Author Topic: Tell 'em to get their own Flasher!  (Read 1389 times)

servocam

Tell 'em to get their own Flasher!
« on: Jan 10, 2010, 09:32 PM »
Wow, I now really really really want to buy a Flasher.  Never owned one and now really just getting in to ice fishing going by myself vs. always with buddies w/ the gadgets telling me "ah, don't worry about it, I have one or two of those."  While that is nice, I couldn't go whenever I wanted and take my 5yo.

When going w/ friends, they just tell me the depth is XX feet and the crappies are at YY feet, never really getting to play w/ the flasher.

So today my neighbor/friend was nice to let me use his Vexilar.  My 5yo and I went out on a little lake/pond that we dock fish in the summer for b'gills/sunnies.  First I asked some of the others what was going on.  Guy said the Crappies were deep, but now moving shallow.  Now keep in mind we went out around 1pm, so not the best fishing time, but again, goal was to have lunch on the lake, play around, and maybe catch something.

The Command Post was set up over 17 FOW - drop in the Flasher - NOTHING - bummer!  It was 15 deg, slight breeze here/there off/on sunny - beautiful day.  Drilled some holes at 12, 3 and 9 o'clock, 50 & 100 ft away.

I was having fun playing with the flasher and didn’t mind drilling all the holes w/ my 8" hand-auger.  Ice was only 12" so easy to do.

So was really cool to find in 25FOW, and see many bars of orange & green covering 16-19 feet on the Flasher.  I figured that had to be the Crappies.  Just unfortunately they were not hungry for Crappie minnows and didn't try waxies.  They only stayed for 15-20 mins and then would just disappear.

Also cool you could see air-bubbles float up.  Watch a small single green bar slide around the scale.  It was fun teaching my son what to look for on the screen and how we can see the bottom and the type of bottom.  We were in muck, didn't see any weeds.  I even saw the screen, around 10' down, start green, turn orange, more orange, red, larger red...back to green and then gone.  Somehing big swam by.

Some of you reading this may be laughing and can hear the comments now.  To all the newbies - go buy one!  You won't regret it.  I think I can scrape up $300 from my slush fund for a Marcum VX-1.

To all those who bring friends with that don't own one, please stop saying "just use mine."  Instead, tell them "GET YOUR OWN!" and then maybe I would of bought one sooner :-)

The secret to success is knowing who to blame for your failures.
-despair.com

Offline ice--cube

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Tell 'em to get their own Flasher!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2010, 09:38 PM »
Once you fish with one you will never go back, and if you do you will be lost.

Offline Mr. Shanny

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • When the goin' gets tough, I go ice fishing!!!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2010, 09:47 PM »
I was the first one to get a Vex in my family. I couldn't believe that we fished with out it!  Before anyone else got one, it seemed like I was checking everyone's holes for them. Eveyone wanted to know where their bait was, how deep the water was, where were the fish.....   Talk about cutting into my fishing time.  >:(  Finally I told them to "get their own" and now life is good and we are all catching fish!!!   ;D

Offline GotEmHooked

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2010, 10:52 PM »
Wow, I now really really really want to buy a Flasher.  Never owned one and now really just getting in to ice fishing going by myself vs. always with buddies w/ the gadgets telling me "ah, don't worry about it, I have one or two of those."  While that is nice, I couldn't go whenever I wanted and take my 5yo.

When going w/ friends, they just tell me the depth is XX feet and the crappies are at YY feet, never really getting to play w/ the flasher.

So today my neighbor/friend was nice to let me use his Vexilar.  My 5yo and I went out on a little lake/pond that we dock fish in the summer for b'gills/sunnies.  First I asked some of the others what was going on.  Guy said the Crappies were deep, but now moving shallow.  Now keep in mind we went out around 1pm, so not the best fishing time, but again, goal was to have lunch on the lake, play around, and maybe catch something.

The Command Post was set up over 17 FOW - drop in the Flasher - NOTHING - bummer!  It was 15 deg, slight breeze here/there off/on sunny - beautiful day.  Drilled some holes at 12, 3 and 9 o'clock, 50 & 100 ft away.

I was having fun playing with the flasher and didn’t mind drilling all the holes w/ my 8" hand-auger.  Ice was only 12" so easy to do.

So was really cool to find in 25FOW, and see many bars of orange & green covering 16-19 feet on the Flasher.  I figured that had to be the Crappies.  Just unfortunately they were not hungry for Crappie minnows and didn't try waxies.  They only stayed for 15-20 mins and then would just disappear.

Also cool you could see air-bubbles float up.  Watch a small single green bar slide around the scale.  It was fun teaching my son what to look for on the screen and how we can see the bottom and the type of bottom.  We were in muck, didn't see any weeds.  I even saw the screen, around 10' down, start green, turn orange, more orange, red, larger red...back to green and then gone.  Somehing big swam by.

Some of you reading this may be laughing and can hear the comments now.  To all the newbies - go buy one!  You won't regret it.  I think I can scrape up $300 from my slush fund for a Marcum VX-1.

To all those who bring friends with that don't own one, please stop saying "just use mine."  Instead, tell them "GET YOUR OWN!" and then maybe I would of bought one sooner :-)

The secret to success is knowing who to blame for your failures.
-despair.com

Yea i am buying a flasher very soon!!!...and am ready to say get your own EVERYTHING!

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2010, 05:39 AM »
I can remember a very long time ago went out with my bud and went eye fishing at that time had a vex8, eyes were 10' off the bottom and they were smoking , he comes over and says let me see ,it was holy crap , next morning we meet to go out ,he says that won't happen again look what I got low and behold was a new vex8 ,seeing is believing  ::)

Offline USMarine2001

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 11, 2010, 06:50 AM »
i picked one up this year too and find myself loaning it to dad or my uncle for a few mins each time we go out. I don't mind I almost feel bad becasue they done have one, I'm not sure if they want them or not, but I do notice my dad will often look over my shoulder to watch the screen. maybe a fathersday gift in the works

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Jan 11, 2010, 07:54 AM »
i picked one up this year too and find myself loaning it to dad or my uncle for a few mins each time we go out. I don't mind I almost feel bad becasue they done have one, I'm not sure if they want them or not, but I do notice my dad will often look over my shoulder to watch the screen. maybe a fathersday gift in the works
that would be a great gift ,then your uncle can peer over you dads shoulder ::)

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #7 on: Jan 11, 2010, 09:22 AM »
My equipment breaks even when I'm gentle with it...The wife she's just rough with anything, she can break something that works perfectly fine for years just like how she can break something brand new the same.  Well the brother-in-law wants to borrow my equipment...naturally I will say, "No, get your own."  It's not that I don't mind lending it out...it's that I don't want it returned broken or missing.  Still missing that car jack for the honda that they borrowed.

Unfortunately the Marcum isn't as tough as a Vexilar so I won't be lending it out...Get your own!  If you break it, it's still yours and not mine.  ;D ;D ;D
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline DAN1681

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 11, 2010, 02:44 PM »
Agreed.  Get your own if you can.  For the past two years I have had to look over my buddy's shoulder at his vex.  Constantly asking if he was marking anything.  After two years I was more than ready and got my marcum this year.  Once you get used to using one you wont go back. :tipup:

Offline shupa

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 11, 2010, 03:12 PM »
Sorry if this is a complete dumbass question, but can you use a vexilar when NOT ice fishing? I.E. summer bass fishing off a boat? Just started ice fishing a week ago, been freshwater fishing for a few months, figure I'm ready to start getting some toys, but not really 100% on what's what yet.  Thanks  :)

Offline DAN1681

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 11, 2010, 03:16 PM »
Sorry if this is a complete dumbass question, but can you use a vexilar when NOT ice fishing? I.E. summer bass fishing off a boat? Just started ice fishing a week ago, been freshwater fishing for a few months, figure I'm ready to start getting some toys, but not really 100% on what's what yet.  Thanks  :)

Yes you can you it on open water.  You would just need another transducer for the boat.

Offline Celt6

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 11, 2010, 04:01 PM »
not meaning to hihjack the thread, but you can use a vex or marcum in a boat in the summer? with another piece of equip (transducer)? they should say something about that on their website. cool

Offline eyestroker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • McHenry County, IL
« Reply #12 on: Jan 11, 2010, 04:04 PM »
not meaning to hihjack the thread, but you can use a vex or marcum in a boat in the summer? with another piece of equip (transducer)? they should say something about that on their website. cool
they do it was all over the box for my lx-3tc
http://store.marcumtech.com/Category/Transducers-and--Sonar-Accessories/
"He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither."  -Benjamin Franklin
"In times of change, the Patriot is a scarce man; brave, hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a Patriot."  Mark Twain

servocam

« Reply #13 on: Jan 11, 2010, 05:06 PM »
they do it was all over the box for my lx-3tc
http://store.marcumtech.com/Category/Transducers-and--Sonar-Accessories/

But how well does it work - I suppose if your just drifting or sitting still it would work good.  Anyone ever try it?

Offline eyestroker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • McHenry County, IL
« Reply #14 on: Jan 11, 2010, 05:11 PM »
But how well does it work - I suppose if your just drifting or sitting still it would work good.  Anyone ever try it?
I had an fl-10 mounted in my old tracker and it was great.  it works athigh speed if you get the high speed puck ducer.  But if your thinking it is the same as ice of course not because you aren't shooting straight down a hull.  but if you are drifting it will mark fish proficiently....  anyway it's the same unit just a different application
"He who sacrifices freedom for security deserves neither."  -Benjamin Franklin
"In times of change, the Patriot is a scarce man; brave, hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a Patriot."  Mark Twain

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.