Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: License Fee  (Read 6760 times)

Offline DoubleBurg

• Team IceShanty Regular
License Fee
« on: Jan 21, 2010, 12:42 PM »
Quick question.  How much did you pay for you 2010 fishing license?  I paid $19 for mine which I noticed went up $1.50, not a big deal in my books.  But the main thing that got me thinking was I was just reading the regulation book and the Iowa DNR book says that the 2010 fee should be $17.50.  This just seemed weird to me that I got charged $19 but it says it should only be $17.50.
Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.  -Henry David Thoreau

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: License Fee
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21, 2010, 12:49 PM »
$19
EYECONICFISHING

Offline toothfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 21, 2010, 01:09 PM »
$19
There is a 1.50 .... surcharge ... As long as they don't spend it on bike trails I'm happy ... ;)

"Central Iowa Anglers"

Offline Iowa ice

• IceShanty Rookie
  • If the bobbers under set the hook.
« Reply #3 on: Jan 21, 2010, 01:34 PM »
How bout we make bikers pay for their trails? I'm tire of the sportsmen paying for every one else.
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "............Holy crap.............what a ride!"

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Jan 21, 2010, 01:51 PM »
I'm for bike registration. $2 per year would take care of it. We have to register boats to go on the public waters, why shouldn't they have to register bikes to go on public trails?
EYECONICFISHING

Offline DoubleBurg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2010, 02:01 PM »
... As long as they don't spend it on bike trails I'm happy ... ;)

Haha! So I take it you have heard of some of the drama going on around the home-town.
Many go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.  -Henry David Thoreau

Offline toothfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 21, 2010, 02:03 PM »
The way I get it many "trails" have a voluntary pay box .   ;)
I would think "voluntary" is not the best way to collect user fees.   :-\
I pay $30 a year for the privilege of using corp controlled boat ramps.

I have said it before and will say it again.............
 "Never has there been so much tax monies spent on such a small portion of the public as "bike trails"

"Central Iowa Anglers"

Offline toothfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 21, 2010, 02:05 PM »
Haha! So I take it you have heard of some of the drama going on around the home-town.

No I haven't ... what's up .

"Central Iowa Anglers"

Offline DoubleBurg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 21, 2010, 02:13 PM »
They are trying to put up a bike trail around Five Island Lake.  Been nothing but drama for the last year and a half.  But last I heard they are going to try and "raise" the money to build it so it won't be coming from our license fees.  They said it would cost a million just to get a quarter of the way around the lake.

Offline toothfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 21, 2010, 03:18 PM »
Sooo ... all they need is 1,000,000 bi -cyclist to pay $4 each and the trail (ALL the way around the lake) will be paid for !!!!    :woot:

We kind of got off topic here ... but .... The building of a trail is not final expense .... Keeping it mowed and maintained is a yearly expense from then on.
Then there is repaving and new legs connected to the main trail and city connecting trails and  ...................... ............$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

"Central Iowa Anglers"

Offline wilenard

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 21, 2010, 03:22 PM »
$30.00 for a husband and wife license here in Wisconsin otherwise it is $20.00 each. Typically buy the combo license just in case my wife wants to go. After 20 years of marriage she gladly lets me go on my own as long as I bring home quality fish1  ;)
"Success comes before work only in the dictionary"

"No God, no love; Know God, know love!"

Offline flyfishr

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Revenuers don't stand a chance
« Reply #11 on: Jan 21, 2010, 05:45 PM »
Yep the resident 2010 fishing lic went up to $19 the 15th of Dec "09".   Here we go again with the fishing & hunting lic fees going to pay for bike trails.   ::)  This simply is not true.  We had the same thing going around down here (gripping & complaining about using fishing & hunting fees to open the Wabash trace up)when they were getting the Wabash Trace Nature Trail set up.  I can't tell you how many meetings they had about it, but it all centered around informing the people about where the monies were coming from that were going into building the Wabash Trace and how it would affect the landowners along the Trace.  Yes the monies came from the IDNR, but they didn't come from the fishing & hunting revenue that the IDNR took in.   Its been so long ago that they had these meetings I've forgotten (10+ yrs ago) where exactly the the IDNR officials said the designated funds to get these trails up and going come from, but they do not come directly from the revenue generated from fishing & hunting lic.   

Offline jacobh73

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 21, 2010, 06:25 PM »
The real crock of *&%^ is I beleive 4 wheeler and snowmoblie registration is the same price but snowmobiles get ride in more places.

Offline flyfishr

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Revenuers don't stand a chance
« Reply #13 on: Jan 21, 2010, 06:55 PM »
I paid $21.36 in Dec to get my 4 wheeler re-registered for 2010.  And yes you are probably right snowmobiles have access to more places to ride other than private lands.

Offline iceman260

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 21, 2010, 07:04 PM »
You guys are lucky New York went from $19.00 to $29.00, plus $10.00 for tidal water lisence on top of that.
If fishing is a sport are we considered athletes?

Offline DoubleBurg

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 21, 2010, 08:19 PM »
You guys are lucky New York went from $19.00 to $29.00, plus $10.00 for tidal water lisence on top of that.

Your right... guess we have nothing to complain about.

On a second question, who pays the most for a residential fishing license?  Just kind of a curiousity question.

Offline J. Rosonke

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 23, 2010, 01:52 AM »
The actuall "License fee"  is the same as it was before $17.00 the "writing fee" is now $2. The increase was done to pay for upgrading the electronic licensing system which was supposed to happen a year or 2 ago. I think it now costs IDNR about $1.29 if I remember correctly per privelege from the company that runs ELSI. (plus the 50 cents the store selling the license gets)

Offline pipelayer75

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 23, 2010, 07:28 AM »
Yep the resident 2010 fishing lic went up to $19 the 15th of Dec "09".   Here we go again with the fishing & hunting lic fees going to pay for bike trails.   ::)  This simply is not true.  We had the same thing going around down here (gripping & complaining about using fishing & hunting fees to open the Wabash trace up)when they were getting the Wabash Trace Nature Trail set up.  I can't tell you how many meetings they had about it, but it all centered around informing the people about where the monies were coming from that were going into building the Wabash Trace and how it would affect the landowners along the Trace.  Yes the monies came from the IDNR, but they didn't come from the fishing & hunting revenue that the IDNR took in.   Its been so long ago that they had these meetings I've forgotten (10+ yrs ago) where exactly the the IDNR officials said the designated funds to get these trails up and going come from, but they do not come directly from the revenue generated from fishing & hunting lic.   

Just curious where the dnr got the funds from?  Considering that the IDNR doesn't generate revenue from these bike trails.  I haven't heard of any tax on the purchase of bikes or related equip to fund this stuff.  Maybe I'm wrong but the only moneys they generate are from hunting and fishing licenses, camping fees, fines and restitution.  Plus what they get from the general fund which probably doesn't cover their expenses.  The books probably got cooked, take money from here put it there til no one could trace it.  My biggest problem with this bike trail, power/plumbed campground stripping of funds is that it spreads thin dollars that are needed to restore, and improve habitat for hunting and fishing.  We have to pay a fishing and hunting license, why shouldn't RV campers have to pay a registration for their vehicles, bicyclists too.  When this happens at least the State will be able to show in accurate figures how much use these bike trails get for the $$$$ we spend.  Go to a lake, any big one especially and count how many people are fishing then go sit by one of the high $$$$$$$$ bike trails and count the people using it.  Good luck trying to justify it then.  I've done it, got a bike/hiking path that goes right by my door at work.  Will maybe see a dozen people on it on a summer day, never seen a kid on it period.  Thats a town of 5k+ bike trails are JOKE!

Offline Perkeyone

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 23, 2010, 08:13 AM »
Quote (why shouldn't RV campers have to pay a registration for their vehicles)     You should do you homework my friend good ole Chester and the boys at the DOT just worked those over also, my RV trailer/camper cost more to license than my truck which is on the road daily.And I do pay a fee to camp at these campgrounds. It is the bicyclist on TV screaming about share the roads and build more trails that need to pony up the cash. Perkeyone                                                  $75 for camper plates and $65 for a 2006 F-150 And that's the "grandfathered"in truck fee open up and say awwwh now to the new truck fees"

Offline toothfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 23, 2010, 08:24 AM »
I have heard this "No lic. fees are used for bike trails" before. Yes it's true there, is no direct connection (and that is the way I want it to stay)  but ....... I have a question.
Does trail maintenance come out of the same fund that is feed by lic fees ?

"Central Iowa Anglers"

Offline glh150

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 23, 2010, 11:26 AM »
This may or may not be a little off topic, but all of us Iowans are gonna have a chance this fall in the general election to make sure the funding for ALL our outdoor activities are supported in the future.

Good reading. http://www.iowapheasantsforever.org/page/1100/Iowa-SustainableFunding.jsp
Hib

Offline pipelayer75

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 23, 2010, 04:13 PM »
Perkey one your reg on your camper currently is for road use, not camping.  I'm talking about a little sticker on your camper like I have on my boat.  I have to license my boat trailer for the road also, hense two registration fees.

Offline J. Rosonke

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 23, 2010, 05:48 PM »
The hunting/fishing license fees go into the fish and wildlife trust and can only be spent (by law) on hunting/fishing things. It is the funding source used by the Fisheries, Wildlife and Law Enforcement Bureaus of the DNR and ONLY those bureaus. forestry, parks and the whole environmental protection side of the DNR have other funding sources.

If Iowa would use license dollars for purposes other than wildlife and fisheries they would risk forfeiting their share of the federal excise taxes we all pay hunting and fishing equipment. Those federal dollars account for nearly half of the budget (with the license fees being the other half).  That's a mighty big incentive to use the money as it's intended. In fact Illinois tried using several million in license fees for something else last year and the Feds made them restore the money or lose the excise tax money. 

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #23 on: Jan 23, 2010, 05:53 PM »
The hunting/fishing license fees go into the fish and wildlife trust and can only be spent (by law) on hunting/fishing things. It is the funding source used by the Fisheries, Wildlife and Law Enforcement Bureaus of the DNR and ONLY those bureaus. forestry, parks and the whole environmental protection side of the DNR have other funding sources.

If Iowa would use license dollars for purposes other than wildlife and fisheries they would risk forfeiting their share of the federal excise taxes we all pay hunting and fishing equipment. Those federal dollars account for nearly half of the budget (with the license fees being the other half).  That's a mighty big incentive to use the money as it's intended. In fact Illinois tried using several million in license fees for something else last year and the Feds made them restore the money or lose the excise tax money. 

Whats your source on this info?
EYECONICFISHING

Offline J. Rosonke

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 23, 2010, 06:05 PM »
Whats your source on this info?

Years of volunteering with the Waterfowl Assn of Iowa and the Iowa Conservation Alliance.

But It is in the Iowa Code somewhere, I can try to find it.

Offline J. Rosonke

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 23, 2010, 06:21 PM »
Iowa Constitution ARTICLE VII.SEC.9 Fish and wildlife protection funds. All revenue derived from state license fees for hunting, fishing, and trapping, and all state funds appropriated for, and federal or private funds received by the state for, the regulation or advancement of hunting , fishing, or trapping, or the protection, propagation, restoration, management, or harvest of fish or wildlife, shall be used exclusively for the performance and administration of activities related to those purposes.
Added 1996, Amendment [44]

http://www.legis.state.ia.us/Constitution.html#a7s9

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #26 on: Jan 23, 2010, 06:27 PM »
Wouldnt bike trails be included as it would be considered a path to the lake?
EYECONICFISHING

Offline J. Rosonke

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 23, 2010, 07:02 PM »
Wouldnt bike trails be included as it would be considered a path to the lake?

IMO
I suppose if you wanted to screw with the intent of the law (passed by the citizens of Iowa as all constitutional ammendments are) it could be done that way but only at great risk to the future employment of whoever makes that judgement.

also IMO
There's no way the Fisheries, Wildlife and Law Enforcement Bureau people would stand for it.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #28 on: Jan 23, 2010, 07:10 PM »
They are already doing it across the state.  ;D
EYECONICFISHING

Offline c.r.rick

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • fishing and hunting ducks and bucks
« Reply #29 on: Jan 23, 2010, 07:42 PM »
hey j. rosonke not to step on your toes but i hunt with a few dnr state officers and they have told me themselves that most state funded trails in state parks come from fishing and hunting fees as well as habitat fees to better the experience for all in the outdoors.  hiking trails, bike trails are counted under law as paths to lakes and other parts of the parks they are in.  and the iowa dnr and park employees maintain the paths and bike trails and they are paid by funds from our fishing license and hunting licenses as well as fines some pay for breaking rules.  what it boils down to is we as fishers and hunters pay for cyclist to have nice trails to ride on and most dont pay a cent to have them.  thats why we sportsmen are up in arms on the subject. 
early to bed early to rise fish like h.e.l.l. and think up lies.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.