The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Raystown Lake?  (Read 7290 times)

Offline markakins

• IceShanty Rookie
Raystown Lake?
« on: Jan 07, 2010, 06:41 AM »
Has anyone fished Raystown? I remember some guys that had success in the late seventies and early eighties. This may be a good winter for the ice.

Thanks, Mark

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Raystown Lake?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 07, 2010, 06:52 AM »
Check the reports section for Raystown.
Bring on the ice!!!!!!!  <br />      

Offline C.C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • DO NOT BE AFRAID !!!!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 07, 2010, 07:08 AM »
He can't Russ. He doesn't have enough posts. ;) Keepin out the lurkers.

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 07, 2010, 08:13 AM »
I think even new members have access to the reports pages now. I've seen a couple first posts made on there, so it must have changed.
Ken                                          

Offline C.C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • DO NOT BE AFRAID !!!!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 07, 2010, 02:47 PM »
I think even new members have access to the reports pages now. I've seen a couple first posts made on there, so it must have changed.
See what happens when you assume.  :-[ I didn't even take notice that it was different now.

Offline john t.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 07, 2010, 02:56 PM »
can they send PM's also. or just view the boards.

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 07, 2010, 04:19 PM »
They can send PM's after 3 posts.
Ken                                          

Offline Ironeagle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 10, 2010, 08:10 PM »
dont now if its true or not but i herd stories of guys who went out and drilled a hole and no water!!!! there was a several foot gap between the ice and water due to drawing down the lake. it could be BS but you never know..... :o

As soon as that sun hits the water.. All Hell is gona break loose!
Punch holes and find schools

Offline chubs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 10, 2010, 08:55 PM »
my buddy icefishermick and i were talking the other day about that where people have said about seeing a gap in the ice and water and he was going to start a thread about   that and see what the feedback was on that.  we have a hard time believing in that, we have seen alot of lakes that have been drawn down some and the ice always breaks along the banks and lets no gap. did they say where that was on the lake? i would like to go there and see that for myself.  chubs
if the shoe fits

Offline john t.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 10, 2010, 09:25 PM »
lol i like the one. that there was a gap in the ice and it refroze and they were riding snowmobiles on the second layer. thats a good one   :o

Offline PAluke

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 11, 2010, 07:01 AM »
dont now if its true or not but i herd stories of guys who went out and drilled a hole and no water!!!! there was a several foot gap between the ice and water due to drawing down the lake. it could be BS but you never know..... :o

I heard the same thing this weekend.  I can't confirm the story, but the guy I talked to said the guy that drilled the hole fell through. 

Offline treeguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 11, 2010, 05:48 PM »
I always wanted to fish the coves..i would think they would ice up ok..then main lake well maybe..i never saw in my time a lake drop and the ice not follow by breaking on the shore

I bet no one posts because its a secret hot spot  ???
A slip of the foot you may soon recover, but a slip of the tongue you may never get over..Ben  Franklin

Offline quad700

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 11, 2010, 06:03 PM »
The ice can be above the water.This happens at Tionesta resivoire and at Kinzua dam.I have not seen it personly but heard about it many times. No thanks for me,could imagine falling through and not be able to get out.Maybe you guys should start a topic on this matter to get the facts.
Still waiting for that huge crappie to land in my frying pan.

Offline burkley

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Bad day fishin' better than good day workin'!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 13, 2010, 10:47 PM »
The ice can be above the water.This happens at Tionesta resivoire and at Kinzua dam.I have not seen it personly but heard about it many times. No thanks for me,could imagine falling through and not be able to get out.Maybe you guys should start a topic on this matter to get the facts.
the ice would have to be several feet thick to be structurally strong enough to hold itself. Ice simply floats on water , can't support itself.

Offline snuffcan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 14, 2010, 04:20 PM »
I've ice fished Raystown a few times( about 5 times in past 20 yrs)we fish it out of a boat a lot. The water was always where it was supposed to be when we drilled holes there, but we stuck to coves like Shy Beaver and Brumbaughs. Friends of mine used to fish down at Aitch. Never did super good there, some nice perch, but real hit or miss? Have heard of inconsistant ice on the main lake.

Offline chubs

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 14, 2010, 07:19 PM »
has anyone fished brumbaughs lately?    chubs
if the shoe fits

Offline Fetters

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 14, 2010, 07:50 PM »
I have never seen the water below the ice, but i fished it once and they must have closed the flood gates.  Water slowly seeped out from our holes all day, the ice was busting and popping everywhere. There was about 10" and a but load of snow as I recall.  There was an actual water  line along the bank under the ice when we left.

Offline DFender

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 15, 2010, 06:21 PM »
I stopped by AItch boat launch today and there is alot of water on the ice. I didn't even bother trying to drill a hole.  I will check it out sometime this week and post.

Offline burkley

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Bad day fishin' better than good day workin'!
« Reply #18 on: Jan 20, 2010, 08:14 PM »
IS there safe ice a raystown ? Aitch area?

Offline DFender

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 21, 2010, 03:44 AM »
No, the ice is not safe at Aitch.  I stopped by on Tuesday and there is water along the shore line and dock.  There is no sign at all that anyone has even attempted to go onto the ice other than a bunch of big rocks.  Before the warm up I was told that there was 4 inches of ice.  Looking at it I find that hard to believe.  I will keep you posted as to the conditions if it gets cold again.   Shane

Offline your-end-ones-up

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Feb 17, 2010, 04:29 PM »
does  anybody know if there is any safe ice around the snyders launch area or aitch? i know this lake takes a lot of very cold weather to freeze over but sometimes the backwaters are fishable. i seen 18" inches on this lake in the 70s and caught a lot of bass and some of the biggest perch, around the 7points area , but havn't fished it for a long time

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 19, 2010, 07:07 AM »
Believe it,it does happen ! ice and a air gap,twice to me in 45 years Kinzua and Shenango.

Offline tommyd

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Feb 19, 2010, 05:48 PM »
I noticed that someone mentioned that the original writer could check the reports page for Raystown.  Where do I find the reports page on this great site?  I was looking around and I can't find it.  I'm interested in checking it out.  I've never fished Raystown personally but heard some good things about the lake from bass fishing friends who fish it on soft water in the boats.  Thanks and be safe out there.  I've been side lined with a couple broken ribs and it wasn't from a fall on the ice on the water, it was the ice in a field while hiking so I'm done for many weeks.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.