Author Topic: Fishing with Electronics in NJ (moved back)  (Read 1563 times)

Offline DoubleG

• Team IceShanty Regular
Fishing with Electronics in NJ (moved back)
« on: Feb 04, 2010, 03:26 PM »
I've read post after post about Flashers and Underwater Cameras in some of the other Forums.  I was wondering how many people in NJ use them.  It seems like they are not as popular here in NJ, I could be wrong??

I use a MarCum LX-5 Flasher and for fun (and to keep my kid occupied on slow days) I have a Cabelas Underwater cam.

Anyway good luck and be safe!
MarCum * Vex * Strikemaster * Clam * Cabelas Underwater Cam

Offline Reb

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • PLEEAASSE FREEZE !!
Re: Fishing with Electronics in NJ
« Reply #1 on: Feb 04, 2010, 04:09 PM »
Alot of guys use them here in jersey..I guess its just that no one writes about it..The cameras are great for entertainment.

Offline NJ PIKER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Huntin 4 Forties
« Reply #2 on: Feb 04, 2010, 06:03 PM »
Don't leave home without it
use it to set tip ups too :tipup:

Big BAIT :tipup: Big ESOX                                                                   <><      }*)))))))))))))))))))><{

Offline oldman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 04, 2010, 06:15 PM »
I use both.  I'm cheap so I adapted my color graph from the boat to the ice.  Most days I primarily use the fish finder but if I really want to pinpoint weeds etc. I'll deploy the camera.  I always use the finder to set my tip-ups and definitely when jigging. 
"Izaak believed that fish could hear; if they can, then their vocabulary must be full of strange oaths, for all anglers are not patient men." --Izaak Walton, The Compleat Angler

Offline projoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 04, 2010, 06:58 PM »
just recently go the showdown for christmas, without a doubt it improved my averages. the shocking part is i beleive it has helped my tip up game more than than jigging. you can see the depth, weeds, how far the weeds come up in the water column. what a great tool.

Offline Surefishalot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 04, 2010, 07:09 PM »
My brother in-law has one not that great of visibility 1' or so. paid quite a bit for it ,so I think its one of the better models ;D
saltwater-freshwater what ever floats your boat!

Offline Ranger 619VS

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 04, 2010, 07:24 PM »
   I fish with a vexilar FL18. I don't go jigging without it. My catches are much higher when I use it......Helps to know that you in an active spot or not.

Ranger 619VS

Offline jesse813

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 04, 2010, 07:27 PM »
i have a camera but might get a flasher as well. hearing a lot about em and my buddy is gonna get his soon. he is getting a marcum lx-5.we both have cameras and they r great for watching fiish eat ur jig.

Offline Surefishalot

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 04, 2010, 08:03 PM »
We'll have to do a little more experimenting  ;)
saltwater-freshwater what ever floats your boat!

Offline LoneWolf

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
« Reply #9 on: Feb 04, 2010, 08:40 PM »

Anyone who would like a demo on my flasher can just see me at the next Get Together. As of now nothing is definite but we're thinking of Feb 20th.

Those who are brave are free ..

Offline tonyrad

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Happiness is a big gut pile.
« Reply #10 on: Feb 05, 2010, 08:42 AM »
I have 4 different electronic units. I don't use one of them on the ice (Dimension 3 from hummingbird) but have adapted all the others at one time or another for ice fishing. I use the Bottom line stick type most often, and the side finder on it is useful at times. I actually have used a very old Lowerance Green Box flasher  that was given to me more than 20 years ago and it works O.K. when jigging larger lures. I can actually see tear drops in 25 feet water on the Bottom line stick finder most of the time and this works fine for me. I will agree wit what was said above, the electronics vastly improve your score when used. I have an aversion to spending $500.00 for a flasher unit, no matter how good it is when I still have 2 from 20+ years ago that still work well. If you are going to buy one, buy the best you can afford and a bit more, you will never regret it. ;D

Offline havejigwilltravel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 05, 2010, 12:10 PM »
i wouldn't go out jigging without my vex.

Offline catfish_onthelake

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 05, 2010, 01:14 PM »
I do more open water fishing, so don't want to spend the $$$ on the Vex, BUT I just got love from FedEx in the form of the Humminbird 345c Portable (no boat, use it on Laurie's at Dows). This thing looks awesome, especially for the price $330 (but I got a better deal). It's got temp, speed, color display, rechargeable battery and a flasher mode that reads on the screen like a flasher. I'm sure the flasher mode isn't up there with some of the Vex's but still, this thinks look mint and it can be used on the ice.

Offline 4inch_ok

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #13 on: Feb 05, 2010, 01:41 PM »
I have a crappy hand held device. It has a transducer and a LCD readout a little larger than a cell phone. I got it as a deal sweetener when I bought a boat a few years ago. It fell out of the boat once so the LCD screen is a little messed up. It seems to work OK for depth readings and it often shows fish swimming by, but I don't ever catch any fish at the depths it shows them. I don't know if the fish it shows are just an anomaly. It certainly isn't as good as one of those flashers that show peoples jigs moving up and down.

Offline LoneWolf

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Fanatic! >))))>
Re: Fishing with Electronics in NJ (moved back)
« Reply #14 on: Feb 05, 2010, 03:12 PM »

As of now the 2nd get together is Feb 21st and I'd be more than happy to show any members my flasher and how it works.

Those who are brave are free ..

Offline TM

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 05, 2010, 04:48 PM »
I'm old school, spring bobber, hand auger.  Or maybe I'm just cheap!!

Offline doodle

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • You gotta love the hard water.
« Reply #16 on: Feb 05, 2010, 06:19 PM »
Better fishing thru electronics. The most valuable piece of equipment you can take out there.

Offline tonyrad

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Happiness is a big gut pile.
« Reply #17 on: Feb 06, 2010, 08:44 AM »
Old school works, always has.

I fish two rods with the same reels. Different pound test for light and heavy. The point is, one full revolution of a full spool ( my reels, others might be different ) of line is 18 inches. First time up count, ya got the  depth. Most of the time if I don't have electronics that day, I jig to the top of the hole. Ie. - jig the bottom, one reel turn and jig, one turn and jig, all the way to the top. There are times when the fish in deep water can be off the bottom. Trout are all over the water column and there have been enough bonus fish over the years to make this a good habit.

Safety first. If you buy a pair of the picks that you hang around your neck, but a second pair, it's a gift to a friend or someone you meet from time to time, that you will never regret.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.