Author Topic: Matthieson/Utica  (Read 773 times)

Offline Soozookie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Plastics!
Matthieson/Utica
« on: Jan 31, 2010, 05:36 PM »
I have heard of people ice fishing here... I noticed a small pond hidden in the trees, i dont think most people knows its there.  I noticed this pond when i was playing golf out at Deer Park this past summer. My ? is has anyone ever iced fished there, and what are limits on panfish, any tips would be great appreciated think im ganna head out in the morning Thanks

Offline blufloyd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Re: Matthieson/Utica
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31, 2010, 06:09 PM »
Those of us that do know that it is not good this year.  Used to be known for monster pumpkinseeds. Was downhill last 2 years and my last report was no bites which is unheard of there. Maybe due for restock or heavy rains washed it out but not good .
I fish better with a lit cigar; some people fish better with talent. ~Nick Lyons, Bright Rivers, 1977

Offline boscolab

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 01, 2010, 05:30 PM »
I have been there 3 times (I'm 4 miles away from it)

Not a good year is an understatement. Not sure what happened.... I have not even marked a fish on the vex. I had one bite when i was drilling another hole and thats it. The other part that concerns me is I used to find deeper water than what im finding. Silted in that much? Not sure. I have had better luck at the I and M canal. That tells you how bad Math Lake has gotten....

If your close by, it is always worth a try. I might try it one more time yet this year. just to make sure.....
If I had a penny for every time, people thought they would get rich from getting pennys for every thing they claim they do or hear, over and over again, I would be richer than Richy Rich.
HUH?

Offline Soozookie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Plastics!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 01, 2010, 07:58 PM »
Thanks bob for the info, idk if  im ganna try or not doesnt sound like the place to be. So what u catch at canal?  Have you done anygood this season? Just wondering looking for new spots thats all

Offline boscolab

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 02, 2010, 12:19 PM »
The I and M has small gills, crappie, and so so bass. I pulled a small sauger earlier this year. I don't normally fish around Lasalle County unless I'm at a private pond or two. Hennepin canal is good. Shabbona or Evergreen are good lakes but both can be tough. For me they are the same drive as is Bloomington. Dawson is an extra 20 miles over the 48 to Evergreen/Bloomington lakes.

If you head  towards the city, there are lots of forest preserve lakes that allow ice fishing. I prefer to go south instead. Less people.

No wall mounters this year but well over 300 fish for the season. So far so good.

I see your from Peru. I grew up in Lasalle by Heglar park. Let me know when your out an about.
If I had a penny for every time, people thought they would get rich from getting pennys for every thing they claim they do or hear, over and over again, I would be richer than Richy Rich.
HUH?

Offline hoffmann35

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Feb 04, 2010, 08:34 PM »
Those of us that do know that it is not good this year.  Used to be known for monster pumpkinseeds. Was downhill last 2 years and my last report was no bites which is unheard of there. Maybe due for restock or heavy rains washed it out but not good .

+1

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.