The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: willoughby burbot  (Read 3466 times)

Offline handload

• IceShanty Rookie
willoughby burbot
« on: Feb 02, 2010, 10:51 PM »
Does anyone have any tips they would be willing to share on how I could catch a burbot in Willoughby?  From what I understand, there are some monsters pulled every year and it is one of the best lakes for burbs in the state. I have tried for them on Champlain but no luck. I have a camp on a pond very close to Willoughby, (closed trout water) so I have a place to stay..............just need to find someone to keep the wood stove full and the place warm while I'm out fishing!

Thanks!

Offline lennyvt

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: willoughby burbot
« Reply #1 on: Feb 03, 2010, 06:35 AM »
fish off the bottom in 40 fow, with dead bait

Offline johndeere540

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 03, 2010, 02:28 PM »
Go either off the access or beach and set dead bait on bottom in about 15 feet of water. Best fishing from 9pm to midnight. Dont be afraid to set a little shallower either. Cusk are spawning the month of febuary and come in the shallow to spawn. Good luck. By the way I live right by the lake so drop me a line some day your gonna be out.

Offline crappie_chaser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 03, 2010, 02:44 PM »
Those damn things are a nuscience at Maquam fishing tipups at night. Can't keep'em off the lines. I don't see the fascination with'em.  ???
Every man is perceived a wise man, until they speak

Offline lennyvt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 03, 2010, 02:51 PM »
they make a good chowder? :sick:

Offline crappie_chaser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 03, 2010, 03:36 PM »
Good recipie for them is put filet on shingle cover with butter and lemon, bake on 350, when done throw away filet and eat the shingle.
Every man is perceived a wise man, until they speak

Offline sbooy42

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 03, 2010, 03:57 PM »
This is from northern MI ...... but  we do good jigging spoons, cleo, Pimples..etc with a treble hooked added to the top and tipped with a green glo stick.. Some use a minnow head but my best luck has been with a glo stick..

We find em in 60 FOW but thats in a lake with a max of 300.. other places around here you find em in march hang'n on the bottom in 20-30 sometimes shallower..
Bite is normally the best an hour before and after dark

Offline DyingBreed

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • DYING BREED
« Reply #7 on: Feb 03, 2010, 04:29 PM »
Burbut in Wiloughby.....nice thought ! Have to check that out. Clear/cold bet they're tails are sweet! Can fish out of Mr.Waysvilles camp, so could be a possibility. Interesting thought for something different this winter. Like to hear how it goes.      Burbut challenge!?   :flex:
If the women don't find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy !  Fish on, gotta go ..........!!!

Offline lennyvt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 03, 2010, 05:05 PM »
Can fish out of Mr.Waysvilles camp
are you talking about john waysville from springfield?

Offline battalion75

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 03, 2010, 06:37 PM »
30 years ago (has it been that long already?) I fished with relatives on Willoughby for burbot, or cusk to others.  We would get to the lake mid afternoon and set tips for trout and at the end of the day put the live or dead minnows on the bottom.  The fish rarely tripped the flag, so we would fire up a Coleman lantern and just go from hole to hole to see what was there.  We'd fish until about 10 PM as we had to drive back to Littleton NH afterwards.  We never were skunked, and there were some really nice cusk back then.  I'd love to go back and do it again, that lake was a blast!  As I recall you didn't need to walk far from shore to get in deep water, that lake really drops off!
I miss the North Country!

Offline johndeere540

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 03, 2010, 10:12 PM »
Pretty soon he mean John. Guess we know more than one of the same people, Lenny. Small world huh?

Offline handload

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 03, 2010, 10:17 PM »
Thanks for the info fellas. Hey Johndeere, you mentioned the beach, is that the one on the north or south end. Supose I wont have to look at any nude fat guys in February!  The south beach is closer as I will be coming off the hill from Newerk.

Offline lennyvt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 04, 2010, 06:09 AM »
Pretty soon he mean John. Guess we know more than one of the same people, Lenny. Small world huh?
yeah thats funny john is my aunts brother. john is a great from a great family ;D

Offline TRT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Trout/Salmon
« Reply #13 on: Feb 04, 2010, 01:16 PM »
We often catch them at night preparing for the early bite. I would fish
all night. I would target right off the bottom have done well with
smelt or new regulated bait. They will eat anything..

Offline CJiceaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Feb 04, 2010, 02:32 PM »
Man, you guys must not like cod either? Cusk are some great eating fish if you cook them right!

Offline DyingBreed

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • DYING BREED
« Reply #15 on: Feb 05, 2010, 01:19 PM »
Sure thing. Good man. Offered Rod and me a place to stay. If we were to head up. :thumbsup:
If the women don't find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy !  Fish on, gotta go ..........!!!

Offline Bailbuster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 06, 2010, 07:30 PM »
Man, you guys must not like cod either? Cusk are some great eating fish if you cook them right!

Cusk aint Cod no matter how you cook it. ::)

Catching big fish is like winning the door prize!
Have to be there to win!!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.