Author Topic: Mazonia South  (Read 2366 times)

Offline minnowkeith

• Team IceShanty Regular
Mazonia South
« on: Jan 29, 2010, 03:13 PM »
Any reports from the South unit that anyone cares to share would be appreciated.  :whistle:  Don't want any particular pit info just general ice and fishing reports as of this last week. Thanks.
Leave nothing behind but your footprints

Offline bubbahide

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Mazonia South
« Reply #1 on: Jan 29, 2010, 05:04 PM »
Sucked. Uas out today and not one bite.  >:(
GO BIG OR GO HOME

Offline geoff

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 30, 2010, 04:54 PM »
Was at the bar last night and heard some good things about mazonia.  Lots of species and lakes but looked online and cant find much of anything on it.  I would like to try it but its about an hour away.  I would also like to know if its worth it

Offline crappie66

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 30, 2010, 11:01 PM »
Never fished it.  There are somewhat frequest reports for Mazonia on chicagolandfishing.
Have been wanting to give it a try, but there are so many pits I wouldn't have a clue where to start. 
A few weeks ago a lot of good stuff was said, lately I am reading it has slowed down.

Real fisherman don't yield to the weather.

Offline Tricounty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 31, 2010, 09:37 AM »
There are a lot of lakes out there, not much info as far as maps go. you have to pick a lake and start checking it out and unless you know some one who already has.
I went to Doc lake last year and caught a lot of 12 inch bass, no gills.
I also went to lake #8 a four times got a lot of dink gills, could not find any keepers.
I think they are deep without a lot of structure, maybe some fake weeds would help.
If I can get rid of this darn cold maybe I could get out.

Good Fishin!
Tony
Looks like Chuck is taking the skinny boat to tuna town. "Pops"

Offline minnowkeith

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 03, 2010, 10:21 PM »
Fished the south unit last Saturday. Spent the day on 2 pits and between 3 of us we left with less than 20 gills. I didn't have any keepers. The bigger gills were caught in 4 to 5' of water. Many fish caught in 15 to 22' but most were smaller fish. :(
Leave nothing behind but your footprints

Offline jsbz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 04, 2010, 06:55 AM »
I havent had much luck at Mozonia or Milliken this year.  I started checking out the retention ponds/lakes in subdivisions around my house and cant believe what I have been missing.  I started Tuesday night after work (3pm) and fished until 5pm and pulled 12 crappie and 20+ gills by myself.  My brother was also with me and had just about the same luck.  I went out last night around the same time for about an hour and ended up with 8 crappie and about 10 or so keeper gills.  Not sure I will waste my time driving when I can do this in my back yard.  Maybe check into these areas that are not restricted and you will be amazed :)

Offline Tricounty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 04, 2010, 07:53 AM »
Some of those ponds they put a lot of work into . I know there is one on 52 in shorewood that they put a bunch of rock pills in before it filled up. They ponds near me seem only to have bass in them. Good to hear that you found a good one. :clap:

Offline jsbz

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 04, 2010, 12:40 PM »
Not sure which one you are talking about on rt 52.  I know the one on the left of river rd that have done a nice job with.  There was a shanty or two on the ice last week and yesterday noticed someone built some real nice structure / cribs they have on the ice until it thaws.  Its kinda hard to gage the subdivision ponds as to if its ok to fish or not but so far so good.  I figure if I am quiet, and pickup my mess and leave it the way it was when I got there people wont mind.

Offline Tricounty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 07, 2010, 04:34 PM »
I don't see why it should be a problem fishing the neiborhood ponds. But you never know about some people. :cookoo:
I remember when I was a young kid, some lady called the cops on me for having a bow out in the fields "huntin wabbits"

I found a nice pond next to 80, some one said it had crappies so far all I found has been bass, still fun to catch.

Offline ultraguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 07, 2010, 08:44 PM »
If thats the same pond I'm thinkin of on the southside of 80 between RT45 and 88th ave? See guys out there all the time fishin that pond. Hell I think they even left their lawn chairs out there...

Poorboy

Offline birddog74

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 08, 2010, 10:52 AM »
I belong to a private club just on the south side of Mazonia and it has slowed down alot in the past week.  Did manage some nice gills yesterday and the ice was 10" on the big pits and 7"-8" on the smaller ones.  Gold diamond jig or a black nuclear ant took most fish.

Offline Tricounty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 08, 2010, 04:18 PM »
That the one I am the guy with the gander mtn yukon. I don't know whos lawn chair.

Offline birddog74

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 08, 2010, 07:56 PM »
I saw those chairs fro 80 last week.  Now I could see that down here by me in Coal City but not Mokena.  Maybe one of the hillbillys from down here decided to take a trip north.

Offline ultraguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 09, 2010, 03:59 AM »
Heading out the the south unit this morning before the main part of the snow storm moves in. Got a tip from a friend on a pit back there that was hot for him yesterday. Only problem is it's about a mile walk from the truck so I'll pack the sled light...

Tricounty or TJP? Ah ok the gander yukon seen it b4 not sure that was yours but a nice ride. Just got rid of my 06 silverado crew cab for an 2010 Ford F250 super duty crw cab. 13.5mpg on the HWY....ouch on the wallet....

Poorboy

Offline Tricounty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 09, 2010, 08:55 AM »
Poorboy , thats the truck I want ! did you get the desiel or V-10?

Offline ultraguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 09, 2010, 12:50 PM »
V-10 and I love this truck. Fully loaded...Owned all GM trucks and this is my first Ford. Probably will never buy a GM again at least at this point. I only have 1,800 miles on it. What are you plans for this weekend? I'll be on the ice Saturday and Sunday if your interested let me know....

Poorboy

Offline wilbur

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Feb 09, 2010, 05:30 PM »
Poorboy
       How did you make out at mazonia.  Did you make it out?

Offline ultraguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 10, 2010, 06:03 AM »
Wilbur,
 Son was sick so I stayed home and hung out with the wife kids.

Poorboy

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.