Author Topic: X67c from my boat... make it work for the ice??  (Read 2578 times)

Offline cityfisher

• IceShanty Rookie
X67c from my boat... make it work for the ice??
« on: Feb 09, 2010, 02:11 PM »
Hi all.

Got an X67c on my boat and want to use it for the ice too... Got an extra boat transducer and a small battery. Tried it out over the weekend and the readings were way off and changing consitently.

Any recommendations on how to set up the ducer/ etc to make it work like the ice unit?

Offline JIMC_ND

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: X67c from my boat... make it work for the ice??
« Reply #1 on: Feb 09, 2010, 02:23 PM »
Hi all.

Got an X67c on my boat and want to use it for the ice too... Got an extra boat transducer and a small battery. Tried it out over the weekend and the readings were way off and changing consitently.

Any recommendations on how to set up the ducer/ etc to make it work like the ice unit?

For best results, use a Lowrance PTI-WSU/WBL ice transducer and run your machine in SONAR CHART mode, either in full or split screen zoom, whichever you prefer. There is NO advantage to flasher mode that I can see, that's old school, and the chart is so much easier to interpret. There are some pretty decent videos online. To see this for yourself- search YouTube for X-67C Lowrance Ice Machine.

Start with these settings:

*CHART SPEED and PING SPEED to 100%.
*SURFACE CLARITY and NOISE REJECTION to off or low
*AUTO SENSITIVITY off
*AUTO DEPTH off

Adjustments as needed:

1. Set the UPPER and LOWER DEPTH RANGE LIMITS to display the part of the water column you are interested in targeting.
2. Adjust SENSITIVITY up until lure can be easily seen (usually 70-90% depending on water conditions).
3. Adjust COLORLINE so that the lure is just starting to turn blue. When a decent sized fish comes in it will usually show some red or even yellow on the display.
4. If getting interference from other flashers (or other noise) use NOISE REJECTION to tune it out.
*Start at low and work your way up to high as needed. You'll have to adjust your SENSITIVITY after each increase in filter level.
*In extreme cases of interference from other flashers, you may have to adjust the PING SPEED and/or raise or lower your transducer in the hole a few inches.
Using these tips and running in CHART MODE, I've never had a problem tuning out other flashers.
5. Use ZOOM when fishing in deeper water. I like 2X or more ZOOM in anything deeper than 10'. Use the ARROW keys to adjust the ZOOM window up or down so you are seeing the desired depth range.

The above information will work with any Lowrance or Eagle graph set up to ice fish like the X67C, 334C, or the 522C.

Good Luck, I hope this helps you get your Lowrance unit performing like it should.

Jim Carroll NPAA #13

Offline kjt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 10, 2010, 10:04 AM »
I just bought one, hopefully have it out on the weekend.  I'm familiar with the vex and kinda like the flasher.  Does the x67c flasher have a zoom like the fl18?  Does the fastrack feature in graph mode change colour?  Probably doesn't matter cause you can see the colour on the other side. 

Offline JIMC_ND

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 10, 2010, 03:58 PM »
I just bought one, hopefully have it out on the weekend.  I'm familiar with the vex and kinda like the flasher.  Does the x67c flasher have a zoom like the fl18?  Does the fastrack feature in graph mode change colour?  Probably doesn't matter cause you can see the colour on the other side. 

1) Yes- the X-67C has an excellent, adjustable zoom window in either graph or flasher mode.  In graph mode, you can zoom in by adjusting the depth range upper and lower limits, or by using the zoom feature and up and down arrow keys.

2) Yes- the FasTrack feature will change color given the strength of the signal returns.

Jim Carroll NPAA #13

Offline mungo544

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 10, 2010, 06:59 PM »
Hi all.

You can mount the ducer to a tip up, remove the spool and rig a bracket with a strip of metal. Make sure the ducer is pointed straight down.  Here is a photo of how I did it.

Also, lately I have been drilling a separate hole for the transducer. Drill a triangle of three holes as tight as you can make it. Put the ducer at the top and use the other two to jig. You can dead stick one or jig both with different baits till you figure out what they are hitting.  Good way to share the unit with a buddy too! With the Lowrance in chart mode you can easily see the separate bait signals. It is fun to see a fish check out one bait and then go to the other.

Offline cityfisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 10, 2010, 07:12 PM »

That would be great if u could post a pic , I'd like to give that a try

You can mount the ducer to a tip up, remove the spool and rig a bracket with a strip of metal. Make sure the ducer is pointed straight down.  I posted a photo last year I'll see if I can find it. Also, lately I have been drilling a separate hole for the transducer. Drill a triangle of three holes as tight as you can make it. Put the ducer at the top and use the other two to jig. You can dead stick one or jig both with different baits till you figure out what they are hitting.  Good way to share the unit with a buddy too! With the Lowrance in chart mode you can easily see the separate bait signals. It is fun to see a fish check out one bait and then go to the other.

Offline kjt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 10, 2010, 07:18 PM »
1) Yes- the X-67C has an excellent, adjustable zoom window in either graph or flasher mode.  In graph mode, you can zoom in by adjusting the depth range upper and lower limits, or by using the zoom feature and up and down arrow keys.

2) Yes- the FasTrack feature will change color given the strength of the signal returns.

Jim Carroll NPAA #13

thanks jim

Offline mungo544

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 11, 2010, 12:53 PM »

Jim Carroll NPAA #13

If you set upper and lower limits, you can also use the zoom feature on top of it. Allows you to zoom in on the bottom 5 feet or any five foot range for that matter and get incredible views. Works really great in shallow water, you can't do anything like this with a flasher. The closer you zoom the more you will have to back off on the sensitivity. You will be able to see your jig and fish right through weeds.

Offline kjt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 11, 2010, 03:20 PM »
Can't wait to try, check this conversion out.  Pretty slick...

http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=554552

Offline Woodsman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 13, 2010, 06:22 AM »
Here's how I rigged mine.

The green part is a bracket to attach a chain link fence to the pole. Adjust bracket & pull tie cord until it's level. Packs up in a fairly small area.

Living proof that "beer builds better bellies"

Offline kjt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 14, 2010, 09:17 AM »
OP - sorry to write in your post, thought it would benefit both of us.  But I used my x67c yesterday and while I think it worked ok, I need to get used to some of the settings.  How do I clear the fastrack settings.  I had a lot of lines all the way down the water column, it was completly covered but it was clear.  I also had a thick black line on the bottom and below that I set the colourline to a yellow(cranked up), if I lowered it, I'd get red and blue mixed in.  Which kinda confused me.  It was hard for me to distinguish fish, I guess I don't know what to look for.  Any irregularities, I assumed we're fish.

Offline mungo544

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 15, 2010, 10:45 AM »
This link to youtube shows what you should see when you set up your machine correctly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2cP70FJ8oA

Notice the signal moving up and down is the jig, the thick band at the bottom is just that, the bottom. He points out to you what the fish signal looks like. You have to do some manual settings to get a detailed view like this.
If you need some detailed instructions on how to set your machine up send me a pm.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.