Author Topic: What do you wear on your feet?  (Read 11589 times)

Offline gaddabout

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Can't catch um-hunt um!
Re: What do you wear on your feet?
« Reply #30 on: Jan 26, 2010, 06:42 PM »
I wear Rocky's 1200 grams thinsulate, no problems. I retired a old old pair of mickey mouse black boots after about 40 yrs of use. If you have serious problems with cold feet, I would buy a pair of mickey mouses military issue no steel shanks. THose things are heavy tho....
Fishy Fishy In da Brook,Come Bite On Grandpa's Hook!

Gaddabout is my nickname, No affiliation with the newspaper.

Offline Hoosier

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Bucket,some bait and,,what did she ask me to do??
« Reply #31 on: Jan 26, 2010, 06:47 PM »
I have the White Mickey Mouse boots -60 degree boots. I wear regular cotton sock with them feet dont get cold.as far as the sweating factor,sure feet sweat a bit but , These boots will keep your feet warm no matter how wet your feet are,and if its bad enought ya just cant take the wet, popem off and dry the cotton socks on heater,dont take long,if your in ur shanty keep fishin while socks dry.Again,,boots are so warm no matter your feet wet or not they still wont get cold.Cant see havin another pair

Offline Shadrap

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Jan 26, 2010, 07:16 PM »
White Mickey's.  Second pair bought three years ago.  First pair wore for about 15 years but my feet over time seem to have flattened out some and I was having a hard time getting them on and off so had to go with a bit larger size.  No feeling in my feet so i wear the Cabelas mereno wool wader socks with them.  Yes they are heavy but I've got black n blue feet with the rest I've tried.  Liked the looks of the Cabelas Trans Alask but had trouble sliding my foot into the long neck of them.

Offline teardrop

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Jan 26, 2010, 08:16 PM »
My lacrosse Icemans were a christmas present from my dad in 1987, I think.  My feet have never been cold while icefishing or treestand deer hunting.  Dad hooked me up with the best at the time and I am still wearing them. In 1987 the choices were fewer than now, but like in all outdoor sports you generally get what you pay for. Buy the best you can afford there are many choices now   Teardrop   

Offline IceJunkie0602

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Jan 27, 2010, 05:13 AM »
Great post guys and thanks for the input.  I think i am going to try out the infamous mickey mouse boots.  I know they are not the lightest boot, but at this point I am not looking for comfort.  I might of been buying my boots a little on the small side,  and not leaving enough room for my wool socks.  So I'll let you guys know how they work for me. 

Thanks ;D

Offline Hoosier

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Bucket,some bait and,,what did she ask me to do??
« Reply #35 on: Jan 27, 2010, 06:59 AM »
Just make sure you try some mickeys on first,,i wear a 12/13 and a 10 in mickeys was the good fit.

Offline switch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Jan 27, 2010, 07:19 AM »
I have black military issue mickeys.  I think that being a size or so oversize is important.  I don't lace mine real tight so they breath good with my ice suit coming down over the top of them.  If it is really cold out I can lace them tighter.

Offline popnfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Jan 27, 2010, 07:27 AM »
I wear the Black Mickey Mouse Boots, think these are my 2nd set and ready to be replaced or repatched with Goop

Offline IceJunkie0602

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Jan 27, 2010, 08:42 AM »
how much of a bigger size do you think I should get?

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #39 on: Jan 27, 2010, 08:46 AM »
Great post guys and thanks for the input.  I think i am going to try out the infamous mickey mouse boots.  I know they are not the lightest boot, but at this point I am not looking for comfort.  I might of been buying my boots a little on the small side,  and not leaving enough room for my wool socks.  So I'll let you guys know how they work for me. 

Thanks ;D
You can buy some mickeys for the warm days. But if you want some real boots buy baffen imacts. If you want to see them come to stone lake sat.
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline John_H

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Jan 27, 2010, 08:51 AM »
I wear Lacrosse ice king pack boots and love them had them for over 10 years now and still loving them, i have never had a cold foot ever sense i bought them .  I only need to wear one pair of socks too.
http://www.lacrossefootwear.com

Offline FishDaddy09

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Jan 27, 2010, 09:16 AM »
I wear the white mickey's and always wear a liner sock with a heavyer sock. I wear size 9 shoe, but I have wide feet, so I got 9 ex wide mickey's. They are easy to get on and off and they always keep my feet warm. I bought a replacement pair on ebay last year that I haven't worn yet. Ebay had the best price that I could find. just make sure you only buy the real thing there are cheap copies out there that are junk! You want the ones made by the "BATA" boot company.
There is nothing in the world I'd rather do than ice fish!

Offline Flattop

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #42 on: Jan 27, 2010, 09:19 AM »
Polypropylene under socks and woolies over.  Rocky insulated boots with Lacrosse studded overshoes.
In life "The day you quit learning, better be the day you quit"
"I learn something new every day, even if it's how not to do something"

Offline wrightap

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Jan 27, 2010, 09:44 AM »
 Muck boots with a pair of regular old socks and im good to go.
Adam

Offline roger46982

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #44 on: Jan 27, 2010, 10:02 AM »
White Mickey Mouse boots, have worn them for years and nothing else comes close.

Offline taggedfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Jan 27, 2010, 04:29 PM »
what is the difference between white and black mickeys?

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Jan 28, 2010, 05:30 AM »
The guys that wear the black mickeys say they are the best. and the guys that wear the white ones say they are the best. Because they have never tried a modern boot. They have been around longer than any other available winter boot, and thus are popular because they are easy to find. They do make better boots! They are harder to locate in the stores, because of price. Most stores will only carry the Mickeys because they are less than $100 and guys still think they need them. I wish I could let everyone see what the difference is in the modern boots. There is really no comparison. I buy boots rated to -148.

Offline roger46982

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #47 on: Jan 28, 2010, 02:00 PM »
And how much is a pair of -148 degree boots? For some of us price is a consideration.

Offline Fish_Tko

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Jan 28, 2010, 02:10 PM »
The guys that wear the black mickeys say they are the best. and the guys that wear the white ones say they are the best. Because they have never tried a modern boot. They have been around longer than any other available winter boot, and thus are popular because they are easy to find. They do make better boots! They are harder to locate in the stores, because of price. Most stores will only carry the Mickeys because they are less than $100 and guys still think they need them. I wish I could let everyone see what the difference is in the modern boots. There is really no comparison.

I buy boots rated to -148.    

You must fish close to the north pole :whistle: to need boots rated for those temps.

All kidding aside they look dandy, but only the bottom is waterproof according to the website and it says it has a winterproof upper. i will assume that means snow can't get in there. Have you ever stepped through the ice along shore up to the middle of your shin and continued fishing the rest of the day? I have black mickeys and i am not going to say they are the best thing on the market but at least if your foot gets wet you can fish the rest of the day and have warm feet.
There is only one theory about angling in which I have perfect confidence, and this is that the two words, least appropriate to any statement, about it, are the words "always" and "never."

Offline bluegillpeffley

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Jan 28, 2010, 02:14 PM »
Black Mickeys!!!!  if its not broken dont fix it.  they keep you warm with even a pair of tube socks and there is no worry about gettin your toes wet!!!!

Offline Retired-UAW

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Personal Best 7 lbs even
« Reply #50 on: Jan 28, 2010, 02:17 PM »
I wear Lacrosse ice king pack boots and love them had them for over 10 years now and still loving them, i have never had a cold foot ever sense i bought them .  I only need to wear one pair of socks too.
http://www.lacrossefootwear.com
WOW. I went to the lacrosse web site. :o $170.00 for boots  ::). My Mickey's were $50.00. :P That leaves $120.00 to spend on other things. :clap:
\\\"WORK\\\" is for people who don`t know how to \\\"FISH\\\"

Offline ChapstickCharlie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #51 on: Jan 28, 2010, 02:47 PM »
Another question would be  'How long do you wear your shirts?'

The answer of course is  'to cover my arse'
An honest mans' pillow is his peace of mind.

Offline Jigmup

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Jan 28, 2010, 02:52 PM »
Another question would be  'How long do you wear your shirts?'

The answer of course is  'to cover my arse'

I've been known to dress for ice fishing Thursday night and undress Sunday eve. Will probably happen this weekend. :sick: :cookoo:
Never tell a fish where its supposed to be

Offline troutaddict33

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #53 on: Jan 28, 2010, 03:08 PM »
1000 gram thinsulate boots. They have thick rubber soles to keep you up off the ice too. The only problem is they're sooooo warm that my feet are soaked in sweat by the end of the day.

Offline princecraft

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #54 on: Jan 28, 2010, 04:42 PM »
WOW. I went to the lacrosse web site. :o $170.00 for boots  ::). My Mickey's were $50.00. :P That leaves $120.00 to spend on other things. :clap:
170.00 for Lacrosse ice kings????  Lunkers in Edwardsburg was selling them for 119.00 when they have them.  They are out now.
Fisherman's Prayer
   I pray that I may live to fish
          Until my dying day.
And when it comes to my last cast,
       I then most humbly pray:
When in the Lord's great landing net
           And peacefully asleep,
      That in His mercy I be Judged
              BIG ENOUGH TO KEEP.

Offline Retired-UAW

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Personal Best 7 lbs even
« Reply #55 on: Jan 28, 2010, 05:10 PM »
o.k $70 for GAS ;D
\\\"WORK\\\" is for people who don`t know how to \\\"FISH\\\"

Offline jdenmanfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #56 on: Jan 28, 2010, 09:07 PM »
I won't go without my ROCKY'S.They are the best I have ever owned.They keep my feet alot warmer than the mickey's I used to wear.

Offline Ronbo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • fish hog
« Reply #57 on: Jan 28, 2010, 09:12 PM »
lacrosse ice kings here and love them feet never got cold payed 99.00 for them  15 years ago and still in good shape  :tipup:

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #58 on: Jan 29, 2010, 12:42 PM »
I paid 135 for my Baffen Impacts. Don't need expensive socks to drive the cost up. Don't need foot warmers. Also, I don't have sweaty feet. As far as sticking my foot in the water and then fishing the rest of the day, with my boots I could leave my feet in the water!

Offline roger46982

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #59 on: Jan 29, 2010, 01:00 PM »
I think I will stick with the Mickey's and buy a real nice spinning real with the left over money.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.