Author Topic: Winni Ice Is UNSAFE!!!!!!  (Read 2627 times)

Offline YOAdrien

• Team IceShanty Addict
Winni Ice Is UNSAFE!!!!!!
« on: Jan 16, 2010, 08:38 PM »
I did a lot of traveling around the lake today and found conditions ranging from 15 inches of ice down to 1/2 inch, YES ONE HALF OF AN INCH!!!!

There is an enormous area of water with only 1/2 inch between long island and steamboat island.DO NOT GO PAST 6 MILE ISLAND TOWARDS THE BROADS YOU WILL DIE!! with the snow coming tomorrow it is going to hide a lot of BIG pressure cracks some as much as 12 feet wide, don't cross anything suspicious without checking first.

How do i know there is a half inch of ice, I grabbed a small rock from steamboat island walked out to the edge and threw the rock, it went right through.

The lake goes from 7 inches to 1/2 inch on a perfect line.

I went inside steamboat towards the forty islands and found plenty of ice again, but when i tried to walk out from there across the northenr broads towards sandy there was 4 inches of spongy ice not whit or black but a milky weak mix of ice snow and air, it was not strong.

Now here is the kicker, the broads off ellacoya have 5 -6 inches of good black ice out very very far and there are bob houses a haf mile from shore on the broads. Just because it is good there it is not safe other places.

Be so careful out there please.

Have someone walk ahead with a chisel and the others far behind with a rope if you venture towards the broads and with the mild temps this coming week we have a very dangerous scenario.

People are going to see bobhouses on the broads and just snowmobile out there thinking it is safe, it's not.
PROUD SPONSOR OF ICESHANTY.COM

Offline slip_knot

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Winni Ice Is UNSAFE!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2010, 09:05 PM »
Thanks for checking the ice and putting that warning up. You probably just saved a life.

Congrats on todays fish and the fine response you got from the dad too. That's awesome.

Skittles and I are hitting Winni tomorrow morning. Have fun on Crystal.
I am human. I am a predator. Don't ask me why I'm staring down a hole, waiting for a fish to bite. Its instinctive and I refuse to fight it.

Offline thefinlessbrown2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • fulfilling dreams in good company
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2010, 09:08 PM »
THANKS ADRIEN !!!!!!
 THATS SOME SOUND ADVICE RIGHT !!!!!!!!!

Offline Thumber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Sunset on Merrymeeting Lake 3/18/09
« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2010, 09:17 PM »
January 15, 2010

USE EXTREME CAUTION ON THE ICE

CONCORD, N.H. – Winter recreational activities are in full swing, but anglers, skiers and snowmobilers are being urged to use extreme caution when going out onto ice-covered waterbodies, New Hampshire Fish and Game officials warned today. Windy conditions at the outset of the season’s cold weather, and uneven temperatures since, may have affected ice formation and has left open water in some areas typically frozen over by this point in the winter.

“Parts of the big lakes aren’t completely frozen yet, and we’re seeing some waterbodies with areas of open water where people might not expect to find it,” said Col. Martin Garabedian. “The bottom line is that people need to use extreme caution on the ice, and be highly aware of local conditions before snowmobiling -- especially at night -- or doing any winter sports on the ice.”

One example of the unusual and potentially dangerous ice conditions is Webster Lake in Franklin, which still has open water near the Sucker Brook inlet and spans quite a distance out into the middle of the lake. These unusual conditions haven’t been seen on the lake in at least twenty years at this point in the season. It is believed that the current of the brook and the high amount of wind are the reasons the water remains open. Even after the lake does freeze, that particular area will need to be used with extreme caution.

Be sure to assess ice safety before you go out by using an ice chisel or axe to chop a hole in the ice to determine its thickness and condition. Continue to do this as you get further out on to the ice, because the thickness of the ice will not be uniform all over the waterbody.

Though all ice is potentially dangerous, the Cold Region Research Laboratory in Hanover, N.H., offers a "rule of thumb" on ice thickness: There should be a minimum of six inches of hard ice before individual foot travel, and eight to ten inches of hard ice for snow machine or ATV (All Terrain Vehicle) travel. Keep in mind that it is possible for ice to be thick, but not strong, because of varying weather conditions. Weak ice is formed when warming trends break down ice, then the slushy surface re-freezes. Be especially careful of areas with current, such as inlets, outlets and spring holes, where the ice can be dangerously thin.

Tips for staying safe on the ice include:

* Stay off the ice along the shoreline if it is cracked or squishy. Don’t go on the ice during thaws.

* Watch out for thin, clear or honeycombed ice. Dark snow and ice may also indicate weak spots.

* Small bodies of water tend to freeze thicker. Rivers and lakes are more prone to wind, currents and wave action that weaken ice.

* Don’t gather in large groups on the ice.

* Don’t drive large vehicles onto the ice.

* If you do break through the ice, don’t panic. Move or swim back to where you fell in, where you know the ice was solid. Lay both arms on the unbroken ice and kick hard. This will help lift your body onto the ice. A set of ice picks can aid you in a self-rescue (wear them around your neck or put them in an easily accessible pocket). Once out of the water, roll away from the hole until you reach solid ice.

Ice safety should be paramount for anyone recreating on New Hampshire’s lakes and ponds. Don't assume ice is safe just because it's there.

To download a brochure from Fish and Game called "Safety on Ice," visit http://www.wildnh.com.
Hosted New England Outdoors New Hampshire Fishing Show 1989 to 1994.

Offline huntr-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2010, 09:40 PM »
On our way back from KTP we watched two fourwheelers go across the broads ! We waited and watched for one or both to go through. They were still going when  we left. SCARY STUFF !!!!!!!!!!!
There must be a twelve step program for this

Offline pirkaus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Is it safe? You go first.
« Reply #5 on: Jan 17, 2010, 05:08 AM »
Scary stuff, thanks for the heads up
Unfortunately you can count on someone going through
And the excuse will be they didn't know
Pirk
It's hard for us turkeys to work.....                                    while dodging S#!* from soaring eagles

Offline LOLDave

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 17, 2010, 06:09 AM »
Nice of you to share that information with everyone Adrien, Unfortunatly we all know some fool will do like you said (see bobhouses and think its safe) and blow through there with a wheeler or snowmachine. Here's hoping no one is foolish enough to do that without taking the necessary precautions. Take Care God Bless LOL Dave

Offline Riverat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Our Winter Home on the Lake.
« Reply #7 on: Jan 17, 2010, 07:02 AM »
I hope you don't mind Adrien but I copied the text of your post and posted it on www.Winnipesaukee.com  Forum because it is read by many area residents and fishermen and thought they needed to know this info. Thanks

Offline lavaman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 17, 2010, 07:04 AM »
thanks for heads up adrian. your important findings will hopefully keep people safe. good work.

Offline Zorros shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fish N.E. >)))>
« Reply #9 on: Jan 17, 2010, 07:34 AM »
I was not sure to if the broads were safe even though I don't fish there. But that ice should thicken this week.

Offline stompa13i

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 17, 2010, 08:39 AM »
I've looked on half a dozen different maps....what exactly is the area that everybody calls "the broads"?  After looking on my paper maps I even checked google for "the broads"...and of course the first thing that came up was a website for live girls on webcams...
TP

Offline luvtrout

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 17, 2010, 09:13 AM »
The broads are the widest deepest part of the lake (the middle I guess).

Offline LOLDave

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 17, 2010, 10:02 AM »
If your looking at Rattlesnake Island, and it is on your right the broads is that big huge open space of water to your left of the island and it goes quite aways, When the wind is blowing this is where you see some of the biggest waves on Winni. Or another way to explain it is if you are heading back towards 5 or 6 mile island and rattlesnake is on your left, that big stretch of open water is what is known as the broads. Take Care God Bless LOL Dave

Offline NH Fishin Fool

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 17, 2010, 12:54 PM »
F&G is right about Webster, just got home from there and there is still open water. A Wheeler and a snowmobile have gone through in the last week. Where I was today off the back beach there was 8-10 inches of ice, but about 100 yards away there was a crack that went out to the open water.

There was a minivan out there doing donuts and snowmobilers skimming. Yet a neighbor called F&G and told them me, my friends and our kids were playing on "thin ice".

The C.O. was nice and just checked to make sure all was good. Nice woman, never seen her around before.

As for the fishing, it was pretty bad with just a couple of dink perch to show for the day.

Offline thefinlessbrown2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • fulfilling dreams in good company
« Reply #14 on: Jan 17, 2010, 04:25 PM »
i beleive the broads are straight out from wolfboro bay and to the right if i remember right ....its 1 windy nasty deep place to fish !!

Offline Thumber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 17, 2010, 04:35 PM »
The Broads, from Welch & Sandy Island to Diamond & Rattlesnake, you can find depths to 180 feet

Offline huntr-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 17, 2010, 04:42 PM »
When your driving from Gilford towards Aton the first pull off area for viewing is a great place to see the broads.
There must be a twelve step program for this

Offline jibbs

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • C:\Documents and Settings\jgirard\My Documents\My
« Reply #17 on: Jan 17, 2010, 04:46 PM »
they can sink a boat......the worst spot on the whole lake is the area coming out of winter harbor....with the wind blowing and the weekend chop.....its something......
when chuck norris played golf for money, chuck marked down a hole in zero every time, the golf pro said, "chuck: you can't score zero on a hole." Chuck norris turned towards the man and said, "I'm chuck norris, the man proceeded to pour gas over his body and set himself on fire because that would be less painful than getting roundhouse kicked by chuck norris....chuck norris roundhouse kicked him in the face anyways

Offline rockhound57

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 17, 2010, 05:13 PM »
they can sink a boat......the worst spot on the whole lake is the area coming out of winter harbor....with the wind blowing and the weekend chop.....its something......
Last year when we fished the derby out there, we had to keep drilling holes to get around the iceburgs pushed under the surface ice, some of which still moved :o
      live free or die in NH, fish western ME

Offline stompa13i

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 17, 2010, 05:17 PM »
that's the best picture of winni i've seen yet rockhound!!!!!

I was out off ellacoya for just a few hours this afternoon and there were people all over that "broad" area it looked like!  tough to tell really with the snow starting to come in....hope they weren't as far out as it looked like!

ps....caught nothin'
TP

Offline kgupats

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 17, 2010, 05:40 PM »
I fished winnisquam lake over the week end the same thing there like winni we went from 8 inches of blown in ice to 6 inches of black right to 1.5 inches of ice know with the snow I m worried that some one will go over the line that they cant see because of the snow.  Be careful out there and be safe

Offline ovidgsd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 17, 2010, 08:23 PM »
YOAdrien - thanks for the report - hope all will read this report and stay safe.

Can anyone report the ice conditions in the gap between Belknap Point and Welch Island?

thx!
If that dog sets off one more flag............!

Offline ishoot308

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 17, 2010, 08:38 PM »
Belknap point has 8-9" inches of ice in front of it, ATV's and Bob Houses there as well.  I do not think I would venture directly to Welch from Belknap point just yet. Varying ice conditions in that area are clearly visible and in my opinion not quite safe yet. Ice around Lockes Island is also in the 8-9" range.

Be safe;

Dan

Offline ovidgsd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 17, 2010, 08:53 PM »
BIG help! thx!  :tipup:
If that dog sets off one more flag............!

Offline Thumber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 17, 2010, 08:58 PM »

Offline rockhound57

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Jan 17, 2010, 09:37 PM »
that's the best picture of winni i've seen yet rockhound!!!!!

I just printed the google map screen that gave the right detail, added my notes and uploaded ;)
      live free or die in NH, fish western ME

Offline NH Trout Fisherman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 18, 2010, 04:46 PM »
I thought I'd Bump this post back to the top.... I've noticed a few out of staters/new guys asking on the conditions up here...

With 8-12" of new snow on the Broads, the already thin conditions will become alot less noticeable....

Just a reminder.....USE EXTREME CAUTION OUT ON THE BROADS!!!!

Offline winnisquam guy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Jan 18, 2010, 06:07 PM »
Thanks for checking the ice and putting that warning up. You probably just saved a life.

Congrats on todays fish and the fine response you got from the dad too. That's awesome.

Skittles and I are hitting Winni tomorrow morning. Have fun on Crystal.
hey man, my house  is out now at the north end , call or get back to me if you want to give this area a try, since i have had it out (sat), caught 3 lakers, pickeral, 2 yellow perch,1 white perch and a salmon. lakers were bigger and fatter overall compared to other years on winnisquam. white perch was big, 15 incher.  Scott

Offline stompa13i

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Jan 18, 2010, 06:47 PM »
I was out on the new winni snow all day today.  We were set up about 150-200 yds off the shore about half way between Ellacoya and Diamond Island.  Snowmobiles were screaming by all day in both directions - some of them out pretty far too.  Hope they know what they were doing - once the sun came out for a couple hours this afternoon, the snow out over the broads definitely had a darker tint to it!!!

We had 7-8 inches of ice over a dozen different holes.
TP

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.