Author Topic: Keeping ice sled from blowing away?  (Read 10251 times)

Offline nefarious

• IceShanty Rookie
Keeping ice sled from blowing away?
« on: Jan 14, 2010, 08:03 PM »
Any tips on keeping your sled from blowing away in the wind?  I have a plastic otter sled and it doesn't always stay in place.  I was thinking of getting some stakes and hammering them in with the tow rope attached...

Offline mk_bovee

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Keeping ice sled from blowing away?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2010, 10:46 PM »
try screwing in a shanty anchor to attach your sled to.   thats what i do when its really windy.    two for the shanty, and one each for the sleds.........
dont take life too seriously, you'll never get out of it alive                                            team broke azz

Offline MarkC

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 15, 2010, 11:30 AM »
Use a short piece of rope tied on the end in a loop and the other end tied to your sled and anchor it to the ice with a long 3" screw and washer using a cordless drill.

Offline nefarious

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 15, 2010, 05:22 PM »
yea, kinda figured i'd have to anchor it to the ice somehow.  something for me to think about.  it's been a problem and i've grown tired of sitting on a bucket in the sled to keep it from moving on windy days.

Offline fiesty

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 15, 2010, 06:42 PM »
we usually fill the jet sled with fish....seems to stay put....
It's all about Karma.....

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #5 on: Jan 16, 2010, 06:23 AM »
My auger is usually in the sled with other stuff...keeps it from blowing away.

I also just leave it on the wind side and right up next to the portable...use is as a little wind block to keep the shelter skirt from flapping...to lazy to snow bank it.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
« Reply #6 on: Jan 16, 2010, 06:56 PM »
If there is snow, you could make an anchor.

use a six foot rope tied to a canvas bag.

when you get to where you want to fish,  fill the bag with enough snow to keep the sled in place.

If there is no snow, then I would use ice anchors.   They go in much easier with a cordless drill and the adapter from Clam corp.

Wiener

Offline Got2fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • In training by lives2fish...
« Reply #7 on: Jan 17, 2010, 10:01 AM »
If there is snow, you could make an anchor.

use a six foot rope tied to a canvas bag.

when you get to where you want to fish,  fill the bag with enough snow to keep the sled in place.

If there is no snow, then I would use ice anchors.   They go in much easier with a cordless drill and the adapter from Clam corp.

Wiener
The bag is good idea, the n you can just dump it out when you leave, I like it.

If you don't have a drill to bring, we always save our old window weights when we replace with new ones, you could use one tied to a rope on windy days, just toss it on the ice and you are good to go. Also have used them in the summer in canoes, their small enough to pack in a sled and heavy enough to keep it where u put it.

Offline ravinerat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 18, 2010, 06:51 AM »
Lots of different anchor systems to use. I use an Ice climbing Screw.

RR
Be safe, Float!

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #9 on: Jan 18, 2010, 06:55 AM »
Any tips on keeping your sled from blowing away in the wind?  I have a plastic otter sled and it doesn't always stay in place.  I was thinking of getting some stakes and hammering them in with the tow rope attached...

Search "anchor", you'll find a lot of information...

Would you be a mamber of Black Rock F&G Club?
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline hook_set

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 20, 2010, 04:04 PM »
my 5 gal. bait bucket filled with shiners and water works

surflizard

« Reply #11 on: Feb 04, 2010, 04:24 AM »
 I use Timberlok screws, the cutter points on the tips zip right in easily. the head on the timber lok has a built in washer.Easy in,Easy out!! reminds me of a girl I used to know ;D

Offline Grumpyoldman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 04, 2010, 04:48 AM »
Ice anchor.

Offline baginwal

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 04, 2010, 11:14 AM »
Clam Ice anchors really work nice.  You secure one piece to your sled, the other slips over the ice screw and then you just clip both pieces together. 

Sled is going nowhere! :)
No Politics............Ju st Fish!

Offline IcePirate6

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Flaggg!!!
« Reply #14 on: Feb 17, 2010, 10:37 AM »
Kittery Trading post had some ice screws on sale for real cheap... the good ones that the climbers use too.. cut into the ice like butter

Offline jiml

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Feb 18, 2010, 11:44 AM »
You could fill it to the rim with cases of beer!
"Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves."
Ronald Reagan

Offline pirkaus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Is it safe? You go first.
« Reply #16 on: Feb 20, 2010, 02:50 AM »
I use Timberlok screws, the cutter points on the tips zip right in easily. the head on the timber lok has a built in washer.Easy in,Easy out!!

Did you need to modify them by cutting a slot in the threads or do they work as is?
Pirk
It's hard for us turkeys to work.....                                    while dodging S#!* from soaring eagles

surflizard

« Reply #17 on: Feb 20, 2010, 05:50 PM »
Hey Pirk, hows it going ? I used the timberlocks right out of the box, I did find some fender washer and I don't have to worry about the rope slipping
off the heads of the screws ;D

Offline digger953

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • build a bridge an float under it
« Reply #18 on: Feb 26, 2010, 04:08 AM »
anchor my shanty then use a cabriier to clip it fast to shanty rope dont go nowere

Offline Bout-Time

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Mar 04, 2010, 12:01 PM »
Carabiner or dog clip onto the shack tie down ropes works great. (I do this to my 6 gal bucket seat too)

If my Jiffy is sitting on the ice, I just throw the sled rope over the auger handle sometimes too.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau

Offline Superpole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Mar 04, 2010, 12:07 PM »
Start drilling a hole and stop half way, leaving auger in the ice, put the sled rope over auger. 

Offline walleye tattoo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Wisconsin chapter
« Reply #21 on: Mar 04, 2010, 08:29 PM »
Superpole been there done that,works.

Live to fish forced to work

Offline MBrown4

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • There's a buggy whip!
« Reply #22 on: Oct 17, 2010, 01:09 AM »
on some of my windy days ill drill a hole above my shanty facing into the wind, turn my shanty sideways, and bust out my ice anchor.its a piece of rope ties to a piece of pvc pipe about 10 inches.slip it straight down the hole and turn it sideways.tie it to my sled handle.works perfect and keeps me from carrying more weight

Offline Get Hooked

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Oct 24, 2010, 03:08 PM »
Pile up some ice shavings/shush over the end of the sleds rope. It will freeze it in place. A couple kicks with the boot and its free.
Get your nets wet. Big fish dont get landed by hand ya know...cept bass

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #24 on: Oct 24, 2010, 03:14 PM »
http://www.ultimateiceanchor.com/Home.html

These are spendy, but work better than any other anchor I have seen. It is crazy how easily they go in and how hard they hold. They are similar to an ice anchor for climbing, but they are much cheaper.

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
« Reply #25 on: Oct 24, 2010, 11:27 PM »

These are spendy, but work better than any other anchor I have seen. It is crazy how easily they go in and how hard they hold. They are similar to an ice anchor for climbing, but they are much cheaper.

I saw the demonstration of these at the Saint Paul Ice Show last winter.  Everyone was amazed.  They were very pricey, around $45.

They screw in very easily, and held up to quite a bit of abuse.

Wiener

Offline wallydiven

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Oct 24, 2010, 11:34 PM »
I use the cheap bike hooks that you use to hang bikes in the garage. very cheap and even easier to screw in the ice. I bought the clam anchors and they arent nearly as easy as the hooks. just screw them in deep and your g2g in very high winds.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #27 on: Oct 25, 2010, 04:26 PM »
I saw the demonstration of these at the Saint Paul Ice Show last winter.  Everyone was amazed.  They were very pricey, around $45.

They screw in very easily, and held up to quite a bit of abuse.

Wiener

The Iceshanty booth was right next to these guys at the 08' St Paul Ice Show. They used the same anchor to do all of the demos all three days and it was still just as sharp as a razor on Sunday afternoon. The part that impressed me the most was their ability to hold tight in rotten ice. They brought their ice blocks in in the morning and wrapped them up. By the end of they day, the blocks were like sloppy swiss cheese. If they had any substance to the block left, they would grip like crazy. They did thread into the hard ice much more easily though.

Offline craigthor

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Oct 26, 2010, 12:08 PM »

I just ordered 4 of them, $87 to my door for them all. Not bad in my opinion, I sent them an e-mail about purchasing some on Sunday and Mike called me Monday morning about them. Mike told me one is grat for low wind days just to stabilize and 2 is all almost anyone would need. I went ahead and got 4 as Mike said it would be overkill if I needed them all but I like to have back ups around jsut in case. He shipped them out yesterday so I should have them soon. Compared to the prices of climbers ice anchors these are a steal though as quality anchors are expensive.

Craig

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #29 on: Oct 26, 2010, 07:11 PM »
I keep my shack hooked to my snowmobile, so I will rarely use an anchor. I use the Clam brand T handles when I do. I will maybe pick up one of these anchors at the ice show this year, T handles suck!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.