Author Topic: Day on the refuge lakes!!!  (Read 2488 times)

Offline Fish-icer

• Team IceShanty Addict
Day on the refuge lakes!!!
« on: Jan 06, 2010, 02:02 PM »

Some nice perch and gills courtesy of a refuge lake. 

Offline Fish-icer

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Day on the refuge lakes!!!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2010, 02:05 PM »

Offline jigbounce

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • got any biscuits for sale in there?
« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2010, 04:47 PM »
looks like a nice day on the lake! :o How big were the perch

Offline eyewinder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2010, 07:04 PM »
Purtiest sink I ever did see!! :clap:
"We are hunters. . .when the buffalo are gone, we will hunt mice. . ."  Sioux war chief

Offline Sandbilly

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 06, 2010, 07:29 PM »
How many fishing?

dc

Offline ryno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ditch the bobbers and get a 'tight line'
« Reply #5 on: Jan 06, 2010, 07:54 PM »
nice mess of fish but thats why im in favor of slot limits and reduced limits. hard to maintain good fisheries with 30 a day limits and poor individual conservation.  most important thing is to toss back them bull gills.
]

Offline midstate08

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 06, 2010, 08:16 PM »
I agree with ryno. thats what happened to twin lakes in rock county, and many other lakes.  Not sure if you were at the refuge by valentine but talking to the gal that use to run big alkali fish camp, she had pictures of the 80's when there was no limit and people would come in with 100 to 200 gill and perch and sit there for hours and clean fish.  I wonder why there a few good lakes to fish?

Offline Fish-icer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 06, 2010, 09:52 PM »
Dont worry guys...There was 7 of us.  And we thought the perch were carp, thats why we kept them.  Thought we were doing the state a favor.

Offline ryno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ditch the bobbers and get a 'tight line'
« Reply #8 on: Jan 06, 2010, 10:02 PM »
And we thought the perch were carp, thats why we kept them

huh!? ::)  i bet the game warden would buy that one...lmao.  no minnows allowed on the refuge and thats why...no rough fish, i.e. carp.  did those round shaped critters have teeth?...they mite be piranhas!
]

Offline Fish-icer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 06, 2010, 10:07 PM »
Those weren't piranha's?  I'm gonna have to buy a new Nebraska Fish Guide.   ;D

Offline hankthecrank

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Nothing better than DR PEPPER on shaved ice.
« Reply #10 on: Jan 07, 2010, 10:13 AM »
Some of the smelt I use for Northerns appear to be bigger than those Perch.
DR PEPPER POWERED PIKE HUNTER

THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN FISHING AND CATCHING, IS ONE FISH.

Offline midstate08

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 07, 2010, 10:57 AM »
fish icer do you fish with a guy here in burwell by chance?  The reason I ask is he has 5 or six brothers in the easter part of the state.  I went to school with one of them.

Offline Sandbilly

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 07, 2010, 11:07 AM »
Dont worry guys...There was 7 of us.  And we thought the perch were carp, thats why we kept them.  Thought we were doing the state a favor.

Thought you might get hammered with that photo. I believe many of us are a little overprotective about fish harvest after going through a drought where we watched fish populations plumate in most of our favorite lakes.  :( 

My thoughts are this. Many lakes are rebounding from the drought. Fish are a renewable resource. Recruitment is up, but it is important to understand each individual lake and base harvest accordingly. Selective harvest is key.

Sounds like perch were predominant in the body of water you fished which is a great sign for a rebounding Sandhill lake. Perch are an important part of the food chain staple in most of these lakes. Everything from YOY to whatever size will fit into a bass or pike's gullet. Best thing about perch is they are cannibalistic. That combined with these Sandhill lakes being so fertile, stunting is usually not a problem like they have in many northern US bodies of water. Exception would be Smith Lake WMA. For some reason predator/prey relationship got out of whack several years ago and that lake is filled with stunted perch.     

I personally have 0 issues with your picture provided selective harvest was involved. It looks like you guys had a ball on the ice. 7 people fishing about any of the V. Refuge lakes once a year, harvesting some pan fish will not deplete the population. The problem comes when several hundred people exploit a hundred acre lake, keeping every fish they catch, or every large fish they catch, and that harvest continues throughout the ice season. Does not take long to deplete a quality fish population. That exact scenario happened on Duck last year.

Not much better than a meal of Sandhill pan fish through the ice or the quest while acquiring them. My family enjoyed some gill fillets last night that 8 of us had a ball catching the day before. I just always try and remember everyone else would like to do the same thing. :tipup:

Glad you had a good time in our little part of the world. :)

dc       

Offline Fish-icer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Jan 07, 2010, 11:41 AM »
Thanks Sandbilly...I know you know the crew I was with, a couple locals mixed with us from the other side of the state.

Only get up there once or twice a year to ice fish with the group but we have been doing it forever.

Offline Eastwesterner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 10, 2010, 12:50 AM »
I've released Muskies that could eat that Northern that ate those smelt.
Where's the ice

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.