The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: IFPA tournaments chat area  (Read 22093 times)

Offline Ronbo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • fish hog
Re: IFPA tournaments chat area
« Reply #150 on: Feb 07, 2011, 08:22 PM »
What are u so upset about Ronbo
your being a jackass

icewagon

« Reply #151 on: Feb 07, 2011, 08:52 PM »
your being a jackass
  Oh no I'm a stallion :bow:

Offline JiggerMan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • one of my future ice buddies
« Reply #152 on: Feb 07, 2011, 09:52 PM »
20 fish limit ok ,what about fish 21 and fish 22 that you and your fishing partner just caught, now, there is a problem ,what to do ? Answer (and this came from one of your tourney guys) reach in the bucket and find a smaller one ,doesn't matter if its live or dead mite have been in the bucket for hrs just that its smaller, and can go down the hole. This will go on till the days over.

yeah we are only allowed to have 20 fish between anglers on a team.  and yes we weed out the smaller ones when bigger ones get caught.  and we keep our catch in a bucket.  I know that just about all of the tourney anglers keep their fish on a areator sytem with enough water in it for them to survive.  these fish are always in water.  never just lying on the ice sufficating, infact if the fish are kept out of water for extended amoutns of time even if you are into a hot school you can get DQ'd. 

I am speeking for myself here but when me and my partner had our 12 fish we started to get picky.  at any one time we never had 2o fish in a bucket.  we had 15 or so.  between the two of us in two different buckets and we were talking back and forth and regularly checking on the fish and knowing which was the smallest so we could let it go. 

the tournys do not last all day only a few hours probably just about half a day considering your walk out is hopefully off the clock and the walk back in is counted as time fished.  we fish less time then the average  person spends out there in a day of fishing....   

RGIII keeps a bench mighty warm

Offline flyboyroy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #153 on: Feb 08, 2011, 04:18 AM »
;D ;D ;D ;) WOW THIS will never stop will it now its a family fued!!!!! haahahaahahaha love it!!!  D.T.

I'm  with you, Eyes --  I'lll send you a PM  about last nights fishing trip.    Just  think --  we were minding our own business on  the walker thread   when all of a sudden they  moved out posts into the middle of this mess.     

one of the goals  of tourny fishing is to promote the great sport of ice fishing ?   I'll tell you what -- they better hope newbies  dont start reading this thread.    Its more like the "egos and attitudes "  chat area.   I dont care if they have a tourney,  but  reading these posts,   I  surely  do not want to become like them.  And I wouldnt want to teach my kid to fish like  that.

Talking to you saturday about the walker tourney -- for a fleeting moment  I was tempted to see of you or one of the other guys  wanted  to pair up and try one of their little tourneys.   Maybe  we would have  shown them all how to fish.  Maybe we would have had to eat humble pie -- whatever.    IDK --   you couldnt pay me  to  fish it  now.    I thought about  maybe at least going over to the weigh in at the end to meet some of the guys.   For what ?  To  see  who writes all the flamin emails?   I dont think so.

But if the fish are biting I will just stay on the ice and if they arent,  I will go home and watch the daytona 500.

To tell you the truth,  Feb 20  might  be a good day to  fish Holman or Faylor.

Offline quad700

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #154 on: Feb 08, 2011, 01:48 PM »
Are we not getting a little salty on both sides of the fence here. Must be some Democrats and Republicans here. ;D
Still waiting for that huge crappie to land in my frying pan.

Offline eyefishermandt

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • CAPTAIN OF THE F.O.P. ICE FISHING TEAM.
« Reply #155 on: Feb 08, 2011, 02:23 PM »
come on over roy, we decided we are going to fish it, me and 300wsm are partnered up so you should come and wish us some luck!!! im just hoping our fish dont move on us and you know what im talking about ;) ;) ;)...  good fishin roy really nice to meet you out there, i just wish you could have one of thise sun, i had 2 weeks ago!!!!  EYEFISHERMAN    D.T.
DONALD T WITMER III                                 Pro staff for Catch em all custom jigs, ACE custom rods, Contraband baits, Bonehead Tackle, Rhyno custom jigs,  And Expedition outdoors!

Offline Byron/PA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #156 on: Feb 08, 2011, 03:00 PM »
Good, let's hope the bickering has slowed somewhat. Of course, I have been wanting to chime in on this, but needed to wait till I had time to come up for air.

As far as hurting the fishery goes, let me say this; Those of you who have read my posts for the past ten years know that I am an ardent supporter of catch & relese as well as selective harvest.

I introduced the 20 fish maximum possesion limit on our anglers as a way to reduce the number of fish killed. Do some fish get pushed back down the hole that might not survive? Yes, but it's less than if I allowed anglers to posses the State imposed limit of 50 fish. Considering the tens of thousands of panfish that died in the fish kill last year (and 7 years ago) I really doubt our anglers will have much impact - talking about the Walker Lake event.  On a side note, let me say that I'm always ammused that the outspoken "anti tournament" guys are the same guys that keep every 4" gill they catch. Not pointing fingers, just saying..............

I compleatly understand that tournament fishing is not for everyone, or even most. It's expensive, hard work, time away from familly, and did I say hard work? I do not knock anyone that chooses not to partake in our events, and I understand why, and respect you for your opinion.

But I will say; that if you come out to one of our tournaments, as a non competitor, and watch some of our touring anglers, you will become a better panfisherman; if you want to.
I can't tell you how much of a better angler I have become since I started running these events, and the reason is simple; I am constantly surrounded by guys that are much better fisherman than I am, and I'm smart enough to admit it and learn from them.

And let me coment on this quote
Catching  bluegills for  prize money -    I wouldnt go  so far as to say  thats a great example, or that it is something to look up to.
 Maybe not, but is it better than looking up to the guy that can drive a car in circles and then beat up another driver? Is it better than looking up to the kid selling drugs in the school parking lot? Is it better than looking up to the baseball player who uses drugs or gambles on the games? Is it better than looking up to the guy who has no dreams? You might think that all our anglers do is try and win money by catching fish, but that's a far cry from the truth; many of our tour regulars donate their time and money for childrens programs, church activities, functions that benifit local fire departments and a host of other programs that educate, inform and help ice fishermen. I can honestly say that on any tournament day, I can look over of feild of contestants and say that 90% would make excellent role models. And I could say that about 100% of the guys (and gals) who follow our series.

80% of Americans are unhappy with the direction our once great Country is heading. Yet 80% of Americans insist on buying blue jeans that were made in China, coffee filters that were made in Taiwan and anything else that was made anywhere but here........wonder if there might be a connection?

Offline eyefishermandt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #157 on: Feb 08, 2011, 03:09 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D  very well put byron. this is suppose to help people out thats why im entered in the walker tourny i hope to learn more, from better!!!, and this is one of the lakes i fish all the time and im sure i will still learn a thing or two!! i cant wait im so excited to meet people, and this will be my first experience to do just that, and hell might even walk away with some money or something you never know!!!! very well put, now i think we should stop pissing in the wind cause your shoes are getting wet ;D ;D.... good luck to all who entered the tourny and good luck to all who dont enter the tourny!!!!!   EYEFISHERMAN    D.T.
DONALD T WITMER III                                 Pro staff for Catch em all custom jigs, ACE custom rods, Contraband baits, Bonehead Tackle, Rhyno custom jigs,  And Expedition outdoors!

Offline btechvft70

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #158 on: Feb 08, 2011, 03:30 PM »
As Byron said I wish everyone would come out and just see what happens at the tournaments even if you dont fish you never know what you might learn. I can honestly say that I have learned so much from watching and talking to the other fisherman on the tour
Dave

icewagon

« Reply #159 on: Feb 08, 2011, 04:09 PM »
Good, let's hope the bickering has slowed somewhat. Of course, I have been wanting to chime in on this, but needed to wait till I had time to come up for air.

As far as hurting the fishery goes, let me say this; Those of you who have read my posts for the past ten years know that I am an ardent supporter of catch & relese as well as selective harvest.

I introduced the 20 fish maximum possesion limit on our anglers as a way to reduce the number of fish killed. Do some fish get pushed back down the hole that might not survive? Yes, but it's less than if I allowed anglers to posses the State imposed limit of 50 fish. Considering the tens of thousands of panfish that died in the fish kill last year (and 7 years ago) I really doubt our anglers will have much impact - talking about the Walker Lake event.  On a side note, let me say that I'm always ammused that the outspoken "anti tournament" guys are the same guys that keep every 4" gill they catch. Not pointing fingers, just saying.......

I compleatly understand that tournament fishing is not for everyone, or even most. It's expensive, hard work, time away from familly, and did I say hard work? I do not knock anyone that chooses not to partake in our events, and I understand why, and respect you for your opinion.

But I will say; that if you come out to one of our tournaments, as a non competitor, and watch some of our touring anglers, you will become a better panfisherman; if you want to.
I can't tell you how much of a better angler I have become since I started running these events, and the reason is simple; I am constantly surrounded by guys that are much better fisherman than I am, and I'm smart enough to admit it and learn from them.

And let me coment on this quote   Maybe not, but is it better than looking up to the guy that can drive a car in circles and then beat up another driver? Is it better than looking up to the kid selling drugs in the school parking lot? Is it better than looking up to the baseball player who uses drugs or gambles on the games? Is it better than looking up to the guy who has no dreams? You might think that all our anglers do is try and win money by catching fish, but that's a far cry from the truth; many of our tour regulars donate their time and money for childrens programs, church activities, functions that benifit local fire departments and a host of other programs that educate, inform and help ice fishermen. I can honestly say that on any tournament day, I can look over of feild of contestants and say that 90% would make excellent role models. And I could say that about 100% of the guys (and gals) who follow our series.

Just proved my point every thing in life is competition, competition , competition, lets let fishing for fun "not money"

Offline JiggerMan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • one of my future ice buddies
« Reply #160 on: Feb 08, 2011, 05:47 PM »
 believe it or not i think i can speak for just about all the tourney guys here and say its not about the money, it really just is about having fun and learing and teaching all wrapped up in a little competition.

the money is just a reward for all the effort put in to it if your lucky enough to place in it.   if not, your reward is simply the good company of the others and a experience that will last forever.

RGIII keeps a bench mighty warm

Offline Ronbo

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • fish hog
« Reply #161 on: Feb 08, 2011, 05:54 PM »

then dont fish the tourneys and keep your comments to your self

Offline eyefishermandt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #162 on: Feb 08, 2011, 06:00 PM »
dont worry ICEWAGON the guys at the tourny on walker including my self will throw back all the golden shiners we catch, RIGHT GUYS!!!!  i think this is why he is so upset  ;D ;D ;D    EYEFISHERMAN   D.T.

Offline Byron/PA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #163 on: Feb 08, 2011, 06:07 PM »
Just proved my point every thing in life is competition, competition , competition, lets let fishing for fun "not money"

Icewagon,

My dear friend, I know you will never understand - and that's a shame - but it has nothing to do with the money, nothing at all. Would a guy drive 6 hours, destroy a snowmobile, spend nights away from home in a lonely motel room, go through two GPS units a year, buy a whole bunch of tackle, eat crappy food at the truck stop, live on five hours sleep, and the list of problems on any givin weekend goes on, and then turn around and do it all again the next week and do it for six weekends in a row - leave home on Thursday, get home Sunday, leave again on Thursday, all in the hopes of earning a $1000 paycheck??

No, of course not................... .................it's not about money
80% of Americans are unhappy with the direction our once great Country is heading. Yet 80% of Americans insist on buying blue jeans that were made in China, coffee filters that were made in Taiwan and anything else that was made anywhere but here........wonder if there might be a connection?

icewagon

« Reply #164 on: Feb 08, 2011, 06:09 PM »
dont worry ICEWAGON the guys at the tourny on walker including my self will throw back all the golden shiners we catch, RIGHT GUYS!!!!  i think this is why he is so upset  ;D ;D ;D    EYEFISHERMAN   D.T.
I want to thank you EYE'S  for sending back the golden shiners nice gesture. AS FAR AS IT GOES RONBO THIS IS A CHAT AREA ABOUT YOUR TOURNYS AND I WILL CHAT  :nono:

Offline btechvft70

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #165 on: Feb 08, 2011, 06:18 PM »
Icewagon,

My dear friend, I know you will never understand - and that's a shame - but it has nothing to do with the money, nothing at all. Would a guy drive 6 hours, destroy a snowmobile, spend nights away from home in a lonely motel room, go through two GPS units a year, buy a whole bunch of tackle, eat crappy food at the truck stop, live on five hours sleep, and the list of problems on any givin weekend goes on, and then turn around and do it all again the next week and do it for six weekends in a row - leave home on Thursday, get home Sunday, leave again on Thursday, all in the hopes of earning a $1000 paycheck??

No, of course not................... .................it's not about money

Like Byron said it certainly is not for the money. I have spent alot of money tournament fishing and what I have won doesn't even come close to what I have spent. It's the thrill of competion,comrodery, and the challenge that keeps me going week in and week out. It is something that has to expeiranced to find out if it is for you . We may not be able to change everyones mind but I am going to bet that if all of the people that are against tourney fishing came out and gave it a shot half of your minds would be changed.

One more thing Icewagon whats wrong with a little competion
Dave

Offline flyboyroy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #166 on: Feb 09, 2011, 05:59 AM »
Eyes --- I wish you well in the tourny.  Eric, too.    If I get over there the week before and  find  the "spot on the spot",  you better believe  I  will   let you know where it is !!!

And  Byron --   I need to give you credit, too.   The more I thing about it you are correct.   Catching bluegills for prize money is definitely more honorable than selling drugs to kids.

--- you are also right about the fishery -- there will likely be a big crappie die off at walker this year, and it will amount to more crappies than all of us  haul through the ice. You guys  aint hurting a thing by  keeping a few fish.

Did you boys catch the weather forecast  for next week ?  You might want to  bring your boats with you.

Walker lake seems to be right on the southern fringe of ice  tournament country.  I remember  last year when you guys were down --  Ice was a little "iffy" that day, too.

Offline slabs

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #167 on: Feb 09, 2011, 09:56 AM »
I can honestly say that on any tournament day, I can look over of feild of contestants and say that 90% would make excellent role models.

I think 92.5179433% of non-tourney ice anglers would make excellent role models...
YOU'RE IN MY HOLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

icewagon

« Reply #168 on: Feb 09, 2011, 10:48 AM »
Now,    that we have it settled, that its  not for the money  :o, and 90% of the participants are great role models  :o ,and its only about who's better  :bow: . Then what a noble gesture it would be that all winners donate their winnings to a charitable organisation , such as trout unlimited , ducks unlimited , take a kid fishing , cancer research ,you get the picture. That would truly make me a believer . :tipup:

Offline btechvft70

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #169 on: Feb 09, 2011, 10:51 AM »
well icewagon why dont you come on down to walker lake on saturday the 19th and see some of our tourney competiors donateing a few hours of their valuble prefishing time to a boyscout troop showing them the ins and outs of icefishing for panfish
Dave

Offline btechvft70

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #170 on: Feb 09, 2011, 11:06 AM »
Eyes --- I wish you well in the tourny.  Eric, too.    If I get over there the week before and  find  the "spot on the spot",  you better believe  I  will   let you know where it is !!!

And  Byron --   I need to give you credit, too.   The more I thing about it you are correct.   Catching bluegills for prize money is definitely more honorable than selling drugs to kids.

--- you are also right about the fishery -- there will likely be a big crappie die off at walker this year, and it will amount to more crappies than all of us  haul through the ice. You guys  aint hurting a thing by  keeping a few fish.

Did you boys catch the weather forecast  for next week ?  You might want to  bring your boats with you.

Walker lake seems to be right on the southern fringe of ice  tournament country.  I remember  last year when you guys were down --  Ice was a little "iffy" that day, too.

there may be some warm days but every night is below freezeing the ice will be just fine
Dave

Offline flyboyroy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #171 on: Feb 09, 2011, 07:46 PM »
Now,    that we have it settled, that its  not for the money  :o, and 90% of the participants are great role models  :o ,and its only about who's better  :bow: . Then what a noble gesture it would be that all winners donate their winnings to a charitable organisation , such as trout unlimited , ducks unlimited , take a kid fishing , cancer research ,you get the picture. That would truly make me a believer . :tipup:

I had thought about that ---  That might make for a fun event.  If everyone coughed up 120 bucks.   20  goes into the bigest panny  pot.  100 goes   to registration,  but  the  money  goes to  some good cause, like   habitat improvement, or a watershed organization ---    or a church or a fire company -- whatever.    Figure it like a regular  event and count points,   so  for  a full field of 75   you would have  $7,500 in registration, of which  $6,000 goes to charity instead of prize money.  The other $ 1,500 would go for expenses,  just like it would  normally.     The  winner gets all the  same  kudos as  he would have before, cuz its not about the money.

I dont know, Ice Wagon.   How many do you think would sign up ?   

Would  you ?   Me, either.    But I would  come help out if it were for a good cause.

Offline beck

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #172 on: Feb 13, 2011, 10:49 AM »
sorry guys forgot to post st. marys resivoir today ill try to keep you posted up here in elk county

Offline Byron/PA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #173 on: Feb 13, 2011, 09:34 PM »
Then what a noble gesture it would be that all winners donate their winnings to a charitable organisation , such as trout unlimited , ducks unlimited , take a kid fishing , cancer research ,you get the picture. That would truly make me a believer .

This past weekend, The North East Ice Tour and it's anglers raised, and donated, well over $1000.00 to the Perry Volunteer Fire Department in Perry, NY.  That amount will double by next year, and triple by the year after that.
The reason we raised that much for the Perry VFD is because the local fishermen,  nonfishermen and comunity of Perry, NY are behind us, support what we do.

We had planed on raising about that much for the American Cancer Society at our NJ tournament, but the event was met with local opposition. And those that were against our event will donate as much as you do...........

Anytime at all that you would like to have us raise money for a cause that you believe in, all you have to do is let me know how much volunteer work you'll put into it (because that's what I do) and I'll bend over backwards to make it happen.

I edited this post because I said some things which I should not have said, and mostly I shouldn't of said them because they were not necasarilly true, and I was mean.................. .and I'm really not a mean person. My appology to Icewagon and others who I might have offended or publicly slandered for no reason.

Flyboyroy,

cuz its not about the money.

You make some good points, maybe I should have said something like " It's not about the money, but coming clost to breaking even for the season is awesome"

Offline flyboyroy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #174 on: Feb 14, 2011, 05:35 PM »
Flyboyroy,

cuz its not about the money.

You make some good points, maybe I should have said something like " It's not about the money, but coming clost to breaking even for the season is awesome"

I  hear ya,Byron.  If  you measure yur sucess by  prize money  or  by  packs of frozen fillets,  you will probably  come up short.

---- One more important thing is  to come back safe.   YOu  will need to keep a close watch on that stream  just up from  the boat launch.  The ice is plenty thick at walker right now,   but  this warm weather and  the breeze   is really taking the  snow off.  I live   south  of Walker,  but  my local streams  are  comming up, and they are muddy.  So  you know the  snow is melting off the ag fields upstream.

Keep a close  eye  one the lake.   YOu probably wont   be able  to make a call until  late in the week,  but be careful !

--- but  to give you an idea of how thick the ice  was on sunday ------   some  of the guys went to Faylor sunday evening and they called me on the way home.        On the way out they noticed some odd looking tracks.   Turns out  that a small truck   got on the ice at the boat ramp,  drove all the way across the lake -- past the islands --  did a few donuts, then  went back.

Can you believe that one ???   I wonder how much alcohol was involved in that one :-)

Offline Byron/PA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #175 on: Feb 15, 2011, 03:02 PM »
Here is what was posted on the NEIT site about the upcoming Walker lake event.

OK Guys,

Here is what I do know;

Many teams will have a long drive to get here; I know of one team from Western PA, two teams from MI, one from NJ and several from NY are considering coming to this event. I don't want to see anyone make a long drive for a tournament that might be cancelled.

I know that as of an hour ago, ice conditions were very good - a bit slick, but upwards of 10" throughout the lake, shoreline in good condition, holes from yesterday refroze last night, feeder streams under conrtrol, 4WD still needed in the parking area, a low of 13 tonight. It would be great in the next four days.

What I do not know;

What will happen on Friday, and most importantly how much run off there will be. I'm sure that the ice could survive several very warm days, but the run off is the big question, and that's hard to predict.

What I do know;

Is that, if we have to cancel the tournament or impose boundries, we will not know that until Saturday.

We are going forward with the tournament and planing on it happening, as I do think the ice will be OK. However I have been wrong before, and it could get canceled at the last moment.

Here is a link for the weather in this area, the lake area is generally several degrees colder
http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=17842

So it's up to you if the drive is worth the risk, as some others will tell you; tournament fishing is all about gambling. If you already made a deposit online and we do cancel at the last moment, you will get a refund.

Offline rtibbs48

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #176 on: Feb 15, 2011, 03:19 PM »
Byron,I fished the lake today acrose from launch, measured 13" of ice, no water on top and feeder streams seem to running normal, there is very little snow left,the parking lot is bare in middle only icy where you park.no problem getting back to lake with two wheel drive.Roy 

Offline quad700

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #177 on: Feb 15, 2011, 09:16 PM »
Do you have a problem with someone getting back some money.I spends a large amount of money on hobbies every year,fish,hunt,atv,ski boat,family camper.And bi golly if I would win a tourney, that money would go straight to my pocket.Why don't you tell race car drivers to forfeit there winnings also.
Still waiting for that huge crappie to land in my frying pan.

Offline svnative

• IceShanty Rookie
  • A bad day fishin beats a good day at school
lily lake tourney?
« Reply #178 on: Feb 15, 2011, 10:05 PM »
Is anyone hitten up the tournement at lily on the 27th

Offline draketrutta

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: lily lake tourney?
« Reply #179 on: Feb 15, 2011, 10:48 PM »
do you have any other information about this?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.