Author Topic: Have you ever felt the ice "shake" before?  (Read 805 times)

Offline WhackMaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
Have you ever felt the ice "shake" before?
« on: Jan 13, 2010, 08:59 AM »
i did, on sunday. i've been fishin for 30 years now and i've never felt it do that. i don't mean the "thuds" you feel when it cracks, this time it shook, side to side. almost like an earthquake. it lasted for only about 2 seconds, but the 3 of us looked at eachother and said "**censored** was that?" none of us had ever experienced it before, and the 2 guys i was with are in their mid 50's and have been fishin since they were in diapers. it was really weird..

i've heard stories of the the lake "turning over" where the ice would break and move upward several feet, but i don't know if this was related to anything like that or not. it just shook or trembled.

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Have you ever felt the ice "shake" before?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2010, 10:13 AM »
It could have been a pressure wave created by a vehicle on the ice, that's if there were vehicles on the ice. :-\
The other option could be an actual earthquake. We have them here in New England all the time, but they are usually so weak that we never feel them.  :o
Then it could have been a herd of moose running rampant on the ice, but that usully happens after the liquid refreshments are served. ;D

My initial guess would be a pressure wave, with a quake as a very distant second.

Hey, as least it wasn't disasterous, just wierd.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline Riverat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Our Winter Home on the Lake.
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2010, 10:19 AM »
I wonder if there was a pressure ridge nearby, the ice would move as the pressure was released at the ridge and the ice would buckle at the ridge. If so, you were at the right spot at the right time to feel it.

Offline WhackMaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2010, 10:24 AM »
no vehicle out there, not even a sled. no moose either  ;D. and we weren't drinkin.. i guess it had to be either an earthquake or a pressure ridge nearby. we didn't see any on the way out, but i suppose it's possible.

Offline mcl79

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2010, 10:34 AM »
A couple years ago I was standing 150ft away from a pressure ridge and my friend was about 300ft away. The ice began to shake and my friend could see me shaking with it we looked at the pressure ridge and it looked like a wave hitting the beach.   It lasted about 10 seconds and one sheet of ice moved under the other about 10-15 ft.  We almost SH*# ourselves.  What you felt was most likely due to a pressure ridge.

Offline mcl79

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 13, 2010, 10:35 AM »
A couple years ago I was standing 150ft away from a pressure ridge and my friend was about 300ft away. The ice began to shake and my friend could see me shaking with it we looked at the pressure ridge and it looked like a wave hitting the beach.   It lasted about 10 seconds and one sheet of ice moved under the other about 10-15 ft.  We almost SH*# ourselves.  What you felt was most likely due to a pressure ridge.

Offline mcl79

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 13, 2010, 10:37 AM »
oops sorry for the double post.  Site said server was shutting down when I posted it the first time.

Offline Capt. Black

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • "Deserves got nothing to do with it."
« Reply #7 on: Jan 13, 2010, 10:38 AM »
Were you ice fishing in Haiti :roflmao:

Offline mcl79

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 13, 2010, 10:43 AM »
I am a voodoo child!!!

Offline WhackMaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 13, 2010, 10:47 AM »
yeah that must have been it. i don't think we'll be ice fishin in haiti any time soon   ;D

Offline JIGGIN-

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Go Go Get Em!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 13, 2010, 11:46 AM »
Years ago when Fishog and I fished Winnisquam, we had a pressure ridge come through. We were in an 8x8 bobhouse. The house was lifted and dropped, more like slammed down, we both made a dash for the door. Fishog was the first at the door and me behind him trying to push him out the door but he wouldn't get out. When he opened the door, there was nothing but water all over the ice. After we got done yelling at each other (me yelling get out of the house and pushing on him and Fishog holding back yelling at me to stop pushing him) we looked out side to see alot the water on the ice, I thought we were going down.
After we composed ourselves, (pushed the turtle head back in), we eventually stepped out of the house and looked around. Our friends bobhouse was bobbing up and down in the water. A pressure ridge came through and went on both sides of our buddies house and kept on going. Sunk his house. Luckily he wasn't in the house at the time.
Spent the rest of the day getting his house out of the lake. This happened off of black brook.

Never seen a pressure ridge come down the lake and go on both sides of a house (right around the house) and sink it since then.

JIGGIN.

Offline Bean town Boy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 13, 2010, 04:47 PM »
NO but had the wind shift the ice so I had climb over the ridge to get on to shore

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.