New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: worms / mousies bait in fridge  (Read 3328 times)

Offline Celt6

• Team IceShanty Addict
worms / mousies bait in fridge
« on: Jan 27, 2010, 03:28 PM »
I put waxworms and mousies in my fridge two days ago, very lively, today   most of them are dead? is the fridge too cold? mine is 42.

Offline GoBlue2255

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: worms / mousies bait in fridge
« Reply #1 on: Jan 27, 2010, 03:37 PM »
I have had my mousees for 6 weeks now and have kept them at 40 and have not had any issues.  the waxworms I bought at the same time and have kept them at 50 give or take.   I bought both in bulk and the wax worms were recommended to keep at 50-60 and mousees was 40-50.  If you go to vados or wholesale bait they have good info on keeping bait alive.   Out of 1000 spikes I have not had a dead one yet same as the 500 mousees, the wax worms of 500 I have a handful I had to throw out. 
[IMG]]

Offline crappiekid

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 27, 2010, 04:26 PM »
Keep the spikes in airtight container in fridge.  Kept Waxies in container with air  holes in on floor in unheated basement.Kept em for many months.  still had some left for spring fishing.

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #3 on: Jan 27, 2010, 05:00 PM »
Make sure there is an air hole in your container.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Jan 27, 2010, 05:07 PM »
You may have either froze them or had them to warm for to long before you put them in the fridge..
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline cnyfisherman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 27, 2010, 05:11 PM »
I bought 9000 wax worms at the start of the season and they are doing fine it is recommended to keep them at 55 degrees
"catch em all let god sort em out"

Offline dav

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • dav, no better time to wet your line.
« Reply #6 on: Jan 27, 2010, 05:49 PM »
I'm not sure what my fridge temp is, but I keep mousies and spikes in there and they seem to last quite some time, well atleast long enough for me to use them up for the next 50 - 100>>>> LOL 

:icefish:

hehehe

dav
FIND PEACE, LOSE YOURSELF IN NATURE....

Offline silvercreeker

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 27, 2010, 08:41 PM »
I keep my mousies in my beer fridge (50 degrees) with no problems.
The Greenhornet's caught more fish then you've lied about, Gustafson!

Offline Celt6

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 28, 2010, 07:36 AM »
You have a beer fridge? right next to the humidor right? gotta work on my man cave...

Offline fishermantim4

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 28, 2010, 07:49 AM »
your beer fridge is warm.

ive kept my wax worms in the basement on the floor mousies and spike go in the fridge. 
WINDOW FISH!!!!!

Offline fishhead4268

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • LOVE THEM SLABS!!!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 28, 2010, 07:56 AM »
I keep my spikes in the mud room where the temps are around40 or so and I keep all my wax worms in a tupperware tub uncoverd on my computor desk, they all are doing good and last!!  They say you should keep the waxies uncoverd and out of the fridge to get them to last a longer time, it works!!
I FISH, THEREFORE I AM, IN SEARCH OF THE HEDI MOGIN !!!!HAVE ROD WILL TRAVEL!!!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v237/Fishhead4268/IceShanty_Banner21.png

Offline deebsey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 28, 2010, 10:16 AM »
I keep my mousies in my beer fridge (50 degrees) with no problems.

50 degrees is too warm for beer.....Gotta be ice cold 38 degrees is what mine is set at.  I keep all my bait in pucks in a small soft sided cooler in there and never had a problem.  Now watch they will all be dead tonight.
;

Offline PUNISHER

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I can't even catch a cold while ice fishing.
« Reply #12 on: Jan 28, 2010, 12:23 PM »
Put the bait on the top shelf of the door in the fridge.
That will be the warmest spot in your fridge.
Heat rises, and whenever you open the door they get a break from the cool air in the fridge.
Insulation is also the thinest around the door seal.

Offline Gamma Fish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 28, 2010, 07:34 PM »
Put the bait on the top shelf of the door in the fridge.
That will be the warmest spot in your fridge.
Heat rises, and whenever you open the door they get a break from the cool air in the fridge.
Insulation is also the thinest around the door seal.
Just the opposite is true for spikes and mousee's.    Consistent temperatures between 36 and 39 degrees is where these larva stay dormant !    Anything above that and they become active.  When they get active, they return to their normal cycles and their life process begins.   They also let off an iodine smelling moisture that protects them during this cycle.   That moisture, along with warmer temps in your fridge will kill spikes and mousse's.     
  Containers should be able to breathe.   Many small holes poked in the top or a well sealed cardboard box will work.   The cardboard actually pulls moisture away from the sawdust but you need to make sure the bottom of the box is sealed tightly as spikes will burro into every crease and escape.
   Keep your sawdust dry by rotating it on occasion.      Put it in a flat tray and let it air dry over night if you don't have a good source for saw dust.   Also, don't use and saw dust that came from pressure treated woods of any kind.   The chemicals will kill your bait.     White pine or ash works best.   
  So, once you have the system down, keep your spike containers in the bottom shelf in the back of the fridge !
This works well for "Bulk Spikes/mousee's"
  If you're buying packs of 100, just buy more from your local bait shop when they die ! ;D

Wax worms survive the longest in temps between 45 to 60 degrees in a vented container.       
PLASTICS ARE FANTASTIC  !!

Offline [email protected]

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 29, 2010, 09:15 PM »
I had some spikes that I shoved in the back of the fridge so my wife wouldn't see them and they were all dead in 2 days.Then I found out that it's too cold back there and put a container on the door and two weeks later they are still lively as can be.  I don't know if it works for mousies but it does for spikes. Hope that helps.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.