Author Topic: what do you do when the fishing is slow?  (Read 5758 times)

Offline icy mike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nope!
Re: what do you do when the fishing is slow?
« Reply #30 on: Nov 08, 2004, 03:41 PM »
Break out the guns, what else!

Offline icy mike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Nope!
« Reply #31 on: Nov 09, 2004, 11:28 AM »
Ya see, when ma and pa let us youngins' out of the crawl space to fish, the only way to get us back in is by gun point ;).  They only let us out so they can put more lines in the water.

But seriously, many of the lakes in Alaska (I live in Palmer) are pretty remote.  Packing up and moving to a different lake can be too time consuming.  You have to take into account that the day light hours are not as long in the winter up here than in the lower 48 (and southern Canada, eh!).  If the fishing is slow you can sit and try to call in fox, wolves, coyotes, etc... or try find some hares, ptarmigan, spruce hens... However, if your fishing close to town where other anglers are bound to show up, by leaving a gun in plain view gives you plenty of elbow room... not to mention it keeps them wondering ;D!!

Icy Mike
Palmer, Alaska

Offline 2 dogs

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #32 on: Nov 09, 2004, 11:11 PM »
Play cribbage, eat liver sausage and onion sandwiches with the dogs, go explore the ice drill holes to keep in practise. Used to take a nap but fell into deep sleep till past ten one nite.  Wife was scared ( actually I think she was hoping) that I had gone through the ice, she had the DNR and Sherrif looking for me on the lake. I had the heater going in the tent with two tip ups and the dogs. So quiet and comfy I just fell asleep in the lawn chair. Did have a nice pike on one of the tip ups though and the other  had been run out and stripped of the shiner. She chewed my butt so bad I will never have to worry about hemroids. :tipup:
Good thing about prisons- they reduce the potential number of fisherman on the ice!

camo_fish

« Reply #33 on: Nov 10, 2004, 12:59 AM »
Play cribbage, eat liver sausage and onion sandwiches with the dogs, go explore the ice drill holes to keep in practise. Used to take a nap but fell into deep sleep till past ten one nite.  Wife was scared ( actually I think she was hoping) that I had gone through the ice, she had the DNR and Sherrif looking for me on the lake. I had the heater going in the tent with two tip ups and the dogs. So quiet and comfy I just fell asleep in the lawn chair. Did have a nice pike on one of the tip ups though and the other  had been run out and stripped of the shiner. She chewed my butt so bad I will never have to worry about hemroids. :tipup:
WOW, my wife would have done the same thing, next time don't fall asleep with the heater on and maybe you'll wake up at sunset with the cooling temp. Yea, that wouldn't have went over well in my house either.
Thanks for share that unforgetable story.
 :tipup:

dwayne

« Reply #34 on: Nov 10, 2004, 07:35 AM »
I go home when it is slow....Live only a mile from my favorite lake....so I spend a couple hours out in the morning and a couple hours out before dark....this way I have time to do some stuff at home, play with the daughter, keep the dog from getting frost bit paw pads and...oh ya, and it keeps the wife happy that I am home for the daytime......

Offline Kodiak Commando

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Dec 05, 2004, 10:16 PM »
I like to head home to since i live only 1/2 a mile from my 2 good lakes and am with in an hour drive of 30. I rember once i went ice fishing in horrible weather for an hour and then went home but after 2 hours i decided nothing at home can beat ice fishing even if it is blowing 40 with snow. So i only drove 30 minutes to the same lake and caught lots of bows. That was an early trip in my ice fishing experiences and that was the point i realize i was addicted to the sport!

Offline cityfishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #36 on: Dec 05, 2004, 10:56 PM »
Every year my buddies and I get together and rent a sleeper shack on Mille Lacs or other big lake. Moving around isn't really an option and when the bite eases we play golf too. I've created a 9-hole course with centerfolds as the greens. I print out the scanned images on 18" x 20" paper, wet it and freeze it to the ice. Then the holes are drilled 6" down in the "appropriate locations" on each printout. We've got par 3's and 4's and an ice heave makes a wonderful natural hazard. We use tennis balls and each person uses their own club. Besides that, there's a whole lot of cards and beer.

PIKEGUY

« Reply #37 on: Dec 06, 2004, 10:35 AM »
My buddy and I play stick baseball OR if it's really slow, we see who can produce flags from the furthest away with snowballs or small sticks. Oh yeah, ;D beer helps too

Offline baginwal

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Dec 06, 2004, 10:52 AM »
If I'm fishin with my buddy, were catching them or were moving!  If I'm with the kids, we stay put and play football which usually turns into a wrestling/snowball/sliding event.  My daughter is now 13 and my son is 9.  They can't wait for this season to begin. 

The only thing they argue about on the ice is who gets the next tip up! ;D
No Politics............Ju st Fish!

Offline killitandgrillit

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Drilling and Grilling!
« Reply #39 on: Dec 06, 2004, 01:12 PM »
Playing guitar with a bud is always a winner. While having a beer. And eating brats.

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found,because I suspect that men are going along this way for the last time, and I  don't want to waste the trip; maybe one day I will catch a mermaid; and finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important, but because I suspect that so m

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #40 on: Dec 06, 2004, 04:51 PM »
Playing guitar with a bud is always a winner. While having a beer. And eating brats.
yeah i like to swing my axe in the shanty too!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.