The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: The difference in color between a Cape Cod Bass and a Charles River Bass  (Read 895 times)

Offline newbraintree

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Get a Set!
Striper51, I saw your pic from today's bass on the cape and I had to get this thread up there.  Do you think that there is a difference in water quality between Cape Cod Kettle Ponds and the Dirty Water Charles??  The one from the cape looks more like a striper while the charles one looks like it was crossed with a perch.

Striper51's fish from the Cape
[]

Cam's Bass from the Charles
, , ,

Offline xjma

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I'm no biologist, so I won't comment on the actual bass other than I see them vary in color and markings from place to place.

In terms of the water quality, obviously the charles is very dirty.  Even without human pollution, the charles is going to be way different than a kettle pond on the cape.  One is a flowing drainage system that has stagnant areas as well as areas that with a good amount of flow.  Sediment is constantly being transported down river, not to mention pollution. 

Kettle ponds are often spring fed, but not always.  Even when they have streams dumping into them the sediment load is minimal.  Kettle ponds can get real deep and be stratified in terms of temperature, which has a strong influence on nutrients in the water, which in turn dictates what kind of organisms live and thrive there, which in turn has a large influence on the food availability for fishies....

I'm rambling, but a river and a kettle pond are very very different. 

Offline newbraintree

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Get a Set!

I'm rambling, but a river and a kettle pond are very very different. 

I could not agree with you more. 
, , ,

Offline xjma

• Team IceShanty Maniac
I could not agree with you more. 

On which part, the rambling or the very very different part??  haha.

Offline JustOsmo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Both?  :o  ;D

Offline Canalratt

• Team IceShanty Regular
Water color will always change the way a bass looks. I have caught LM that were very dark others from clay colored water look like white perch. Smallies can be differant colored even from the same lake, fish in shallow water look lighter while the deep fish are much darker.

Offline xjma

• Team IceShanty Maniac

Offline striper51

• Team IceShanty Regular
 The pond i caught that bass in is some of the clearest water I've ever seen. You can follow your shiner down almost 20 ft. 10-15ft down you can see the weeds on the botton. It a small pond but its depth i somewhere around 25-30ft.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.