The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Arrowhead  (Read 2400 times)

Offline optimusfisher

• IceShanty Rookie
Arrowhead
« on: Feb 02, 2010, 08:37 AM »
Anyone fish Arrowhead through the ice? It's close to where I live, so I was thinking of giving it a try for those days when I have a small fishing time window or just don't have the gumption to head up into the islands. I usually fish it in the spring during the crappie spawn and just slaughter 'em. I was wondering what people might of had luck with during the winter months. I know there is pike in there from seeing them in the spring, and I've heard that guys get Walleye out of there as well. I know jack diddly about walleye, but would love to learn.

Offline lemdawg

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Arrowhead
« Reply #1 on: Feb 02, 2010, 08:40 AM »
Anyone fish Arrowhead through the ice? It's close to where I live, so I was thinking of giving it a try for those days when I have a small fishing time window or just don't have the gumption to head up into the islands. I usually fish it in the spring during the crappie spawn and just slaughter 'em. I was wondering what people might of had luck with during the winter months. I know there is pike in there from seeing them in the spring, and I've heard that guys get Walleye out of there as well. I know jack diddly about walleye, but would love to learn.

Crappies....do you have the right lake?

Offline duckdownr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 02, 2010, 07:02 PM »
I too was wondering about fishing Arrowhead. I think I might give it a go sometime???

Look in the threads about "champlain Walleye" for a low down on how to fish for them??? I damn sure dont know, :tipup: but these guys have helped me put other fish on my line!!!

Offline whitetail05401

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 03, 2010, 05:14 AM »
Last time i did perch on Arrowhead they were very very very very  wormy. This was a couple of years ago........jim s

Offline handload

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 03, 2010, 05:30 AM »
I live only a couple miles from Arrowhead and use to ice fish it a lot. Real nice eyes.........kind of a suprise how nice they are. The perch can be real nice size to....but as mentioned, very wormy!! The depth changes all over the lake...........channel s, sand bars and various "structure". I don't fish it much anymore due to the ever changing ice conditions as water is let out of the dam........a little too spooky now that I'm so old and just don't care to be on the edge the whole time out there. There are a lot of other places to fish. If anyone tries it remember to bring ice picks, a change of clothes and old underware.

Offline optimusfisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 03, 2010, 07:16 AM »
Hmm... hadn't given thought to the effect of the dam on the ice conditions. I usually fish the Gerogia/Fairfax end of the lake in the spring, but was goign to try going on at the Dam Store in Milton because that's where I have seen other folks. That's probably the area where the ice would be most bothered by dam activity, drats... I may need to rethink this. The wife just bought me a power auger for Valentines day. I don't really want to put that in the drink.

lemdawg, yes we catch crappie in arrowhead, quite a few. Do you know the lake? There are a couple of great spawning holes my fishing buddy and I always hit that produce awesome for crappie and are pretty good for largemouth during the catch and release season. I'll finally have a boat this coming season, so I'm going to try to see if I can find where they go once they leave the spawn holes.

Offline rboot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 03, 2010, 07:29 AM »
do you get any crappie with some size to them?
<br />Ice Fish Vermont

Offline getreeled

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rocks!
« Reply #7 on: Feb 03, 2010, 12:12 PM »
Big Big Crappie Out Of arrowhead Me and Optimus Have Caught Some Serious Slabs Using the itsy bitsy crank by strike king (purchased at walmart) and using slip bobber technique. optimus I think We should hit our old spot on keelers and night fish the shallows and we can always hit crappie there, bringing a few new pan fish jigs and techniques we haven't tried yet on them and those fussy perch. What You Think?

Offline optimusfisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 03, 2010, 12:26 PM »
That or maybe try out carmi. It'd be nice if I could get this stupid atv to start!

Offline lemdawg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 03, 2010, 01:26 PM »
my father fishes that religously and has never caught a crappie.  lots of wormy perch and a few sunnies, but no crappies.

Offline optimusfisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 03, 2010, 01:40 PM »
If you know the right spots the crappie in arrowhead are downright suicidal during the spring. We know some of their spawning holes. You hit those and run a crank bait along the length of a submerged log and those little suckers com rifling out slamming the thing. I think it is more of a territorial attack than an eating instict. Sometimes when they aren't feeling quite as aggressive we slip bobber some worms and draw them out with a food bite. The aggressive slams on the cranks are the most fun by far. I have no clue where in the lake they head after the spawn. Up until know we didn't have a boat to go find them. Once the spawn is over they vacate the spawn holes in a hurry which then quickly grow over with weedage and become no good for any kind of fishing. Before the weed up thouh you can get the crappie, perch, sunnies, largemouth, the occasional pickeral or pike, and of course bullpout. Seems most people that fish arrowhead are after the bullpout.

Offline lemdawg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 03, 2010, 02:18 PM »
i live 1/2 a mile from there.  i have caught all of those fish, including big rock bass, but no crappies.

Offline optimusfisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 03, 2010, 02:50 PM »
Are you sure what you are calling rock bass weren't crappie

Offline getreeled

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rocks!
« Reply #13 on: Feb 03, 2010, 07:31 PM »
Optimus We now have A Monster Multi purpose Jet Sled, 4 Brand New Tip-ups And Some New Jiggs And Berkly Bleeding Spikes.

Offline bushey911

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 03, 2010, 08:09 PM »
opti, I to live close to the lake, why not go to the islands?  If you need company or ride let me know, always headed that way to keelers or around there. :tipup:

Offline getreeled

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rocks!
« Reply #15 on: Feb 04, 2010, 09:21 AM »
opti, I to live close to the lake, why not go to the islands?  If you need company or ride let me know, always headed that way to keelers or around there. :tipup:

The Wind Sucked and we had a hand auger so drilling through the two feet of ice was brutal on us. but now armed with a power auger and some new gear we might try again from what I'm understanding Most of the fish are feeding at sun up and sun down then after feeding they are retreating into deeper water I think I'm getting there patterns figured out so far we shall see on Saturday. also people have been raving about lake carmi, may attempt new location if anyone has any recent updates on the fishing there.

Offline rboot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Feb 04, 2010, 09:42 AM »
so the crappie fishing is good there in the spring but what about through the ice? anybody got any pics of arrowhead crappie?
<br />Ice Fish Vermont

Offline getreeled

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rocks!
« Reply #17 on: Feb 04, 2010, 10:11 AM »
so the crappie fishing is good there in the spring but what about through the ice? anybody got any pics of arrowhead crappie?

I do Have Pictures from arrowhead crappie from our spring trip but nothing through the ice yet, it's kind of iffy from what I've heard. The Crappie Pictured Bellow came from arrowhead, and very yummy.

Offline optimusfisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Feb 04, 2010, 11:33 AM »

We fished keeler's religiously last year, but we've been getting skunked this year so partially I was just looking for somewhere different to try. I've also got a 7 month old baby at home now, so sometimes trips get abbreviated and I was looking for something close on those days when I'm trying to squeek something in. I think I'd rather have some driving time than take a swim though.

Offline optimusfisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Feb 04, 2010, 11:35 AM »
I do Have Pictures from arrowhead crappie from our spring trip but nothing through the ice yet, it's kind of iffy from what I've heard. The Crappie Pictured Bellow came from arrowhead, and very yummy.

Do you still have the pic of the slabber I got last spring?

Offline getreeled

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rocks!
« Reply #20 on: Feb 04, 2010, 11:41 AM »
Do you still have the pic of the slabber I got last spring?

Of Course

Offline bushey911

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 05, 2010, 04:48 PM »
Nice fish....well i guess a congrats in order....yea i think we all prefer to stay dry

Offline getreeled

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rocks!
« Reply #22 on: Feb 05, 2010, 09:07 PM »
Me Tooo LOL ;D

Offline razzledazzle

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fish H8 me
« Reply #23 on: Feb 07, 2010, 04:51 AM »
Me Tooo LOL ;D

That's a big crappie!  Beauty!
Fish H8 me ™
www.fishH8me.com

Gerry

Offline getreeled

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rocks!
« Reply #24 on: Feb 09, 2010, 01:39 PM »
The Crappie Are Huge In Arrowhead, Lots Of Yummy Slabs.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.