The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Safe for fishing?  (Read 1359 times)

Offline sublimenal

• IceShanty Rookie
Safe for fishing?
« on: Jan 05, 2010, 08:26 AM »
Hi guys, I'm new to this forum and pretty new to ice fishing. Went out a few times last year with buddies but want to venture out on my own this year. Got all the equipment, just wondering what lakes would be safe already? I heard reports long pond has about 8 inches on it. Are there any other ones anyone can recommend for this weekend? I live in Worcester

Thanks hoping to pull out some monsters like the ones I seen in these forums

-Tony

Offline teamtip-up

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Safe for fishing?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2010, 09:44 AM »
First off - Welcome to the site.  It is a great place to get advice and fishing reports.

Your question about what lakes are safe is a tough one for people to answer.   YOU have to make that determination every time you go.   Folks here will gladly report on what they experience for ice conditions but early in the season, you need to spend time checking yourself to truly know what the ice conditions are.
Looking forward to seeing some pics of smiling people holding nice fish from you.  Good Luck

jb

Offline FishingNewEngland

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fishing New England
« Reply #2 on: Jan 05, 2010, 10:41 AM »
Hi guys, I'm new to this forum and pretty new to ice fishing. Went out a few times last year with buddies but want to venture out on my own this year. Got all the equipment, just wondering what lakes would be safe already? I heard reports long pond has about 8 inches on it. Are there any other ones anyone can recommend for this weekend? I live in Worcester

Thanks hoping to pull out some monsters like the ones I seen in these forums

-Tony

Welcome to the site Tony. Where are you located? There are bodies of water that are safe for fishing but like TeamTip-Up suggested, you need to check as you go.

Tight Lines!!!

FNE

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2010, 10:58 AM »
If reports aren't available for the pond/lake that want to try, you would be wise to develop a practice of testing the ice as you enter.
If you can get a depth map of the body of water that shows shallow water areas, that would give you agood idea.
Also keep aware of ANY MOVING water that comes into that pond/lake, and STAY AWAY FROM IT!

I have my favorite places that I frequent through the season, and learned where to enter from safely.

As for where to go fishing, check out the Mass Wildelife website for their pond maps. That and a good map book will give you plenty of options.

(Heck, I live in the Boston area, and travel to Plymouth, Westborough, Westford, Wayland, Framingham, Natick and even New Hampshire just for a day trip.)

Good luck!
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline bumps

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2010, 12:54 PM »
Flint pond is in pretty good shape with about 7 inches in most places.

Offline JustOsmo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2010, 12:57 PM »
Webster Lake off Lakeside had 8 Inches. Very much safe.

Offline sublimenal

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2010, 04:15 PM »
Hey thanks for the welcome, flint pond is right around the corner i think I will either give that a try or webster lake , I have actually never ice fished Lake Chargoggagoggmanchaugg agoggchaubunagungamaug g.  Looking forward to getting out there, I'm going to head out on saturday morning. Thanks guys I will report what happens

Offline FishingNewEngland

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fishing New England
« Reply #7 on: Jan 05, 2010, 04:39 PM »
Hey thanks for the welcome, flint pond is right around the corner i think I will either give that a try or webster lake , I have actually never ice fished Lake Chargoggagoggmanchaugg agoggchaubunagungamaug g.  Looking forward to getting out there, I'm going to head out on saturday morning. Thanks guys I will report what happens

If you want to come to Norton, I'm having a party on the ice. See the gathering thread for more info.  ;D  ;)

Offline JustOsmo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 05, 2010, 08:08 PM »

Let us know where your heading. Im going out to Webster Lake again Sat or Sunday. Havent decided which day. But if I go out sat maybe we will be in the same area. I only caught 6 pickerel today by Lakeside so I will prob be picking a diff location next time. Probably by Loveland.

Offline JustOsmo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 05, 2010, 08:10 PM »
If you want to come to Norton, I'm having a party on the ice. See the gathering thread for more info.  ;D  ;)

Im gonna have to make some of these gatherings sometime. I bet i'd learn alot from you guys. Im still a newbie, only year 2 of religious ice fishing.

Offline sublimenal

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 12, 2010, 12:24 PM »
Hey thanks but I replied to this thread to late, going to have to bookmark these forums. The fishing trip was fun, ended up goign to Chauncy lake in Westborough. Got there around 9 and left around 6. Caught 3 pickerels. A little small but good for a first time on the ice. The ice over there is about 10" in most place and 4 in the deeper areas. Heres a few pics below

Going out again this saturday!

<-- I actually caught a bigger one but dropped it back into the hole to quick to snap a pic

Offline JustOsmo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 12, 2010, 03:47 PM »
Nice fish! It gets addicting. I cant go 3 days without going back out now. Im starting to think about trying to eat something i catch now. I have hated fish all my life but i bet it taste sweeter knowing you caught it ;-)

Offline jonserfish1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hi, my name is Jeff and I'm a fishahaulic!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 12, 2010, 05:26 PM »
soon you will be in my group therapy for fishing, look forward to seeing you

Offline newbraintree

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Get a Set!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 12, 2010, 06:09 PM »
Nice fish! It gets addicting. I cant go 3 days without going back out now. Im starting to think about trying to eat something i catch now. I have hated fish all my life but i bet it taste sweeter knowing you caught it ;-)

Just my opinion, but if you want to cook your catch, wait for striper season or when they stock the trout and salmon.  A large majority of the bodies of water in Mass are questionable in regards to eating the fish..

, , ,

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.