Author Topic: whats ur favorite type of fish, batter seasoning  (Read 9066 times)

Offline prosalmonking

• Team IceShanty Regular
whats ur favorite type of fish, batter seasoning
« on: Feb 23, 2010, 10:53 PM »
im jus wondering wat everyone secret mixtures are i love drakes seasoned with montreal steak seasoning n dipping my fish into a milk and egg mixture then into the drakes then fry. i use this on walleye,gills,perch,crappie,and salmon

Offline prosalmonking

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: whats ur favorite type of fish, batter seasoning
« Reply #1 on: Feb 23, 2010, 10:54 PM »
i am also wondering how musky and pike taste never had nor heard of people eating them much

Offline Kinger53

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 24, 2010, 12:47 AM »
My favorite is Fin n' Fowl, regular or Cajun!

Offline Gill Gitter

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Good friends -- Great times
« Reply #3 on: Feb 24, 2010, 03:30 AM »
pike are great if you can get around the y bone.lousiania fish fry is a breading that requires little spiceing up and also comes in cajun if you like a little heat.i like the crunch of cornmeal.i'll try your mix once n see how it is.

Offline popnfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 24, 2010, 08:52 AM »
i am also wondering how musky and pike taste never had nor heard of people eating them much

pike taste fine but eat a musky ?

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 24, 2010, 08:55 AM »
Kentucky Kernel seasoned flour. Sautee in olive oil and butter.
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline Flypopper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 24, 2010, 09:10 AM »
I use milk and egg wash and finely ground Ritz crackers fried in olive oil for my gills and same recipie for walleye's only on a baking sheet on the grill. Cabelas has a lot of fish batter also. Youtube has a lot of videos on cleaning pike to get the y-bones out  it's not hard and it's worth it good eating

Offline prosalmonking

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 24, 2010, 09:44 AM »
pike are great if you can get around the y bone.lousiania fish fry is a breading that requires little spiceing up and also comes in cajun if you like a little heat.i like the crunch of cornmeal.i'll try your mix once n see how it is.

u can also make my batter a wet one by adding milk water or beer to it n i jus dip it right and fry or i do it the other way.

Offline prosalmonking

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 24, 2010, 09:47 AM »
pike taste fine but eat a musky ?

yeah there is a guy around southern mi are well niles he said musky was pretty good but i didnt know u could eat them never had a chance to ask him if i could watch him clean one. but im goin to have to catch a pike n try it out.

Offline Fishslayer81

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 24, 2010, 10:23 AM »
Henny penny w/ a little lemon pepper seasoning, dry battered= mmm mmm good!

Offline Mr. gill

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 24, 2010, 10:30 AM »
I like fry magic put a little creole seasoning in it and you r
good to go. I is dry but that is what my pappy used so I use it
also.

Offline Redtracker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 24, 2010, 10:35 AM »
Golden Dipt Beer Batter mix. We've used it on Perch and Walleye and even Haddock.

Offline herefishyfishy58

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 24, 2010, 10:50 AM »
I equal parts flour, cracker crumbs, and corn meal. Instant potato flakes are also very good. Use egg and milk wash for both and fry in your favorite oil. I think butter flavor works best with the flakes.

Offline Scottio43

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 24, 2010, 11:03 AM »
I like drakes too. I add a little garlic salt and cajun to the mix, than I open a bud take large drink than add the rest to the mix and make it a wet batter. Deep fry. MMMM ;D

Offline Flattop

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Feb 24, 2010, 11:22 AM »
I mix a little milk with my egg wash and dredge in a mixture of seasoned bread crumbs and smashed up potato chips.  No salt needed after frying or sauteeing.

Joe
In life "The day you quit learning, better be the day you quit"
"I learn something new every day, even if it's how not to do something"

Offline crappie66

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 24, 2010, 12:13 PM »
I have two ways I make my dry batter.  I prefer it to be spicy and have a nice kick.

First method is to mix a packet of spicy hot taco or fajita seasoning into flour.

Second method is to mix together a lot of cajun seasoning, garlic powder, cummin, chilli powder, and cayenne pepper with flour.  

I make an egg/milk wash and let the fillets soak for at least a half hour before coating and frying.

Not fond of the gritty corn meal batters, and keep the lemons away from my fish (no sense in ruining a good meal with lemon juice).
Real fisherman don't yield to the weather.

Offline ghosttown

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 24, 2010, 12:20 PM »
The best dry I have come up with is equal parts flour and white corn meal.  Cup of each in a bowl with a bit of garlic powder, salt, pepper and what ever else you like.  Put filets in an egg wash first then in the dry and fry.  I like to fry in peanut oil.  Still looking for a good beer batter.  Oh and pike are one of my favorite eating fish.  Just wash the slime off real well before you filet.  It sticks to the filets and makes them taste more fishy.  

Offline marmooskapaul

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 24, 2010, 01:51 PM »
Man I've used a bunch. I change up during the winter when I'm eating panfish 3 or more times a week
Fry Crisp-buy in 5lb bag like flour mostly use it dry but works well wet also.
Drakes-5lb bag also, wet or dry
Mcormics [sic] Fish Fry- Use this a lot, dry and don't normaly use egg wash with any dry breadings, too much breading for me that way.
Cracker meal.-I like this a lot. Can really tast the fish-light and crispy
Cornmeal- Cormeal by itself,to me, overpowers the fish so I might mix cornmeal with any dry breading
Cornflake crumbs-I use egg wash for this, this works good if your company doesn't really like fish that well. Cause it taste like cornflakes-go figure.
Panko japenese bread crumbs- Still experimenting with this one, Although it works pretty good, light and crispy, but easy to overcook it.
Also used -Lousianna breading, Andy's , Bass Pro Shops Crispy breading, Mad Dog? Kentucky Kernal, Plain Flour and many more I've forgotten.
Also tried baking them [per HT's suggestion] Actually liked them baked very good and I'm sure better for you.
Sometimes if I'm cooking a bunch of fish I'll do 2 or 3 different breadings and let the family tell me what they like. I'm just glad they like fish. If you do this fry the spicy breadings last though.
Paul

Offline blueultra2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 24, 2010, 01:59 PM »
I just mix a bag of Drake's, a bag of Andy's and a bag of Louisiana fish batters together!  I couldn't choose so I decided to mix them all together and it actually turned out awesome!!

Offline Juan bond

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The lakes are full of iceholes!
« Reply #19 on: Feb 24, 2010, 02:49 PM »
I mix it up a little and use Drake's, louisana fish fry, or Andy's. I like to just pat dry, coat them, and drop in the fryer.

LFF is what I'm using tonight!!!!

Offline smellinfishy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Feb 24, 2010, 02:51 PM »
Has anyone ever used Bourbon-Q's spices mixed in with their batter? I have not tried and was just wondering the outcome. If anyone does summer time grilling they definintly need to try their bbq sauce, best I have ever had. My favorite is the moonshine madness. Check them out...www.bourbonq.com

Offline IceJunkie0602

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 24, 2010, 03:00 PM »
Henny penny w/ a little lemon pepper seasoning, dry battered= mmm mmm good!

Thats my favorite.  I Fry up a pike same as a bluegill.  If you don't like eating around the bones you can make pike patties.  Put the pike in a blender and the bones grind right up.  Then take a recipe for crab cakes and substitute the crab with blended pike.  follow recipe and enjoy.

Offline Mrwiggler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • " I'm going to miss her "
« Reply #22 on: Feb 24, 2010, 03:06 PM »
I use Uncle Al's (fin & fowl) for most part, and sometimes mix it with Andy's. Awesome on panfish!  ;D

Offline ripnlips

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Feb 24, 2010, 03:27 PM »
andy's chicken batter(gives it alittle spice)  or andy's fish (cajun flavor)    you cant go wrong throw it in the fryer                                                               

Offline Retired-UAW

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Personal Best 7 lbs even
« Reply #24 on: Feb 24, 2010, 03:48 PM »
I put some Gold Medal flour in a bag. Salt filets and drop in bag.Shake well. Heat Crisco to desired temp. Fry fish . Turn once. And eat. Why would you want to change to taste of a good piece of fish. Don't like my fish tasting like anything but fish. But, that is just me.Like my salmomn grilled with a little olive oil. No season except maybe a little salt.Like the taste of fish.P.S. Fry my chicken the same way.  :P
\\\"WORK\\\" is for people who don`t know how to \\\"FISH\\\"

Offline Derslayer1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • EAT   SLEEP   FISH
« Reply #25 on: Feb 24, 2010, 03:51 PM »
I,ve also tried everything from my own concoctions including saltines, cheerios, corn flakes, and everything else in the past 30+ years.  For store bought, I love Zatarains southern crispy. Shore lunch aint bad if done right. I have never heard of Andys nor seen it in the stores... ??? I,d haveta try that one since thats my name...I,ve seen it spoke a few times so maybe its worth the try, where can it be bought?

Offline Derslayer1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • EAT   SLEEP   FISH
« Reply #26 on: Feb 24, 2010, 03:55 PM »
On a completely different note....lets say its been a tough day fishin. You have 10 or 12 marginal sized but keeper gills. I,ll carve out those butter chip filets, add some butta to the fry pan so they wont stick and make me and the wife a couple thick gill sandwiches. Thats really the best for us, ....but my previous post is for like a big ole fish fry with company... 8)

Offline blueultra2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Feb 24, 2010, 04:07 PM »
I mix it up a little and use Drake's, louisana fish fry, or Andy's. I like to just pat dry, coat them, and drop in the fryer.

LFF is what I'm using tonight!!!!

Great minds think alike!!

Offline princecraft

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #28 on: Feb 24, 2010, 04:47 PM »
I also use Uncle Al's fin and fowl mix. It was originated right here in Osceola.   Been using it longer than I can remember.  I like to use mine dry with a light coat and not a wet batter.  I like to taste the fish and not the batter.    I have tried Drake's, Andy's, Zateran, Shore lunch, and a few more and keep going back to Uncle Al's.
Fisherman's Prayer
   I pray that I may live to fish
          Until my dying day.
And when it comes to my last cast,
       I then most humbly pray:
When in the Lord's great landing net
           And peacefully asleep,
      That in His mercy I be Judged
              BIG ENOUGH TO KEEP.

Offline High Tide

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Feb 24, 2010, 04:58 PM »
Man I've used a bunch. I change up during the winter when I'm eating panfish 3 or more times a week
Fry Crisp-buy in 5lb bag like flour mostly use it dry but works well wet also.
Drakes-5lb bag also, wet or dry
Mcormics [sic] Fish Fry- Use this a lot, dry and don't normaly use egg wash with any dry breadings, too much breading for me that way.
Cracker meal.-I like this a lot. Can really tast the fish-light and crispy
Cornmeal- Cormeal by itself,to me, overpowers the fish so I might mix cornmeal with any dry breading
Cornflake crumbs-I use egg wash for this, this works good if your company doesn't really like fish that well. Cause it taste like cornflakes-go figure.
Panko japenese bread crumbs- Still experimenting with this one, Although it works pretty good, light and crispy, but easy to overcook it.
Also used -Lousianna breading, Andy's , Bass Pro Shops Crispy breading, Mad Dog? Kentucky Kernal, Plain Flour and many more I've forgotten.
Also tried baking them [per HT's suggestion] Actually liked them baked very good and I'm sure better for you.
Sometimes if I'm cooking a bunch of fish I'll do 2 or 3 different breadings and let the family tell me what they like. I'm just glad they like fish. If you do this fry the spicy breadings last though.
Paul

LOL, your ready for your own cookbook!!! 

As Paul mentioned above, I bake the majority of my fish, because I need to stay thin to fish on that late ice... In my experience Zatarains, and Old Bay Blackened have great flavor... and Sea Salt over Table Salt.  When frying I think the oil has alot to do with it... Peanut and Cottonseed hands down!
I wish I was good at ice fishing!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.