregate in deep dark bottomed bays this time of year. First things first through out a perchs lifetime they never move far from a specific location especially in big lakes! So what you need to find are areas that have everything a perch needs through out its lifetime. This would include easy short access to deep water. Usually bays that connect to the deepest part of the lake with steep drop offs close to shallow flats and weeds, or you mentioned your lake has artificial lake structers.

Good Luck!!
FISH: An animal that grows the fastest between the time its caught and the time the fisherman describes it to his friends.

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 28, 2010, 11:09 AM »
On flats. Almost never will you find perch hanging on breaks. I usually target the first flat before the basin this time of year. This can be in bays or on the main lake. So, where the break from shore flattens out before the second break to the deepest water. The transition from hard to soft is the magic zone. Later in the year close to ice out, the shallower flats with remaining weeds is where I go. Also Bars...especially relatively deep ones with access to even deeper water. Again, this is mid ice locations. Shallower bars with weeds are prime at first and last ice. Just my two cents. my motto is "never tell a fish where its supposed to be".
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.