Author Topic: Rice Lake  (Read 2266 times)

Offline acrawfor

• Team IceShanty Addict
Rice Lake
« on: Jan 19, 2010, 02:23 PM »
Anyone know where the fish are in Rice Lake. Its all fairly shallow so I just went straight out from the launch into about 5 feet of water. Didn't get a single flag or hit in 3 hours. Any ideas?

Offline Prehnite44

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Rice Lake
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19, 2010, 03:09 PM »
Anyone know where the fish are in Rice Lake. Its all fairly shallow so I just went straight out from the launch into about 5 feet of water. Didn't get a single flag or hit in 3 hours. Any ideas?

Fish are pretty much everywhere in the lake, but you're likely only to find smaller pike (~15" on average) in less than 5 feet of water through the ice. There are bigger pike shallow sometimes under the ice, but usually I don't fish that shallow unless it is first ice. Try to find places that are around 7-9 feet deep with weedy bottoms for bigger pike and walleye (and small perch). Go right from the launch until you get deep enough. Fished it yesterday with a few small pike and walleye, and one keeper sized pike. There are probably other places too, but that place is the closest to walk to from the launch.

Offline acrawfor

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 19, 2010, 03:30 PM »
Thanks for the info. I'll probly try it again sometime here soon. I seen in the fishing reg. guide that there is no size limit on pike in that lake (not that the small ones are usually worth the hastle anyways), but would be nice to catch something.

I was out there yesterday too, almost till dark. Were you with the group of people fishing off the point by chance?

Offline Prehnite44

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 19, 2010, 04:27 PM »
Thanks for the info. I'll probly try it again sometime here soon. I seen in the fishing reg. guide that there is no size limit on pike in that lake (not that the small ones are usually worth the hastle anyways), but would be nice to catch something.

I was out there yesterday too, almost till dark. Were you with the group of people fishing off the point by chance?

No, not with that group of people, but part of the trio near that group of people around the point a little ways (although maybe out of view). If you just want to catch something, throw a sweedish pimple with a medium fathead on a jigging rod and give it some action in 5 feet of water. Sure to catch some pike, although usually small ones.

Offline acrawfor

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 19, 2010, 06:39 PM »
Thought I seen some more people around that side (someone was wearing an orange hat I think). I'll give it a try another day perhaps. Have the Winter Carnival tourney coming up in Chassel and I want to get a bit of practice in first there over the next week or so if possible.

Offline ssmiodon

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2010, 05:02 PM »
Im heading out there saturday for hopefully some walleye and panfish, just looking for some advise on what how to fish for the walleye?
Its my first time icefishing for walleye so any help is appreciated.     thanks, steve

Offline BiG ARN

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 21, 2010, 06:07 PM »
all kinds of techniques for walleyes    i prefer jiggin raps that glow    or a glow forage minnow with a medium minnow hooked by the tail a foot or 2 off the bottom.   walleye are some sensitive fish  the less noise you make the more you will have come under you.   presentation is the key

Offline ssmiodon

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 23, 2010, 04:54 PM »
Made it out today for about 4 and a half hours with only 3 pike, and only one made 24inchs. Fished in 9 fow and didnt see anything on the underwater camera except the ones we cought. Probably gonna give otter lake a shot tommorrow.

Offline acrawfor

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 23, 2010, 06:00 PM »
I was thinking the same thing about Otter. Got skunked again on Chassel again today.

Offline acrawfor

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 30, 2010, 06:09 PM »
Might do some fishing here tomorrow. Anyone know if the pike or anything else is biting out here? Thanks.

Offline natorious

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 30, 2010, 08:42 PM »
I have fished Rice Lake alot in the summer time and it isn't every day you catch a 24incher out of this lake.  LOTS of 18-20 inchers, but they really level out around that size.

Offline natorious

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 30, 2010, 08:45 PM »
...as for walleye I wish I knew.  I only caught 1 keeper this summer.  Granted most of my fishing was during mid-day.

Offline bigmike7272

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 31, 2010, 02:42 PM »
didn't they used to have some fishing tourneys on rice lake? one in the summer and one in the winter or something like that

Tell me and I'll forget. Show me and I'll remember some of it. Involve me and I will have lifetime knowledge.

-Anomymous

Offline natorious

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 31, 2010, 06:54 PM »
I have fished the summer tourney out on Rice Lake.  I've also heard of an ice-tourney, however I think it has been sometime since they have had it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.