The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Toston Reservoir  (Read 3287 times)

Offline Flag_up!

• IceShanty Rookie
Toston Reservoir
« on: Feb 07, 2010, 12:01 AM »
Any word on Toston reservoir? Ive been hearing stories of monsters coming out of there......

Offline PROMO

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Toston Reservoir
« Reply #1 on: Feb 07, 2010, 10:10 AM »
went yesterday and didn't catch anything. fish and game cop said we could use only one pole because its actually a river.

Offline Hardwateraddicton

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 07, 2010, 06:35 PM »
Wow one rod at Toston? That sux... If you were above the dam wouldnt that make the reservoir the same as any... like Canyon Ferry? Gonna have to check the regs i guess... I too have been hearing the stories of good numbers of northern being iced but have yet to find any confirmation.
Jig... Jig... Thump!!

Offline T-Slayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 07, 2010, 09:18 PM »
I would be suprised if only one rod was allowed above the dam, alot of bodies of water fall under that category and you are allowed two...fished it last week there were lots of tip-ups out and didnt see one tip up go off all day

Offline spedray

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 08, 2010, 08:32 AM »
I guess a buddy was up there on Sat. Fwp told him only one rod also. Buddy saw a guy catch a 20 plus pound northern pike above the dam.

Offline PROMO

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 08, 2010, 08:10 PM »
yup... idiot out of state game cop said one pole. why are all of them from out of state?

Offline mtjohn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 09, 2010, 01:42 AM »
This is directly out of the regs:
Reservoirs are artificially impounded water behind a man-made dam extending upstream to the
mouth of its inlet stream(s). Under normal operations, reservoir pool elevation, surface acreage,
and the mouths of the inlet stream(s) are expected to vary throughout the year. The inlet stream(s)
is often managed under seasons, limits and special regulations that differ from the reservoir
regulations. Stream regulations apply to water upstream from the mouth on the reservoir. Streams
are defined by a sloped streambed that results in a defined current flow between two discernible
stream banks.
It looks to me that the Warden you guys are talking to needs to read the regs. If I go I will use two lines like the regs say I can use on reservoirs.
MT

Offline NONYA

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Smak em and stackem!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 09, 2010, 10:06 AM »
u can use 2 poles,just rumors to keep people away....

Offline fishhardwater

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 09, 2010, 05:02 PM »
I agree to 2 poles also! Seems game cop needs to learn to read!

Offline WapitiBob

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 10, 2010, 12:07 PM »
I agree about the Game Cops being hard-headed :callcops:.  Last weekend they saw it fit to write me an $85 ticket for no registration on my 3-wheeler.  I am not admitting that I was wrong, but maybe a warning since it has never been registered and I only use for ice fishing, no trail riding. We were having a chili feed on the ice at Black Sandy with kids, wives and doing a little ice fishing at the same time. First the Biologist showed up checked out our ling, had a bowl of chili and left.  The next thing I know the Enforcement Guys  :afro: show and they are worked up over something, probably reacting from a tip from their informer >:D that we had a keg of beer on the ice.  (Imagine that) Anyway, I am going to try and fight it.  I wonder if they are going to make the guy riding the roto-tiller (Redneck snowmobie) get that thing registered as well.  My spirit is broken and all I can say is good luck dealing with those people :cookoo:

iceandwiskey

« Reply #10 on: Feb 10, 2010, 05:03 PM »
Seems they read good enough to fill out a ticket....
and they got that part of the regs. right... ;D

Offline NONYA

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Smak em and stackem!
« Reply #11 on: Feb 11, 2010, 10:29 AM »
Read under ICE FISHING in the regs,there isnt a single place listed in the central dist with less than 2 rods with 2 hooks.

Offline Rghnrdy_mt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 11, 2010, 04:15 PM »
OK internet reg writers. Just got off the phone with fwp. They said, and I quote:

"If you are in the pool 2 lines are allowed. That is the area IMMEDIATELY in front of the dam. It is an extremely SMALL area. If there is any CURRENT where you are fishing you may be ticketed for 2 lines. The game warden is up there regularly this year and has been writing tickets as people are fishing 2 lines outside of the pool. If in doubt and you can't afford a ticket fish 1 line."

I asked how far upstream the "pool" went and was told immediately in front of the dam. Once again it was stressed this a very small area and it sounds like the warden's ticket writing hand is good and limber. Take it or leave it.

FWP told me the same thing-however if you auger a hole in the middle of the "pool" as close as you can get to the dam, there is still current due to the volume of water being let out of the reservoir. Some clarification on this issue from FWP would be nice, perhaps post signs on each bank at the upper end of the "pool"?

Offline captain stubie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • lip ripper!
« Reply #13 on: Feb 11, 2010, 06:51 PM »
has anyone been catching anything above the dam. ??? and if so, on what and how far under the ice

:icefish:
its better to have hooked and lost then to never have hooked at all.

Offline NONYA

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Smak em and stackem!
« Reply #14 on: Feb 11, 2010, 09:50 PM »
Go up stream about 300 yards from the parking lot on the far shore,no current there ,and we were checked by a warden 4 weeks ago,we had 3 guys,6 tipups out,he checked our liscences and apperently forgot to write our tickets......yes they are biting,10:30 am seems to be the magic hour,smelt dyed yellow in 1-3 feet of water,be very still and quiete if sitting near your tipups!

Offline Flag_up!

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 11, 2010, 10:51 PM »
Has anyone fished above the dam at night and/or has anyone caught any ling out of there???

Offline NONYA

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Smak em and stackem!
« Reply #16 on: Feb 12, 2010, 08:28 AM »
I have caught them during open water,I would fish the deeper water near the dam.

Offline Flag_up!

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Feb 12, 2010, 11:16 AM »
Also, is anyone catching any trout above the dam? Im fairly new to toston, but I have been hearing stories of big pike, trout and ling. Ive fished it a few times and havent had a bite yet. Im again going tomorrow, Ill let you all know how it goes...

Offline captain stubie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • lip ripper!
« Reply #18 on: Feb 12, 2010, 04:59 PM »
Go up stream about 300 yards from the parking lot on the far shore,no current there ,and we were checked by a warden 4 weeks ago,we had 3 guys,6 tipups out,he checked our liscences and apperently forgot to write our tickets......yes they are biting,10:30 am seems to be the magic hour,smelt dyed yellow in 1-3 feet of water,be very still and quiete if sitting near your tipups!

where can u get yellow dyed smelt i would really like to catch my first pike ???  :'(
its better to have hooked and lost then to never have hooked at all.

Offline spedray

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 12, 2010, 06:15 PM »
To get the yellow smelt you have to dye them yourselves. Really easy to do. I have never caught a rainbow above the dam but catch them all the time below. By the way, Rich's tackle in Three Forks has lots of smelt at the best price I have seen out here. Really nice guy with decent prices on his tackle.

Offline Flag_up!

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Feb 13, 2010, 02:58 PM »
Went to toston again..... not a person on the lake had a flag go up again.......

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.