Author Topic: cooking with mr.buddy heater  (Read 124974 times)

Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: cooking with mr.buddy heater
« Reply #40 on: Jan 23, 2010, 08:50 PM »
My painters grate was about $1.25 and going strong for 4 seasons now. I had the pliers and as you can see it was a real pro job ;D

Get-R Done!

The new buddies have a fold down handle.

Gary
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Gordo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Feb 01, 2010, 03:22 PM »
Just picked up my Big Buddy from Lowe's this morning. Can't wait to modify it into a Buddy Cooker. Good Thread!

smitty0312

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Save your back.. buy a "Smitty Sled Kit"
« Reply #42 on: Feb 02, 2010, 11:59 AM »
I been wanting to cook something while icefishing for a while now but didn't want to drag the portable grill along, I have a regular buddy heater and the paint screen is a great idea! It will be nice to have something "HOT" to eat out on the ice. Easy and very portable, and cheap! Smitty

walleyeboater

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Feb 02, 2010, 12:08 PM »
They are not cheap, but they are fast. Jetboil.com. I do not have one either.

Bill Collector Bob

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The ice doesn't melt, it cries!
« Reply #44 on: Feb 02, 2010, 01:58 PM »

..... Just keep the foil pans forward so the handle won't melt.

Gary

Learned this the hard way last weekend!

-Bob

JJZFlash

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • sun rise at the bait shop
« Reply #45 on: Feb 02, 2010, 03:02 PM »
kool i made mine out of a paintroller tray for a 3 gal bucket. i'd post a pic but i left it on the ice the first time i used it ! :o  good thing there under 2$   ;D   just a couple of bends  and your all set

jackhollio

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #46 on: Feb 02, 2010, 05:53 PM »
had a pair of needle nose pilers frezze on me so i jammed em in the girl a few minutes later they sizzled when i touched em to snow ... so it should work good to make grilled cheese lol
Do you mean "grill" or do you have a Hot "girl"?  ;D ;D ;D

Commando

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #47 on: Feb 02, 2010, 08:53 PM »
I dig it :) I'm gonna have to so the same. We used to use a metal pizza sheet on coleman lanterns. drill a hole through the middle of it and set it between the top screw and nut over the dome.  Now that don't use lanterns I'll be warming up hot wings Mr Buddy style.

Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Feb 02, 2010, 09:22 PM »
The paint roller grate I used was a bit wider than the mesh grill on my buddy heater. I had to pry open the metal trim on one edge and then trim the mesh to the right size. Crimped the edge band back on and did a couple simple bends.

Heat from below and heat inside my shanty not to mention the heat from the chille!

So how hard would it be for Mr. Heater to just put the flat grill on these to begin with?

Gary

Commando

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #49 on: Feb 02, 2010, 09:27 PM »
The Company must have heard it was being used like that.

They shut off now when you tip 'em.

Some people have disabled the switch that shuts the fuel off when they are tipped.

Wiener

How do you shut that off? I hate that shut off.

Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Feb 02, 2010, 09:32 PM »
How do you shut that off? I hate that shut off.

Check yours out!  Mine has a shut off when the oxygen gets low or when the pilot goes out but I can tip it any way I want with no shut down!

That low oxygen sensor might just save your butt if you ever fall asleep so I would not be messing with a built in safety feature as valuable as that.

Gary

baginwal

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Feb 02, 2010, 09:34 PM »
Check yours out!  Mine has a shut off when the oxygen gets low or when the pilot goes out but I can tip it any way I want with no shut down!

Same with my Mr. Buddy
No Politics............Ju st Fish!

steve339

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Feb 02, 2010, 09:38 PM »
Man.  You guys are killing me.  First I have to mod my shanty, then my sled, then my poles and holders and now I'm going to have to mod my heater.  It's going to be a busy summer.  Keep 'em coming.  I love seeing the ingenuity you guys possess.

Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #53 on: Feb 03, 2010, 11:42 AM »
drill out the small hole on the pol end of the hose (where it hooks to the 5 - 100lb tank)
  allow more propane flow thru the hose to the built in regulator  thus allowing quicker start up and if you had issues with running it on high without it going out    now there is a mod that works too
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
« Reply #54 on: Feb 04, 2010, 09:28 AM »

Heat from below and heat inside my shanty not to mention the heat from the chille!

So how hard would it be for Mr. Heater to just put the flat grill on these to begin with?

Looks good.  Not sure about the beans though.
You may want to reconsider the possibility of a gas explosion.   ;D

Opening the windows to let out a fart kind of defeats the purpose of a heater as well.

Wiener

Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #55 on: Feb 04, 2010, 09:40 AM »
Looks good.  Not sure about the beans though.
You may want to reconsider the possibility of a gas explosion.   ;D

Opening the windows to let out a fart kind of defeats the purpose of a heater as well.

Wiener

Now you know why I hate Bibbs!  :(

Commando

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #56 on: Feb 05, 2010, 10:24 PM »
Check yours out!  Mine has a shut off when the oxygen gets low or when the pilot goes out but I can tip it any way I want with no shut down!

That low oxygen sensor might just save your butt if you ever fall asleep so I would not be messing with a built in safety feature as valuable as that.

Gary

Mine is a Mr.Buddy.  It shuts down if it gets tipped even a little bit.  Very irritating when when you bump it with your boot and it shuts down. It chokes out automatically if the oxygen gets to low also, but there's got to be some kind of merc switch for the tipping.

Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #57 on: Feb 06, 2010, 08:19 AM »
Mine is a Mr.Buddy.  It shuts down if it gets tipped even a little bit.  Very irritating when when you bump it with your boot and it shuts down. It chokes out automatically if the oxygen gets to low also, but there's got to be some kind of merc switch for the tipping.

I have to fess up here as I was out yesterday and just for fun I tried to carefully tip mine and it does shut right off. I knew it had the low oxygen shut off but did not know it also had the tip switch.

Gary

Commando

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #58 on: Feb 08, 2010, 09:05 PM »
I have to fess up here as I was out yesterday and just for fun I tried to carefully tip mine and it does shut right off. I knew it had the low oxygen shut off but did not know it also had the tip switch.

Gary

I found the exploded view in my manual and it shows the tip switch location.  Although it's irritating, I think I'll leave it alone. Better tp have to fire it up again than burn down the shanty (or garage, I use it to dry my stuff out in my one car garage and it works nicely.

Jrod0582

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Feb 08, 2010, 10:10 PM »
excellent idea!

Follow Iceshanty at Twitter Iceshanty Facebook Page Iceshanty Youtube Channel
Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.