The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Onota Lake drawdown  (Read 2358 times)

Offline minnow1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Onota Lake drawdown
« on: Jan 12, 2010, 10:27 AM »
Fellow sportsmen,

Many of you have probably fished Onota Lake.  The city of Pittsfield has drawn the lake down more than double what they normally do.  Normal drawdown is 3 feet and they say its 6 feet this year but it looks like 7-8.  The usual shallow fishing areas are gone, especially in the northern end of the lake.  That area is just exposed mud now.  It really is a disgusting thing.  I guess they are doing it to control weeds and  put in a new pipe at the dam to control the drawdown better.   

An organization made up of mostly lakefront homeowners called LOPA is saying that this is for the good of the lake.  They say it will help kill the weeds in shallow areas and protect their property from ice damage.  The normal drawdown of 3 feet does protect them no problem.  I am concerned about what this is doing to the fish and wildlife in and around the lake.  They say it won't effect anything but the drawdown and the killing of the weeds by chemicals the past two years has effected the quality of fishing, in my opinion.  I can understand that the lakefront homes don't want weeds but there has to be some kind of balance.  Don't kill all the weeds, the fish need them. 

Sportsmen can join the LOPA club for $10.  The more of us that can voice our opinion will maybe help persuade them to understand that a quality fishery should not be messed with in the way the are doing it now.  If you are concerned, check their website and email them.  Also, email the MassWildlife people and the city of Pittsfield.  The more people that do it, the better.

Thanks for listening.

Offline masshysteria

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Taking my Grandson fishing!
Re: Onota Lake drawdown
« Reply #1 on: Jan 12, 2010, 06:06 PM »
Bravo, and a worthy cause! However, be forewarned; some of the lakefront owners on LOPA who are pushing the severe drawdown have the proverbial "friends in high places". A man with some persuasion on LOPA, and an opponent of the drawdown is Tom Daly (Onota Boat Livery). Perhaps he can suggest an avenue of approach, especially since he is in contact with DFW. I drive by the new DFW headquarters in Dalton on my way to Wahconah High School quite often. I'll have to drop in and corner the biologist there, and see what their take is on this?
Tom

Offline masshysteria

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2010, 06:15 PM »
In retrospect, I wonder if the State authority over Onota would be the DCR (Dept. of Conservation and Recreation), and not DFW? I do know the City of Pittsfield has some kind of control/ownership of the lake, so it may be a very confused relationship between all concerned. ::)
Tom

Offline lenz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 'Ice Only' Fisherman
« Reply #3 on: Jan 12, 2010, 06:38 PM »
hate to say it but you're all screwed. the 'lake association' can do anything they want as long as it is not prohibited by state. draw downs to control weeds are accepted.
the illustrious residents of haavud mass have been drawing down Bare Hill pond now for years. all so that the water skiers are not affected by the weeds..Bare Hill 'used' to be one of the best bass ponds in the state, now the water is brackish and i didn't even catch a bass last year. this year the drawdown is at least 6'. they are destroying the fish population.
and now i read in their latest report that weeds that are not affected by the drawdown are now florishing in those areas.

what a bunch of morons..total unequivocal morons

burp

lenz
Member of G.O.D.S

One pill makes you larger
And one pill makes you small
And the ones that mother gives you
Don't do anything at all

Offline xjma

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2010, 06:41 PM »
Unfortunately the state doesn't care what's best for the fisheries.  They only care about 'people in high places.' 

Who's dam is it??  Dams are regulated as to how much they can draw down, and maybe they're violating rules because of political pressure?? 

Nothing in this state is the way it should be!!  Sorry, I'm just the messenger!  I think it sucks too.

Offline masshysteria

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 12, 2010, 06:49 PM »

Who's dam is it??  Dams are regulated as to how much they can draw down, and maybe they're violating rules because of political pressure?? 

95% sure the City of Pittsfield owns the dam, as I believe at one time Onota was an official back-up water supply for the City
Tom

Offline G.Horne

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 12, 2010, 07:29 PM »
Drawing down tha lake to kill the weeds DOES NOT WORK. I lived on Sabbatia in Taunton for three years and they did that and every year surprize, surprize the weeds came back. And if they don't let the water fill up before they start gowing in the spring the weeds will grow deeper because more light will penetrate the deeper areas.

Offline lenz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 'Ice Only' Fisherman
« Reply #7 on: Jan 13, 2010, 07:26 AM »
why is it that we all seem to know it doesn't work but these dopes keep trying it??

burp

lenz
Member of G.O.D.S

One pill makes you larger
And one pill makes you small
And the ones that mother gives you
Don't do anything at all

Offline GrizlyGarou

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 13, 2010, 07:30 AM »
We have patience, and usually understand that the way that seems to be the easiest ends up being way harder in the long run, Lenz.

There's a pond around here they keep dropping weed killer into to kill the weeds.  I used to go there and catch some nice pickerel, now all you get is 6 or 8 inch ones.  I've heard the larger bass population is dwindling now, too. The winning fish from the derby they do there every winter have been pretty small, too. The water skiers sure do have a nice time in there, though. 

"One hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in or the kind of car I drove, but the world may be different because I was important in the life of a child."  Anonymous

Offline minnow1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 13, 2010, 07:57 AM »
Drawing down tha lake to kill the weeds DOES NOT WORK. I lived on Sabbatia in Taunton for three years and they did that and every year surprize, surprize the weeds came back. And if they don't let the water fill up before they start gowing in the spring the weeds will grow deeper because more light will penetrate the deeper areas.

Never thought of that.  That makes a lot of sense.  But not to the morons of course.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.