Author Topic: Would You?????  (Read 3318 times)

Offline 5 X Master Angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
Would You?????
« on: Feb 21, 2010, 09:37 PM »
Would you just sit and watch someone trying to get out when they are stuck on the river?  I could not believe that people were fishing out side and could see a fellow fisherman was stuck and only one fellow helped.  We went and helped and everyone still watched!  Just remember it could be any one of us!
Early to bed,
Early to rise!
Fish all day,
and make up lies!

Offline kingocanada

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Would You?????
« Reply #1 on: Feb 21, 2010, 09:40 PM »
I always help out but some people are idiots too. This guy in a crossover suv got stuck 3 different times within 15 mins.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 21, 2010, 09:42 PM »
I always help out but some people are idiots too. This guy in a crossover suv got stuck 3 different times within 15 mins.
Was that at lockport?  Was it an white Audio?
Early to bed,
Early to rise!
Fish all day,
and make up lies!

Offline TURBO

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 21, 2010, 09:43 PM »
I've got no problem helping a guy thaqt gets stuck, it happens to the best of with us, hell it happened to me today and I had to shovel out.  

BUT, when it's some idiot who's out hot doggin in his 2 wd, blasting through drifts, blaring music and doing power turns/fish tailing just to get attention. He can call daddy or a tow truck to come get him out as far as I'm concerned.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 21, 2010, 09:44 PM »
I've got no problem helping a guy thaqt gets stuck, it happens to the best of with us, hell it happened to me today and I had to shovel out.  

BUT, when it's some idiot who's out hot doggin in his 2 wd, blasting through drifts, blaring music and doing power turns/fish tailing just to get attention. He can call daddy or a tow truck to come get him out as far as I'm concerned.
AGREED!!!
Early to bed,
Early to rise!
Fish all day,
and make up lies!

Offline TURBO

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 21, 2010, 09:46 PM »
AGREED!!!

Also makes for some good entertainment if the fishin' slow. My favorite part is when the passenger gets out laughing, their face gets that oh crap look  when they realize just how bad they're stuck and they start hopelessly pushing!!!!

Offline firefighter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 21, 2010, 09:47 PM »

Did they/he even have a shovel?...says a lot about how smart a person is. Some should just stay home IMO. That said, I've pushed, pulled and dug a lot of jackasses out in my day ;)

FF
He who hesitates is lost...

Offline Fisherman_1982

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 21, 2010, 09:51 PM »
 I always try to help people out as much as possible (lake, side of road, etc.) There is some real ignorant people out there, but each to there own I suppose. I just hope when it happens to them (and it will eventually) they have to shovel every damn bit of snow by themselves to get out!

Offline Pembina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 21, 2010, 10:14 PM »
I am all for helping guys out, that being said I am sure that if something blows in my truck in the duration I will be on my own. In some cases there is a pile of snow.  Seen someone stuck off of the main trail out from Chalet towards the shoreline, not sure how anyone would even get there to help.  Mark it and come pull it out with a boat!!

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 21, 2010, 10:17 PM »
I am all for helping guys out, that being said I am sure that if something blows in my truck in the duration I will be on my own. In some cases there is a pile of snow.  Seen someone stuck off of the main trail out from Chalet towards the shoreline, not sure how anyone would even get there to help.  Mark it and come pull it out with a boat!!
I think I saw him on Saturday.  I saw a couple UTV's with track get it out.
Early to bed,
Early to rise!
Fish all day,
and make up lies!

Offline firefighter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 21, 2010, 10:20 PM »
I think I saw him on Saturday.  I saw a couple UTV's with track get it out.

If he's smart he won't do that again...and then again others are on a more gradual learning curve ;D

FF
He who hesitates is lost...

Offline BVRETR

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 22, 2010, 09:31 PM »

I'll help those jackasses out, but I'll do it at the end of the day when I'm done fishing and they've had all day to sit and think how stupid they are.

Offline KIWICO

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 22, 2010, 09:36 PM »
If they are stupid enough to put themselves in that situation then no I wouldnt help them out, If it was an honest error like getting off the well beaten path or slipped out of the groove then ya I would.  ;)
Gone Fishin'....be back dark-thirty!

Offline gasman707

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Cold is a state of mind!!
« Reply #13 on: Feb 22, 2010, 10:15 PM »
 I will help almost anyone, with a few exceptions. Here's one:
Had a guy come out in a front wheel drive dodge a couple years ago. There was a spot on the trail that ice had sunk and the water was about a foot deep. Well, he hammered through it, drove across the lake started yelling at someone in a shack, then turned around and came flying back across.
 This time when he hit the hole, that's where he stayed! My buddy and I where about to go help when he got out, stumbled around cussin and kicking the car. This guy was so drunk, he couldn't hardly stand let alone walk.
 That's when we decided I don't think so, and just sat back and watched the show! He fell in the water about 5 times. Tried jamming the accelerator with the ice scraper while in reverse and got out to push!
 At least 4 others stopped but refused to help because he was to drunk. Talked to all but 1 of them and we all agreed we wouldn't pull him out to let him drive down the road to kill someone, one guy claimed he called the cops to report him.
 Then the engine started on fire, he fell in the water again trying to put it out with his jacket which also burnt up. I went to get the 5 gallon bucket to put the fire out but someone else was closer and beat me to it.
 Then a couple of young kids pulled him out, he started the car (can't believe it started the flames where at least 3ft high) drove of the ice sounding like it was only running on 2 of the 4 cylinders, leaving his muffler in the hole ( that was picked up and removed by a Friend of mine).
 Three hours later when I got home 15 miles away from the lake, watched him drive by. Couldn't believe that car made it that far, and the cops didn't catch him. They did show up and talk to a couple of guys said they received 5 calls on him! 

Offline mobey3

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • clinging to my guns and religion...and fish!!
« Reply #14 on: Feb 22, 2010, 10:21 PM »
I help ANYONE that I can...now insert TURBO's comment!!! ;D

Offline Fish Camp 24-7

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 23, 2010, 12:14 AM »
Slipped off the trail on sat on lake winnipeg, had over a dozen guys drive by within 30' of my truck while im trying to push it out myself with the girlfriend behind the wheel!!! Was a time when I would help anyone, not anymore! Give ignorance and you shall recieve the same!

Offline paulwhittom

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Take what you want, and pay for it
« Reply #16 on: Feb 23, 2010, 07:41 AM »
What do guys expect when they drive 2 wheel drive vans, cars and SUV's with low ground clearance?  It's not like anyone is going to leave him there overnight but a few hours shoveling might teach him to either walk or find another way out onto the lake, or another place to fish.  When we go out we don't go out as a tow service.  We usually watch the guy for a while and then go over and give a hand.  Then again when guys are blazing trail for other guys to use it's always a no-brainer you help those guys out.  Then there are the guys out there doing 90 MPH everywhere that you just hope get stuck.  ;D
Its easier to beg forgiveness than it is to get permission

Offline mcdee

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • w
« Reply #17 on: Feb 23, 2010, 08:30 AM »
   That what ice fishing is all about. If someone is waving for help. Help them ! 30 min max  :roflmao:

Offline sled-in

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Feb 23, 2010, 09:56 AM »
Generally, I would help anyone out (with the exception of drunks (But I have been pulled out by a drunk too)), I like solving problems and getting unstuck is my favorite problem to solve. But like it was said idots need to shovel, I might come over and tell them that "there is hope where there is a shovel".

Offline HighlandGlen Guide

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Feb 23, 2010, 02:47 PM »
Hey Fishcamp24-7 if you were on time saturday you wouldnt have had to take your truck on the ice!!  Needless to say it did put a smile on my face to learn you were stuck!! serves you right lol, and i wouldve come and pull you out but you were to hot at the situation to even answer your phone!!  Moral of the story is.....be on time!!!  i know it wasnt totally your fault. 
Ive pulled two trucks out so far at balsom, one guy figured he could make it up the old approach after it blew in and the trail was made up the shore....i think he had a few by then....figured his 3/4 ton ford could make it thru anything....lol. And one saturday morning was coming up to the lake and a bunch of guys were so excited to get there i guess they didnt slow down and couldnt turn left and went straight into the snow....had to shake my head at that one.....like many have said, you never know when it will be you, so i always try to help if i can.....i shoveled once this year to get out, for almost an hour, had forgotten how much that sucks lol

Offline stukontheice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Feb 23, 2010, 07:57 PM »
i have pushed and pulled guys out before just to watch them drive back in. i seen one guy drive off a good trail to get stuck and wonder why nobody pulled them out. if its a mistake i will help but why would i risk getting stuck just to help some body out that should not have been there in the first place.

Offline DiceShack

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 23, 2010, 09:28 PM »
I totally agree with most posts on here. I am more then willing to help people out. If they aren't just stupid people driving a little 2 wheel drive car. When I take my car fishing I park on the road and walk to my shack.

Offline Pembina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 23, 2010, 11:34 PM »
Then there is this, my tow strap is pretty long enough.  I pulled a mini-van out of a nice pickle last year, i was concerned about ripping his front bumper and stuff off so I pulled from the back makes sense (let him hook up  the strap to whatever he could find).  So he guns his motor as I am pulling him out and almost hits the front of my truck.  I ice fish, don't need any help wrecking it, I can do that on my own. 

Offline maw31

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 24, 2010, 08:46 AM »
went fishing to chalet beach a few weeks back and there was this guy in a big black truck going 80-90 km/hr blasting through the snow making his own trails. Guess what ended up happening to him????? he got stuck! ;D I said to myself, serves you right mister show off!

This is my opinion, people who get stuck by hot dogging, I don't help them.

Offline LeeMB

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Feb 24, 2010, 08:56 AM »
somebody has to make the trails, thats how its done.  He should have had a follow truck with him.

Offline sled-in

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Feb 24, 2010, 09:10 AM »
somebody has to make the trails, thats how its done.  He should have had a follow truck with him.

Yes, SOMEONE has to be first, but what does that person get in return for breaking the trail? Why should they have to bring two trucks if they're fishing in a popular spot? But with that said if you feel you need to break your own trail to go 20yds off the established trail, then your hope should be found in your shovel.

As far as hooking up another vehicle with my tow strap, its their vehicle, they hook it up. Except I did hook up a car this year at the top of my road, it looked like it could be pushed out, but I hooked it up, Probably a neighbor girl.

Oh and here is one tip, if you have a truck and you have a goose neck hitch in the box that is the best place to hook up a tow strap if you are the tow vehicle, the strap will "load" your rear axle giving you the most traction. A lesson I learned from dear old dad.

Offline maw31

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Feb 24, 2010, 09:22 AM »

i know people have to make the trails, but he was going through big drifts doing it because i bet he thought his big powerful truck could make it through the drifts. To me that is hot dogging.

Offline Pembina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Feb 24, 2010, 09:56 AM »
went fishing to chalet beach a few weeks back and there was this guy in a big black truck going 80-90 km/hr blasting through the snow making his own trails. Guess what ended up happening to him????? he got stuck! ;D I said to myself, serves you right mister show off!

This is my opinion, people who get stuck by hot dogging, I don't help them.
I dont own a black truck, but I did the same the other day and stoped to pull people out behind me getting stuck in my tracks.

Offline maw31

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Feb 24, 2010, 12:54 PM »
I dont own a black truck, but I did the same the other day and stoped to pull people out behind me getting stuck in my tracks.

Did you end up getting stuck or were you ok?

Offline Pembina

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Feb 24, 2010, 01:05 PM »
Did you end up getting stuck or were you ok?
My truck is fine, I buy tires according to lake conditions not road conditions. It is very hard to see the larger drifts when cruising though I will admit that.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.