Author Topic: Rod holder  (Read 21771 times)

Offline Kodiak Commando

• Team IceShanty Regular
Rod holder
« on: Nov 13, 2004, 09:22 PM »
Does anyone know of a way to build your own rod holder? My budget is too thing to get a two guardians or mr jiggers.

Offline bushbunny

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • He who has the gold makes the rules!!!
Re: Rod holder
« Reply #1 on: Nov 13, 2004, 09:35 PM »
Yep, I came with two, called hands!!!!! (just couldn't resist) ;D ;D

Offline kerosenecounty17

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • kc17 - NE WI
« Reply #2 on: Nov 17, 2004, 08:46 PM »
I make my own using a heavy duty coat hanger and a pair of pliers.  I'm talking about the type of holder that hangs on the side of a five gallon bucket.  Next time you're at Fleet Farm or Wally World just study the design of one of these holders.  They're pretty simple.  Grab a couple of coat hangers and start bending away.  By the third one, you'll have it down.  I can turn a coat hanger into a rod holder in about 3 minutes.  One great thing about these home-made holders is that they're lighter than the store bought ones.  With a dead stick you just push down on the rod and let go and the holder will bob up and down for about 20-30 seconds all by itself.  No way I can describe how to build one, so you'll just have to experiment.

kc17
"An ounce of biology is worth a pound of tackle."

-Gord Pyzer

Offline sbfPA_Mike

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 19, 2004, 06:24 PM »
I made this holder using 1" PVC pipe.  the legs are all 10" long.  The 10' section of pipe will cost you about $3.00,  the 90* angles and the "T" will cost you about $.50 each.

I don't like it here, so I will probably be here for a while.........
 @ www.iceshanty.com  @ www.myfishfinder.com
 @ www.myhuntingforum.com[/si

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Nov 19, 2004, 08:06 PM »
Cool Mike...we need an "Invention" thread ;D
Bob
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline firsticerules

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • get out be happy!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 19, 2004, 08:38 PM »
you could always cut a hole in a bucket or two and stick the rod in the hole.

FORGET MILK.......GOT ICE?

Offline sbfPA_Mike

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 20, 2004, 12:49 PM »
Here is the story about the evolution of my rod holder.  I have had the basic wire ones in the past,  but I am left-handed so the wire got hung up on the wire.  >:( I could cut some holes in my bucket,  but if I need to set the hook quickly,  I don't want to be screwing around trying to get rod out of hole.  ::) The other issue is the fact that I will be doing some dead-sticking with that rod,  but I can't hold the rod still enough in my hand to detect the micro bite. :unsure:(This may be a wacky reason,  but it's mine)  I also don't like to put my rods on the ice,  so in those instances when I set out a bobber rig instead of tip-up,  this holder will keep rod off of ice.  :flex: The last reason is tipdown,  Bean showed me his version of a tipdown,  I will be modifying one of my holders to have a rod projecting out one side of holder for tipdown.   :clap:

Tight Lines all,   :tipup: :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:

Mike

Offline cityfishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #7 on: Nov 20, 2004, 10:22 PM »
Plan ahead. At the end of each year when stores are clearancing out their inventory, you can get things like a rod holder for about 2-4 bucks or less. Any time I see a clearance rack I take a look. You can find tip ups, rod holders, ice line, bobbers and lots of other helpful equipment for a decent price. But you've got to plan ahead.

Offline sbfPA_Mike

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 21, 2004, 11:05 AM »
cityfishin,  you are 100% right!  The best to deals to be had are the end of season closeout for sure.  I will definately be making another trip to Cabelas at the end of ice season,  probably at the end of Feb or early March.  I do get a lot of satisfaction out of making my own stuff though.  You should have seen me after I came up with the rod holder,  I thought I was the cats meow.  I am going to make a couple of larger units for bank fishing.

Mike

Offline CrappieGuy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 715-379-2376
« Reply #9 on: Nov 23, 2004, 04:06 PM »
Do a search on Ebay for    Easy Rod Holder Ice Fishing    Made out of PVC pipe and a clamp, looks simple to make and will hold your pole while you are doing something else and not have to worry about it going down the hole.

Offline transplantfromMN

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • SKOL VIKINGS!!!
« Reply #10 on: Nov 23, 2004, 09:54 PM »
here is a pic of a nice one maybe a little extravagent but not too hard or expensive to make. give it a whirl.
Ice fishing is Gods gift to winter...

Offline Kodiak Commando

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 30, 2004, 01:33 AM »
Thanks for your help. Do it yourself projects really help because Kodiaks ice fishing supplies are very limited because not enough demand. We have no wally's world or huge store so ordering is the way to go for ice fishing supplies and when you factor in shipping it's very expensive!

P Gottshall

« Reply #12 on: Dec 07, 2004, 09:40 PM »
sbfPA_Mike,

That's really slick.  What other ideas have you come up with?

Paul

Offline sbfPA_Mike

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 08, 2004, 05:06 PM »
Thanks P,

I really haven't come up with anything else,  but my mind is constantly whirling with ideas to make my ice time easier,  better,  and cheaper.  I just bought a Zercom RTS off Ebay not too long ago,  ($27 + $9s&h)  and I have built a carrying case for it.  (pics to be posted when computer cooperates)

Offline sbfPA_Mike

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 08, 2004, 05:07 PM »
PS,  if you are looking for something specific you need and can build yourself,  just need some ideas,  give me a shout,  I will see what I can come up with.

P Gottshall

« Reply #15 on: Dec 08, 2004, 06:35 PM »
I've come up with a few ideas myself, & have shamelessly stollen others.  Checkout the link I started, hoping to get others to add their "inventions" to it.  I included your rod-holder in my list.

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=15334.0

I don't know what kind of transducer the Zercom has, but here's an idea I had to make any transducer float like a Vexilar:

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=15327.0

Paul

Offline worm_waster

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #16 on: Dec 09, 2004, 11:18 PM »
Thanks for your help. Do it yourself projects really help because Kodiaks ice fishing supplies are very limited because not enough demand. We have no wally's world or huge store so ordering is the way to go for ice fishing supplies and when you factor in shipping it's very expensive!

FishUSA.com  $4.95 to AK any order except augers.w_w.

P Gottshall

« Reply #17 on: Jan 15, 2005, 05:43 PM »
I made this holder using 1" PVC pipe.  the legs are all 10" long.  The 10' section of pipe will cost you about $3.00,  the 90* angles and the "T" will cost you about $.50 each.

(Image removed from quote.)

A thought - if you don't glue the PVC, you can flatten it to go into your sled.  The PVC should have plenty of friction to hold in-shape when in use.

Paul

Offline sbfPA_Mike

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 15, 2005, 09:29 PM »
By accident,  but I can fit 2 of them in a bucket wtih other stuff put in around,  such as rods and wearables.  But,  you are right,  they would stack nice and hold shape when in use.

Mike

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.