The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Limit question  (Read 2487 times)

Offline carver1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I CANT LEAVE, I ALMOST HAD A BITE
Limit question
« on: Jan 28, 2010, 09:53 AM »
I should probably know the answer to this but I do not... I know in canada once you get your limit of walleye you must seize fishing for them... Not even catch and release.... Now in MI waters once you get your limit of walleye can you still fish for them..... And yes my primary open water fishing is walleye, I should know this... shame on me... :0)

Offline 53andout

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Time spent fishing is not deducted from the total
Re: Limit question
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2010, 10:25 AM »
Throw one or 2 back and you no longer have a limit. Fishing is more than taking home a limit.
Bruster

Offline carver1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 28, 2010, 10:30 AM »
Throw one or 2 back and you no longer have a limit. Fishing is more than taking home a limit.
That did not answer the question... I get to fish about once a week so my goal is a limit so if i get one I usually keep it..... However I want to be legal.... So can you catch and release if you have your 5 walleye in the boat/ on the ice

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 28, 2010, 10:30 AM »
I should probably know the answer to this but I do not... I know in canada once you get your limit of walleye you must seize fishing for them... Not even catch and release.... Now in MI waters once you get your limit of walleye can you still fish for them..... And yes my primary open water fishing is walleye, I should know this... shame on me... :0)

Carver,

Good question for everyone to understand indeed. I will leave you with an example I learned from during Steelhead fishing in the spring on the AuSable. You are allowed three Steelies in possession. Once you catch your third, you may release it and continue to target the species, or retain the third fish and cease fishing. This is why you so often will see a Steelheader releasing many fish after retaining two, then when they want to leave for home they catch and keep a thrid.

Hope this answers your question. I have been on the bank a number of times and have listened to the explanation from the DNR. Once you attain your limit of a target species, you may no longer attempt to catch additional fish of the speciaes.

Hope this helps ya ;)

Offline carver1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 28, 2010, 10:32 AM »
Carver,

Good question for everyone to understand indeed. I will leave you with an example I learned from during Steelhead fishing in the spring on the AuSable. You are allowed three Steelies in possession. Once you catch your third, you may release it and continue to target the species, or retain the third fish and cease fishing. This is why you so often will see a Steelheader releasing many fish after retaining two, then when they want to leave for home they catch and keep a thrid.

Hope this answers your question. I have been on the bank a number of times and have listened to the explanation from the DNR. Once you attain your limit of a target species, you may no longer attempt to catch additional fish of the speciaes.

Hope this helps ya ;)
PERFECT ANSWER.... THANKS BUDDY

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 28, 2010, 01:59 PM »

53 and out,

You have stereo-typed fishermen here. Seems like you are assuming that everyone fishes for the same reasons you do. But many families fish for food, for canning, smoking and freezing in order to survive a winter. This can be said for many retirees and families in less than fortunate situations, where maybe the occupation did not allow them to retire at 53 :-\

For some a limit is indeed a need. This can be true of some guides and charter boat captains that may depend upon a limit uting to support a biz by developing a great rep. Also, for the meat hunter, not recreational fish hunter, a limit can represent success. It may be how one judges a trip or outing, the benchmark or standard.

So I guess for you fishing may be about more than just a limit, but no way that can apply to all others. I suspect that the longer you remain a shanty member, communicating with others that have diverse opinions, techniques, likes and dislikes the more you will understand this. Not that you will like it or support it, but it is what it is.  :tipup:

Offline hardysf

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 28, 2010, 02:05 PM »
Are you sure this is correct?  I would have guessed that you wouldn' have to cease due to tournament fishing.  If the rule is correct as stated is culling illegal?  Is it maybe different for steelhead than other fish? Or is there a tournament exception? Maybe it is just a rule the DNR is not too particular on.  Anyways, I have no idea and if that is what the DNR told you RL then I imagine you are correct.

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 28, 2010, 02:07 PM »
Are you sure this is correct?  I would have guessed that you wouldn' have to cease due to tournament fishing.  If the rule is correct as stated is culling illegal?  Is it maybe different for steelhead than other fish? Or is there a tournament exception? Maybe it is just a rule the DNR is not too particular on.  Anyways, I have no idea and if that is what the DNR told you RL then I imagine you are correct.

Hardy,

Would not be the first time the DNR has issued conflicting opinions... you may want to lodge an e-mail to them to see what they say??? :-\

Offline hardysf

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 28, 2010, 02:11 PM »
I am lucky in this situation as it doesn't usually pertain to me.  When ice fishing for gills, once I get my limit I am going after pike, going home, or trying to fill a buddies limit.  Open water season we don't really keep anything besides walleye and either we don't limit out or it takes all day to do so anyways.  I agree it is a good question though.

Offline axtell31

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 28, 2010, 02:20 PM »
Helping a buddy fill his limit is also illegal.. I know its a hard one to prove and done by many, just found out that last spring when the DNR watched one of my buddy's catch his limit of walleyes while fishing on the shore and then continue fishing only to give his 6th keeper to a buddy to finish his limit.  Technically I was told your suppose to stop fishing, because in michigan especially with walleyes and such once you have your limit which is also your possession limit that 6th one puts it over the limit even though you are going to release it.  Now if there is another species that you can fish for in that area, it is very tough for the DNR to win an arguement if you say it was an accidental catch.

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 28, 2010, 02:23 PM »
Helping a buddy fill his limit is also illegal.. I know its a hard one to prove and done by many, just found out that last spring when the DNR watched one of my buddy's catch his limit of walleyes while fishing on the shore and then continue fishing only to give his 6th keeper to a buddy to finish his limit.  Technically I was told your suppose to stop fishing, because in michigan especially with walleyes and such once you have your limit which is also your possession limit that 6th one puts it over the limit even though you are going to release it.  Now if there is another species that you can fish for in that area, it is very tough for the DNR to win an arguement if you say it was an accidental catch.

This too is witnessed each spring on the steelie rivers. Been there done that. Good post axtell.

Offline fishinfreak89

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 28, 2010, 03:11 PM »
as long as thy are alive and well yoiu can catch and upgrade

Offline solman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • TEAM MICHIGAN
« Reply #12 on: Jan 28, 2010, 03:20 PM »
as long as thy are alive and well yoiu can catch and upgrade

Not True. Not if the possession limit and the daily limit are the same.

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 28, 2010, 03:40 PM »
Not True. Not if the possession limit and the daily limit are the same.

Solman, I will lean towards your advice as I have seen first hand evidence by ticket issues for doing what freak suggests. Guess not all the DNR officers have been briefed by freak yet?? :-\

Offline solman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • TEAM MICHIGAN
« Reply #14 on: Jan 28, 2010, 03:44 PM »
Solman, I will lean towards your advice as I have seen first hand evidence by ticket issues for doing what freak suggests. Guess not all the DNR officers have been briefed by freak yet?? :-\

Thank you Sir, thank you. 

Offline Mr.Vexilar

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 28, 2010, 03:44 PM »
So.... When Im fishing a tourny, and have my 5 bass in the livewell for the weigh in i need to stop??  I cant Cull?  IDK, i think there is mixed opinions on this, and im sure you could get variance in answers from different CO's.

Offline solman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • TEAM MICHIGAN
« Reply #16 on: Jan 28, 2010, 03:47 PM »
So.... When Im fishing a tourny, and have my 5 bass in the livewell for the weigh in i need to stop??  I cant Cull?  IDK, i think there is mixed opinions on this, and im sure you could get variance in answers from different CO's.

What is the possession limit on bass?

Offline Mr.Vexilar

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 28, 2010, 03:49 PM »
I have no idea...  Most tournies you can only hold 5 fish in the boat anyways, even if fishing with a partner.

Offline solman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • TEAM MICHIGAN
« Reply #18 on: Jan 28, 2010, 03:52 PM »
I don't know I was just going to say if possession is 5 and you have 6. . . well that is where I was going.  I cull at 4 cause I don't wana have a bad day arguing with a fish cop. 

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 28, 2010, 03:55 PM »
I have no idea...  Most tournies you can only hold 5 fish in the boat anyways, even if fishing with a partner.

Tourneys require permits right?? Tournaments may be dif. from non-tourney situations since they are permitted by the agency????? :-\

Anywho, the DNR hands out tickets to those catching an additional Steelie after retaining 3. In order to cull, you must first be a violator and be in possession of 4 right??? May be a clue there to the answer...... just sayin ;)

Offline solman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • TEAM MICHIGAN
« Reply #20 on: Jan 28, 2010, 03:57 PM »
RL gettin jiggy with it  :thumbsup: :afro:

Offline Mr.Vexilar

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 28, 2010, 03:57 PM »
Why would you cull if you're under your limit???  I know dang well that with money on the line, i aint throwin my 5th fish back in the water until i catch a 6th...... Then I will start upgrading.  They all get released in the end anyways.  IDK if tournies have a certain loophole through them or not?? I cant imagine they do?

Anywho, the DNR hands out tickets to those catching an additional Steelie after retaining 3.
 GOOD! ;D

Offline solman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • TEAM MICHIGAN
« Reply #22 on: Jan 28, 2010, 04:02 PM »
If possession is 5 and you posses 6. . .  what the heck was the question.  Who asked it.  I don't know.  Is the a fish lawyer in the house.

Offline 53andout

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Jan 28, 2010, 04:57 PM »
I understand there are many reasons for fishing. However, no matter what your reason for fishing is, when you have a limit in your possession you are done fishing for whatever you have caught. That's not my opinion, that's the law. If you want to keep fishing let the last one go and continue fishing.

53 and out,

You have stereo-typed fishermen here. Seems like you are assuming that everyone fishes for the same reasons you do. But many families fish for food, for canning, smoking and freezing in order to survive a winter. This can be said for many retirees and families in less than fortunate situations, where maybe the occupation did not allow them to retire at 53 :-\

For some a limit is indeed a need. This can be true of some guides and charter boat captains that may depend upon a limit uting to support a biz by developing a great rep. Also, for the meat hunter, not recreational fish hunter, a limit can represent success. It may be how one judges a trip or outing, the benchmark or standard.

So I guess for you fishing may be about more than just a limit, but no way that can apply to all others. I suspect that the longer you remain a shanty member, communicating with others that have diverse opinions, techniques, likes and dislikes the more you will understand this. Not that you will like it or support it, but it is what it is.  :tipup:
Bruster

Offline dgb

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Gill Time!
« Reply #24 on: Jan 28, 2010, 05:01 PM »
Like vex says most bass tourney's are partner and 5 fish limit. But there are alot of tournies around you can fish by yourself also with 5 fish limits........if true there are alot of guy's breaking the law when they have 5 in the live well and countine to fish and cull! Curious to know the correct answer on that one!

Offline carver1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Jan 28, 2010, 05:02 PM »
Here is something for you to chew on, this is a true story witnessed by myself and 2 others... I took my boat a few years back to a back bay on the D-river to ice fish it... 3 of us got 50 perch each ( we kept 49 each to play safe) and we all had our own respective limits in our buckets...... We arrived back to Lake Erie Metro and there was a younger cocky DNR officer at the launch. He was searching everyone's catches/buckets, etc...... He came to use and dumped out our buckets and counted our fish.... he told us " OK you are good", he then said "however you guys are lucky you have your limits in seperate buckets".... I asked why and he said and I quote " If you had all these in 1 bucket I would charge you the boat owner for being over your limit, I have no idea who caught what. If you cannot mark your fish I will credit you with having caught all.... I then said so if I am walleye fishing with 2 other guys I need to have 3 coolers in my boat to seperate??? He said YES you do unless you have them tagged identifing who caught what.... Not sure if he was just a hard butt, unknowledged, plan out mean..... Just something to think about while out there

Offline mbrooks

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If it swims I want to catch it
« Reply #26 on: Jan 28, 2010, 05:06 PM »
It's the same with duck hunting. If they wanted to be jerks about it you have to have your game tagged before the boat is motored back. They consider that transportation of game and can issue tickets. It's usually the Feds that get that picky trying to fill there quota of tickets for the day i guess. BTW how do you tag a fish?
[IMG]

Offline 53andout

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Jan 28, 2010, 05:15 PM »
Only an assumption here, based on the tornoument entry forms I have seen; "all state regulations will apply". It's normally about number 2 on the application rules.

Like vex says most bass tourney's are partner and 5 fish limit. But there are alot of tournies around you can fish by yourself also with 5 fish limits........if true there are alot of guy's breaking the law when they have 5 in the live well and countine to fish and cull! Curious to know the correct answer on that one!
Bruster

Offline carver1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Jan 28, 2010, 08:02 PM »
Icalled the poaching # on my licenses.... was told by the lady after she called me back that once you get a limit of walleye/bass u cannot fish for walleye/bass anymore.... she could not answer me about tourny fishing about up grading ur limit.... so i got 1/2 the battle answered but still wondering about the tourny rule???

Offline TheFishWisperer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Jan 28, 2010, 08:08 PM »
As far as the cocky DNR officer it is called failure to keep catch separate. I adhere to this Salmon and  Steelhead fishing by keeping each clients(angler's) catch on a different stringer.
And if asked what Im doing fishing after stringing my limit. I tell them that I am now targeting suckers or trout. What can they say.
There is an unexplained malady buried deep in Angler's Souls; the urge to fish. It is a damned terminal disease for which there is no cure, only lots of treatment!
~Author Unknown

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.