The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: 5 lb propane cylinder  (Read 7439 times)

Offline GILLIN1

• IceShanty Rookie
5 lb propane cylinder
« on: Jan 09, 2010, 06:45 AM »
Has anyone used a 5lb propane cyliner with their Mr Heater???

Offline a1angler

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: 5 lb propane cylinder
« Reply #1 on: Jan 09, 2010, 06:55 AM »
if they're available, they've been used.  i have an eleven pounder that i use w/my mr. heater.  no problem.  propane is propane, burn it up.
"FISH!"

Offline stuckey17

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 09, 2010, 08:53 AM »
If you buy the corect brass fittings, you can use any size tank.  I use the hose from my turkey frier and hook it to the tank from my grill. Cost me $2.50 for the fittings ($12.00 if you buy the Mr. Hearter brand fittings).

Offline solman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • TEAM MICHIGAN
« Reply #3 on: Jan 09, 2010, 08:59 AM »
Has anyone used a 5lb propane cyliner with their Mr Heater???

I've been searching to find a good deal on a 5lbs.  Let me know if you find a good price on em someplace.

Offline chfishon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over i will ice fish there to...
« Reply #4 on: Jan 09, 2010, 09:11 AM »
i refill my small tanks with a 5 pounder just by the fitting and stick the small tanks in the freezer and flip the 5 pounder on it's top and fill them just remember to do it outside and don't smoke ;D
FISH ON

Offline Higgins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT EVER IT TAKES
« Reply #5 on: Jan 09, 2010, 09:21 AM »
Sorry if I'm high jacking this thread  :-\ but I was wondering if any one out there knows what adapter I need to fill the small green tanks off from a 20lb tank  ???

Offline solman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • TEAM MICHIGAN
« Reply #6 on: Jan 09, 2010, 09:25 AM »
Sorry if I'm high jacking this thread  :-\ but I was wondering if any one out there knows what adapter I need to fill the small green tanks off from a 20lb tank  ???

This is it,

http://www.heatershop.com/1lb_probane_bottle_fill_kit.html

Offline icepik

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 09, 2010, 12:54 PM »
Sorry if I'm high jacking this thread  :-\ but I was wondering if any one out there knows what adapter I need to fill the small green tanks off from a 20lb tank  ???

Harbor freight has them

Offline JunkYardDog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 09, 2010, 02:08 PM »
5 pounders are a nice size. I bought mine at Gander Mt. a few years ago. They're kinda expensive, and can sometimes be hard to get filled for a decent price. I've been to a lot of propane filling stations that wanted to charge me $10.00 to fill it. F  I could fill a 20 pounder for $15.00 - Go figure.  As far as adaptors for filling 1 pounders go, they are available in several places, Harbor Freight is a good source. They can be tough to use though, it's hard to get a complete fill on a 1 pounder. You have to open the valve on the top of the 1 lb cylinder when you are re-filling. Trouble is the valve often won't re-seal and you loose all of your LP. In the long run the 5 pounder is a better bet.
I've spent 75% of my life hunting and fishing, I've pretty much wasted the rest.

Offline solman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • TEAM MICHIGAN
« Reply #9 on: Jan 09, 2010, 03:36 PM »
Those re-fillers work really well. I have been doing it for 10 years plus. Lot's of threads on here to back that up if you look around a bit.

Offline Mr. Skunked

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 09, 2010, 10:40 PM »
just so everybody knows, it is against the law to transport refilled one pound tanks.
im not sure how anybody would know though. i thought i would just mention it. 

Offline TK81

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 09, 2010, 10:51 PM »
just so everybody knows, it is against the law to transport refilled one pound tanks.
im not sure how anybody would know though. i thought i would just mention it. 
Illegal only if transporting for commercial intentions...

Offline chfishon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over i will ice fish there to...
« Reply #12 on: Jan 09, 2010, 11:00 PM »
make sure you keep your white tops not only does it keep it clean but that is a sure sign it is used
FISH ON

Offline Higgins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT EVER IT TAKES
« Reply #13 on: Jan 09, 2010, 11:39 PM »

Offline Higgins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT EVER IT TAKES
« Reply #14 on: Jan 09, 2010, 11:43 PM »
Don't mean to get away from the 5lb here   But NEVER should you open the safety valve on the 1 lb when refilling. Your just asking for trouble. I've refilled several of these on a regular basis and have found if you chill the 1 lb  and warm the 20 lb to room temp and while filling with the 20 lb upside down   shake the 20 lb as your filling. I usually get 85-90 % full. Its still easier for me to take a couple extra 1 lbs than a bigger bottle and a hose.

About how long does it take to fill the 1lb tanks  :-\

Offline solman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • TEAM MICHIGAN
« Reply #15 on: Jan 10, 2010, 02:43 AM »
Any one know If I could get one here in Muskegon  ???

(Image removed from quote.)

Do you have a Gander Mt.?? They have them.  It does not take long to fill like 30-40 seconds.  Never timed it.

The lable of the 1lbs'ers talks about the transportion thing. If you want to stay in front of the propane cops don't haul the refilled ones around in your big rig  ::)

Offline fishdeer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 10, 2010, 09:47 AM »
This is it,

http://www.heatershop.com/1lb_probane_bottle_fill_kit.html

(Image removed from quote.)

what is the correct way to refill a 1lb propane cylinder, is there a correct way, can they be over filled, how do you know when they are filled.

Offline ih772

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 10, 2010, 11:38 AM »
With the 20 pounder at room temperature and upside down and the EMPTY one pounder frozen, it will take one pound of propane. I use a kitchen scale and place an empty one pounder on and zero the needle. Then after I fill it I'll put it back on the scale and see if it took 16 oz, which it does 95% of the time. That's how you tell if they are full to one pound of propane.

Offline Crooked Dave

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Jan 10, 2010, 11:51 AM »
Post has been officially Hi-Jacked.  ;D I considered buying the adapter to refill one pounders, but I guess I have had too many issues with propane leaks and other misfortunes.  I like fishing too much that I don't want any unnecessary risks with refilling something that can have bad consequences.  I would throw away, not recycle, 20 empty bottles a year and I just couldn't justify the waste after these last few years.  Last week, I  purchased a 12' hose / filter / 11 pound cylinder for my Mr. Buddy.  .  Initial cost was $100, refills are done by a person that has much more experience than me and in a more controlled environment and only cost $9.00.  I figure in three or four years it will have paid for itself, and I don't have the waste.  Doesn't make sense to me why those little ones can be recycled somehow. anyways....Tight Lines

I also still carry a one pounder with me in the event that my 11 lber runs out. 

Offline CBGale2

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • What Lake, How Deep, and What Color?
« Reply #19 on: Jan 10, 2010, 01:52 PM »
Not sure if you have a Menards near you but the one in Grand Rapids had 5lb tanks for sale, not a bad deal on them either.  They also sell the refill adapters for you hijackers who are reading this.   ;D
Posted via my rotary dial telephone.

Bikini Ice Fishing Team Fluffer/ProStaff

Offline thehopehouse

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 10, 2010, 08:47 PM »
Don't mean to get away from the 5lb here   But NEVER should you open the safety valve on the 1 lb when refilling. Your just asking for trouble. I've refilled several of these on a regular basis and have found if you chill the 1 lb  and warm the 20 lb to room temp and while filling with the 20 lb upside down   shake the 20 lb as your filling. I usually get 85-90 % full. Its still easier for me to take a couple extra 1 lbs than a bigger bottle and a hose.
my uncle puts his 1 pounders in the freezer then he puts them on the scale if they are not full he puts them back into the freezer.  He fishes with a bunch of his buddies and he refills boat loads of them.  He said when the are full they should weigh 2 pounds.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.