The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Somerset Res  (Read 1517 times)

Offline gavix141414

• IceShanty Rookie
Somerset Res
« on: Feb 01, 2010, 01:17 PM »
I am hoping to try Somerset Res this weekend, but have never fished there on the ice. With the Harriman derby being postponed and schedule conflicts on the unsafe ice dates, I have the weekend off and want to try a new place. Has anyone ice fished at Somerset and had any luck? Years ago we used to fish there in the summer for smallies, trout, perch and always did well, just never tried on ice.

Thanks in advance

Offline freaknasty7

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Somerset Res
« Reply #1 on: Feb 01, 2010, 02:08 PM »
ive fished there a couple times years ago. fished to the right of the boat landing where the brook comes in and got some nice trout and bass. my buddy caught an otter there too. that was humorous. im sure the ice is plenty safe, i was up there rabbit hunting this past weekend and it was about 10 below. good luck to ya!

Offline lennyvt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 01, 2010, 02:19 PM »
I am hoping to try Somerset Res this weekend, but have never fished there on the ice. With the Harriman derby being postponed and schedule conflicts on the unsafe ice dates, I have the weekend off and want to try a new place. Has anyone ice fished at Somerset and had any luck? Years ago we used to fish there in the summer for smallies, trout, perch and always did well, just never tried on ice.

Thanks in advance
gavix141414 always wanted to ice fish there seen some pics of huge rainbows come out of there 5+ pounders let me know how you did.

Offline wilec

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • support our troops
« Reply #3 on: Feb 01, 2010, 04:57 PM »
rainbows out of Somerset?  i used to fish there a lot in the summer I was sure the only rainbows ever in there were stocked and they actually stopped stocking them there cuz they were all dying.  they then stocked it with brookies.  there are huge browns in there that are caught mostly after ice out or a few guys use downriggers in the summer.  i have never ice fished it though.  Guys i know that tried it years ago were catching nothing but pickeral.  Lots of stuff up there in the sticks.  I found some rather large cat tracks while snowshoeing there last year.  One important thing.  there is a good chance if there is any amount of snow they stop plowing about 1/4-1/2 mile from the access. and half of that is pretty steep just so you know. 

Offline freaknasty7

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 01, 2010, 07:28 PM »
you would be able to make it right up to the lake if you have 4x4. they stop plowing right by the tube. the rest of the way up is sled trails. just watch out for snowmobilers, they might get a little mad when they see you coming up the trail! just let em know whats up. haha

Offline vtbrookfisher87

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 01, 2010, 07:39 PM »
alaways wanted to try it its only a couple miles from me

Offline freaknasty7

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 01, 2010, 08:20 PM »
give it a shot. who knows, could be a good day of fishing. good luck to those who try it this year

Offline wilec

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • support our troops
« Reply #7 on: Feb 01, 2010, 08:28 PM »
i guess if it's packed down real good.  I saw a 4x4 stuck on the hill once.  It got a little soft and he was buried in 2-3 feet of snow.  I was always to chicken.  I didn't  really need to drive up anyway i was just snowshoeing and trying to call in bobcats.  not a place you wanna get stuck. 

Offline lennyvt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 02, 2010, 06:07 AM »
rainbows out of Somerset?
buckshot464 showed me a picture of one he caught in somerset that was 6 pounds one of my first post on iceshanty.com

Offline grasspikerel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 02, 2010, 07:47 AM »
I've fished Somerset a number of times over the past 10 years and never caught a rainbow or a brown.  There was an article a few years ago about Somerset, "Vermont's untaped trophy brown trout mecca."  I consider my self a fairly decent fisherman.  I pretty much catch trout anytime I fish Harriman, but at Somerset, I only catch brookies, smallies, pikerel, bullhead, fallfish and rock bass.  Add in sunfish, golden shiners and suckers, and those are the only species that I would say have anything like a viable population in Somerset. 

Offline gavix141414

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 02, 2010, 11:20 AM »
Thanks for the input guys. sounds like i should at least have a few flags. We will be up there all day friday and saturday if its decent. stop up and have some blackberry with us.

thanks, will report on our trip later

Gavin

Offline wilec

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • support our troops
« Reply #11 on: Feb 02, 2010, 01:32 PM »
they stock Harriman with a ton of trout but stock very little in somerset.  I've seen pics of monster browns out of there and the hatchery guys out of bennington did a shock survey with a biologist years ago and said they brought up some huge browns.  my sons buddy showed me pics of red suckers out of somerset. 

Offline gavix141414

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 02, 2010, 01:52 PM »
I usually fish harriman but i want to try something new. I saw on the stocking report that they put something like 2000 brookies in somerset this summer. Having not been out yet this year because of work, i am anxious to get a flag of any type. a nice trout will be a bonus.

Offline vtbrookfisher87

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 02, 2010, 04:25 PM »
ill be there on saturday at sunrise till little after dark to the let of boat launch near river

Offline gavix141414

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Feb 03, 2010, 08:11 AM »
brook we are camping at airport road fri night and will be at somerset saturday also. not sure where we will set up probably spread out a bunch on friday.

Offline gavix141414

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 03, 2010, 05:59 PM »
Are there smelt in someret?

Offline grasspikerel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 03, 2010, 06:14 PM »
There's no smelt, no rainbows, maybe 2 browns.

Offline freaknasty7

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 06, 2010, 06:33 PM »
just seeing how you guys did at somerset res. i was up there rabbit hunting yest and today. you might have saw the red tundra around. thought i would check up on ya and see how you did..hopefully you did well

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.