Author Topic: Any Tips for Putting Together an Otter?  (Read 2380 times)

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
Any Tips for Putting Together an Otter?
« on: Nov 10, 2004, 08:59 AM »
Well, I pulled the trigger on an Otter Medium Cabin this year.  The instructions seem fairly straight forward but are there any warnings or tips that I should know about that would make life easier in putting it together?  Thanks in advance for your input.     
Chris Raymond

Offline varmntguy

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Re: Any Tips for Putting Together an Otter?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 10, 2004, 09:29 AM »
I helped a freind put one together and it really helps if you lubricate the poles before you slide them together, we used some sort of graphite. Another thing is do not tighten anything until its all set up, we also used lok-tite on the threads of most of the bolts. I don't own an Otter but on mine, alot of the nuts came loose after I used it a few times. It really stinks to be out on the ice and have some parts fall off when you go to set up. I keep a small tool box in my truck anyway so I through in some replacement nuts and bolts in, makes it easy to do any piddly repairs. If your going to put lights in it, this is the best time to run wires through the conduit. Even if you don't plan on lights right away at least you don't have to take it apart down the road when you see all the other shacks with cool l.e.d. lights. My last recomendation would be to get some of that styrofoam pipe insulation and put that on the poles. It doesn't add any weight and it does help tighten the fabric just a hair. I used it on my Eskimo and it helps to keep the flapping down to a respectable level on those windy days. Hope this helps.
Bent rods and full beers.

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #2 on: Nov 10, 2004, 03:06 PM »
VG-Thanks for the input.  I can't see doing the lights but won't rule it out for right now either.  The pipe insulation you're talking about is that foamy stuff, yes?  If so, one of Otter's design changes this year might be an issue.  They went with square tubing and I can't ever remember seeing that foamy stuff for square tube.  Thanks again.

Chris Raymond

Offline varmntguy

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #3 on: Nov 10, 2004, 07:05 PM »
Yea, it's the foam stuff with the slit down one side. They make it sizes for different pipe so you should be able to slide it over the tubes. I used electrical tape on the middle and both ends just to hold it tight. I thought it tightened up the canvas nice and it seemed to make the whole thing a little quieter while the wind is howling outside.

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #4 on: Nov 11, 2004, 07:41 AM »
VG--Thanks, I'll swing by Home Depot tonight and see what they have. 
Chris Raymond

Offline fishinnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 11, 2004, 07:20 PM »
Is the pipe insulation used on the side supports or just on the overhead supports?
God grant me strength to catch a fish
So large that even I
When telling of it afterwards
May never need to lie.

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #6 on: Nov 13, 2004, 07:06 AM »
Is the pipe insulation used on the side supports or just on the overhead supports?

The side supports are telescopic.
Chris Raymond

Offline varmntguy

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #7 on: Nov 14, 2004, 01:05 AM »
I used it on all the supports. On one of my one man portables there is just one or two that slide. You can even put it on those just leave yourself enough room to get to the little buttons to release the poles. Like I had said before the insulation is held in place by tape. The bottom part of the pole is what goes inside the other pole so it shouldn't be in the way when you fold everything up. The other thing is that it keeps the insulation away from the hinge so it won't chew it up. One other thing that just popped into my head is that on the bottom of the sled were the fabric meets the plastic. On mine there is some Velcro that is supposed to hold the fabric tight so you don't get any drafts through it, I'm going to fasten some of those little spring clamps to the sled since the Velcro never holds. Shouldn't have to worry about ripping the fabric either since the jaws are rubber coated, just a thought. If I think of anything else I'll post it, seems to be a never ending process making everything just right.

Offline varmntguy

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #8 on: Nov 18, 2004, 11:36 PM »
Chris, How's the mods goin on the new otter? I tried the deal with the spring clamps on my Eskimo and I think it will work pretty good. Since I was to cheap to get the QFII I don't have a zippered door in it so I can't bank snow around the outside. I think this will be quicker anyway since I don't stay in one spot for long unless the fish are really hammerin. I always hated that draft around the sides of the tub. Oh, by the way I also added some plastic coated chain inside the hem on the skirt that runs around the bottom of the fabric to keep the wind out, it worked perfect last year. I threaded it through with a fish tape and then sewed it through some of the links in different spots to keep it from coming out. I used Fireline to do that part, I don't think that will ever break.
See ya, Varmntguy

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #9 on: Nov 19, 2004, 06:17 AM »
Chris, How's the mods goin on the new otter? I tried the deal with the spring clamps on my Eskimo and I think it will work pretty good. Since I was to cheap to get the QFII I don't have a zippered door in it so I can't bank snow around the outside. I think this will be quicker anyway since I don't stay in one spot for long unless the fish are really hammerin. I always hated that draft around the sides of the tub. Oh, by the way I also added some plastic coated chain inside the hem on the skirt that runs around the bottom of the fabric to keep the wind out, it worked perfect last year. I threaded it through with a fish tape and then sewed it through some of the links in different spots to keep it from coming out. I used Fireline to do that part, I don't think that will ever break.
See ya, Varmntguy

Varmntguy--I couldn't put that insulation on all poles as the tent was too tight in some spots.  Maybe as it stretches out/loosens up a bit I can do it after the fact.  The storage mods I was thinking of probably won't work as well given how the tent sits over half of the tub when it's all folded up.  But I've got some ideas to get around that as well.  I'll get started on that next week when I get back from a wedding that I have to go to this weekend in WI.  I'll post pictures when I'm done.  I don't think it'll turn into as much of a project as the sled I built last year--http://members.infinitecom.com/craymond/icefishingsled.html--which I've modified even more than this web page shows. 

I'll probably have a two-layered back cabinet for fishing rods, something along the side for all of my plano boxes and then another covered box up front underneath the seat for frequently used gear and electricity.  I'm probably going to wire up two or three gel packs below the gear tray for accessory power (underwater lights, camera when I get one, and back for Vex in the event that I ever run that dry).  I'm hoping to have that done by 1 Dec...not that there's any rush.  This warmer weather the past week isn't helping make us any ice that's for sure. 
Chris Raymond

Offline Poorboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 19, 2004, 05:51 PM »
Chris, what a great post. Thanks for the ideas.

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #11 on: Nov 30, 2004, 07:44 AM »
Well, absent varnishing, I finished up my modifications last night...and I'm not pleased.  The cabinets use up too much room in the sled and don't provide the storage that I was hoping for.  It's not an entire waste though as I'll store them for use when or if I ever get off my wallet and get an ATV or snowmobile and can off-load some of the gear to the machine.  Guess I'll back to the bucket and/or rod bag in the sled route for the time being.   
Chris Raymond

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.