The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Pack advice  (Read 2854 times)

Offline Ice Trooper

• IceShanty Rookie
Pack advice
« on: Feb 02, 2010, 07:30 PM »
My pack basket just isn't cutting it anymore.  Wondering if anyone has any advice for a nylon type bag that they have had good luck with.  I'm looking for something that will hold 5 Heritage Lakers.  Thanks

Offline mtaeagles15

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Pack advice
« Reply #1 on: Feb 02, 2010, 08:11 PM »
I have and ht enterprises bag (black and yellow) that i bought from beans. It looks small, but i can fit 7 heritage trap, scoop jig pole and every thing else i need in it. It works great for me.
Wide open throttle and Coors in a bottle.

Offline flintlokusa

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Feb 02, 2010, 08:14 PM »
Jack Trap has a nice nylon bag on their site. It has 5 small pockets  to keep the traps apart, room in the center, draw string top, and a zipper pocket out side, also has straps to carry like a pack.
Keep Your Powder Dry

Offline jiggah

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 02, 2010, 09:15 PM »
i don't know if you have a mardens nearby...but i bought a crossbow case in waterville that i keep all 10 of my jacks in..it has a side pocket that is designed for arrows but i use it for 3 extra traps..it zippers shut and cost $16. this was like amonth and a half ago,,but they still might have some ???
It's not the size that matters! Wait, yeah it is!!!!!!

Offline Yukon Steve

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Chillin' Out!!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 03, 2010, 12:08 AM »
My wife bought me a Loring pack basket and holds my 5 Heritages plus a couple of thermos with plenty of room to spare. It"s made of some sort of plastic and has a lifetime waranty.
Steve

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #5 on: Feb 03, 2010, 05:08 AM »
I use the bag from a folding camping chair i got at wal mart...works very good...these are big bobs in mine lakers would fit inside and be able to close it  ;D

Offline ICEMAINEiac

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 03, 2010, 05:59 AM »
do yourself a favor and check out the loring baskets   ;)

Offline aziscohosaddict

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 03, 2010, 06:32 AM »
My wife bought me a Loring pack basket and holds my 5 Heritages plus a couple of thermos with plenty of room to spare. It"s made of some sort of plastic and has a lifetime waranty.
thats the way to go, maybe a little more then a regular basket but your great great grand kids will be able to use it some day.

Offline LilBadger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 03, 2010, 06:33 AM »
I have a Baseball Bat bag that work perfectly for me :P

Offline Yukon Steve

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Chillin' Out!!
« Reply #9 on: Feb 03, 2010, 07:19 AM »
thats the way to go, maybe a little more then a regular basket but your great great grand kids will be able to use it some day.
They are nice and aren't really that much more then an Allagash, I think my wife said she paid $123 for the 24" W/liner. She spoke to the guy who actually makes them and he told her he might not be able to ship one right away because he in the process of building some for stores but when she explained it was a Christmas gift he said no problem and shipped one that day so I could have it under the tree. Thought that was pretty cool.
Steve

Offline Yukon Steve

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Chillin' Out!!
« Reply #10 on: Feb 03, 2010, 07:20 AM »
I used my wifes softball bag which is why she bought me a Loring ;)
Steve

Offline burndoubt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 03, 2010, 07:38 AM »
I have the red and black backpack from Cabelas. Some of the stitching isn't top quality but I have been using it reliably for three years. Fits 5 heritage and 2 jig rods with ease, plus plenty of tackle room.

Offline Bigmac

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 03, 2010, 07:46 AM »
Once my pack basket was getting tired I switched over to a overnight hiking pack. It holds all five of my traps plus has room for a jig rod and my all the rest of my gear in the outside pockets.

Offline IceMan75

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 03, 2010, 08:19 AM »
I have and ht enterprises bag (black and yellow) that i bought from beans. It looks small, but i can fit 7 heritage trap, scoop jig pole and every thing else i need in it. It works great for me.

I got that same bag for my heritage because it said it holds 5 and I can fit 7 and some other stuff not to mention the outside pockets.  I put my creepers  and other stuff in the outside pockets.  My brother in law got one after I did and loves his too.  Good piece of gear.

The only bad thing about it is that my wife told me to get it a week earlier than I did and I said it wouldn't hold my five traps so now I had to eat crow :whistle: :sick: :-[
I Walk on Water in the Winter.....

Offline TheCommander

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 03, 2010, 08:28 AM »
I just bought a Lorin basket and think it's very ruggedly made and worth the money.  I fit five Jack traps a scoop and a jig pole with room to spare. Also had very fast service from the time I ordered till it arrived at my house. ;D  

Offline mtahkypinette18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 03, 2010, 08:39 AM »

thats what I use, works like a charm

Offline ancman31

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Feb 08, 2010, 08:28 PM »
I used to carry a pack basket. A few years ago my wife bought me a ready rig for christmas. WOW, this thing is awesome. Its essentially a frame pack for icefishermen. Very roomy main pocket that carries my rod pack, a tip-up case, my skimmer, and my cookware. It also has a removable bag that i carry my food and utensils in. This thing has about a dozen misc pockets for stowaway jig boxes and other small stuff. They added a reflective strip for safety. Even fully loaded its a breeze to carry. The paaded straps dont cut in and the chest straps and hip padding distributes the weight well. I believe she paid about $40 bucks. Do yourself a favor and check them out. www.readyrig.com I think that link is broken but if you google ready rig ice pack you will see what they look like.
Keep your stick on the ice...Im pullin for yah

Offline Dags Bait Maine

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 17, 2010, 03:59 AM »
Denmar makes a very nice trap bag that i carry and a lot of other shops in Maine do to. its made out of cordura, the same material in a military issue duffel bag. they come in three different lengths, depending on your traps. i can't seem to find a pic on the web though.

-Dylan
Marcel & Dylan Larose
559 minot ave (207) 783-0388

Offline JRP

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Feb 17, 2010, 04:36 AM »
Denmar Sports makes a bag with five trap pockets inside.  It keeps the traps in their place and leaves plenty of room for other gear.  On the outside of the bag there are shoulder straps so you can carry it like a pack basket. It's made from heavy material that should last for years.  They work well although a bit expensive at $50, but about the same $ as a pack basket.

Offline JRP

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Feb 17, 2010, 04:38 AM »
Denmar makes a very nice trap bag that i carry and a lot of other shops in Maine do to. its made out of cordura, the same material in a military issue duffel bag. they come in three different lengths, depending on your traps. i can't seem to find a pic on the web though.

-Dylan

Sorry didn't see Dags reply when I posted mine.

Offline Bear32

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Feb 17, 2010, 07:48 AM »
  There was a company that made trap bags & socks that where in my opinion made much better than the Denmar products. The material used was heavier & carried a life time warranty. Trap Socks I believe is the company name. There made in ME.

Offline fuldraw

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 17, 2010, 11:38 AM »
I too love my ready rig I got it for Christmas last year and it's great. I fit my 5 jack traps in it and 2 jigging rods and I never get tangles like I did in the pack basket because there are divided compartments and there is ton of other storage ands it's really comfy to carry. I'm pretty sure my gf picked it up for me at cabelas.

Offline Dags Bait Maine

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 24, 2010, 08:14 AM »
Denmar Sports makes a bag with five trap pockets inside.  It keeps the traps in their place and leaves plenty of room for other gear.  On the outside of the bag there are shoulder straps so you can carry it like a pack basket. It's made from heavy material that should last for years.  They work well although a bit expensive at $50, but about the same $ as a pack basket.

$50! who's getting that for them? they should be priced more like $40 or less.

-Dylan
Marcel & Dylan Larose
559 minot ave (207) 783-0388

Offline perchplunderer

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • rippin' lips and takin' weights
« Reply #23 on: Feb 24, 2010, 08:31 AM »
i have a large waterproof duffell bag that i can fit all my traps, scoops and jig poles in it and it fits perfectly into the sled i pull around

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.