The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Fishing at Heards Pond with some Good Friends  (Read 1375 times)

Offline butchy54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Fishing at Heards Pond with some Good Friends
« on: Jan 12, 2010, 12:42 PM »
What a blue Bird day to Ice Fish at Heards yesterday No wind!!!!!! Temps in the 20's it doesn't get any better then that.Thanks Mark(FRED)and Marky(FNE) andDon(dbl828)and Scott(GrizleyGrue).We had some runners but the Hookup didn't happen today,they Keep spitting the Big Baits Out????FRED got a nice slime dart.We'll do it again guys soon!!!.I have pic if FNE gets a hold of me I'll email him the pic so he can post them.I just have a hard time posting here :nono: :nono: :blink: :blink:I guess you can't teach a old dog new tricks.                                             Thanks Again Guys had a lot of fun
                                                                                 BE SAFE    Art                           
I don't always Ice Fish,but when I do I always use Indian Hill Traps Stay safe my friends
[One of The G.O.D.S.

Offline GrizlyGarou

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Fishing at Heards Pond with some Good Friends
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2010, 12:49 PM »
Yeah, definitely a good time.  We had a few more flags after you guys left, mostly spits but a couple more pickerel got dried off for a minute.  None of the fish landed were mine, though.  :'(  I guess that's what you should expect when you use the biggest bait you have.

"One hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in or the kind of car I drove, but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child."  Anonymous

Offline FishingNewEngland

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fishing New England
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2010, 12:57 PM »
Funny story after you guys all left yesterday. Mark and I were wrapping up our traps and the one closest to where we parked goes off. We get to it and it's running like crazy! As was the par for the day, it spit the hook. Mark re-sets the trap and 2 minutes later it goes off again. Same deal, spinning like mad and again took about 30-40 yards into the corner. This time he loses the bait on it and again no fish. I had just pulled a trap so I had a baited set up in hand. I drop it in and 30 seconds later (while we are standing right on top of the trap) it goes screaming line off again! Same direction and same amount of line off. Again, the fish gets into the corner and spits the hook. All 3 flags were from the same hole and no more than 10 minutes went by from first to third. We had obviously pi$$ed that fish off as he wanted nothing going down that hole.

I'm planning on trying again next Monday if anyone wants to go. I really think I almost had my first pike yesterday.

Offline butchy54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2010, 01:06 PM »
I think you should  can those Circle Hooks I lost a lot of fish in the saltwater because of them Just my opinion ??? ???
I don't always Ice Fish,but when I do I always use Indian Hill Traps Stay safe my friends
[One of The G.O.D.S.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fishing New England
« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2010, 01:08 PM »

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fishing New England
« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2010, 01:09 PM »
I think you should  can those Circle Hooks I lost a lot of fish in the saltwater because of them Just my opinion ??? ???

Oh yeah Art. Trebles from now on for the pike.  ;D

Offline Canalratt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2010, 01:12 PM »
Time there will get you your first pike!

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 12, 2010, 01:15 PM »
How are you baiting the hooks, lip, dorsal or tail?
When you get that many dropped baits, it definitely sounds like pikerel/pike.
I usually start off hooking through the lip, and if I start getting "the droppers", I'll change to hooking just below the dorsal fin.

I like that pond year round because of the potential for good fish year round.
I was kayaking there this past year and encountered the resident beaver many times at night.
(Man, that thing is big and makes a huge splash with it's tail slap.)

"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fishing New England
« Reply #8 on: Jan 12, 2010, 01:18 PM »
How are you baiting the hooks, lip, dorsal or tail?
When you get that many dropped baits, it definitely sounds like pikerel/pike.
I usually start off hooking through the lip, and if I start getting "the droppers", I'll change to hooking just below the dorsal fin.

I like that pond year round because of the potential for good fish year round.
I was kayaking there this past year and encountered the resident beaver many times at night.
(Man, that thing is big and makes a huge splash with it's tail slap.)

I had all dead bait so everything was dorsal hooked. We had hits all day but no takers.

Offline lavaman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 12, 2010, 03:16 PM »
should have had lucky lavaman with you.  ;D

Offline knotreelly

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 12, 2010, 04:05 PM »
those drive bys are a pain but they keep you warm

Offline gigs1o1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 12, 2010, 04:12 PM »
I believe I saw you guys out there I showed up late 10:30, with my one man shanty, and also had a couple of drops with one nice bass. A couple of you were out there b4 me and after I left, good work guys keep puttin your time in.
ZD

Offline JustOsmo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 12, 2010, 04:21 PM »
What a  bunch of cheerful fishermen!

Offline GrizlyGarou

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 12, 2010, 04:26 PM »
I believe I saw you guys out there I showed up late 10:30, with my one man shanty, and also had a couple of drops with one nice bass. A couple of you were out there b4 me and after I left, good work guys keep puttin your time in.
ZD

Yeah, we saw you over there in your shanty.  I didn't see many fish on top of the ice, and I had my binoculars to watch everybody.  They just weren't quite hungry enough yesterday I guess.

Also, I forget how short I am until I see myself in a picture with other people.  I think next time I'll stand on my bait bucket for the group pic...

"One hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in or the kind of car I drove, but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child."  Anonymous

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fishing New England
« Reply #14 on: Jan 12, 2010, 04:42 PM »
What a  bunch of cheerful fishermen!

I was smiling but the beard is getting in the way!  ;D

Offline drl823

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 12, 2010, 07:02 PM »
Was a great time and a great day....we'll get on 'em one of these days ;D

Offline THE JIGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Member of the GODS (Grumpy Old DudeS)
« Reply #16 on: Jan 12, 2010, 08:10 PM »
What a crew. I hope you guys kept one of my buddy's in line today. Sorry I couldn't make it.
 I would have hoped you hooked up today. As long as you had a great time ,that's what counts. Great pictures.
MA

Offline jpete92

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 12, 2010, 08:21 PM »
What a blue Bird day to Ice Fish at Heards yesterday No wind!!!!!! Temps in the 20's it doesn't get any better then that.Thanks Mark(FRED)and Marky(FNE) andDon(dbl828)and Scott(GrizleyGrue).We had some runners but the Hookup didn't happen today,they Keep spitting the Big Baits Out????FRED got a nice slime dart.We'll do it again guys soon!!!.I have pic if FNE gets a hold of me I'll email him the pic so he can post them.I just have a hard time posting here :nono: :nono: :blink: :blink:I guess you can't teach a old dog new tricks.                                             Thanks Again Guys had a lot of fun
                                                                                 BE SAFE    Art                           

Nice! I saw you guys out on the point there, I go by there everyday at lunch to do some jigging and change the water in my baitbucket. You got a great day weather wise yesterday.  Great Pics

Offline drl823

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 13, 2010, 05:09 PM »
Another slow day...2 run and spits and that was it  :%$#!:

Offline GrizlyGarou

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 13, 2010, 05:27 PM »
Another slow day...2 run and spits and that was it  :%$#!:

I don't feel so bad for not being able to make it, then.  I mean, if I had made it, you would have seen a pike.  Yeah. That's what I meant...

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fishing New England
« Reply #20 on: Jan 13, 2010, 05:30 PM »
I don't feel so bad for not being able to make it, then.  I mean, if I had made it, you would have seen a pike.  Yeah. That's what I meant...

Wait, huh?

Offline drl823

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 13, 2010, 06:25 PM »

Ya ....you didn't miss anything only two other guys at the gut...wind came up we moved in nothin..Wed is good let me know I'll call Art and Dick

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.