The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: lake sherwood... terrible day  (Read 7366 times)

Offline khill119

• IceShanty Rookie
lake sherwood... terrible day
« on: Jan 04, 2010, 10:39 AM »
went out on Lake Sherwood yesterday. caught a whole 3 fish. super windy. sucked ballllzzzz

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: lake sherwood... terrible day
« Reply #1 on: Jan 04, 2010, 12:03 PM »
went out on Lake Sherwood yesterday. caught a whole 3 fish. super windy. sucked ballllzzzz

Get off the main bay and fish the canals... a few have real nice hills surrounding the ice that can lesson the wind significantly, and there be fish in them there canals too!!!! ;)

Offline BONECRUSHER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I LOVE TO GET IT WET
« Reply #2 on: Jan 04, 2010, 04:14 PM »
It seems the canals haven't been producing squat this season, but been bangin' em' on the main lake ;)

Offline jhookj

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2010, 08:30 AM »
I went out there on Saturday and just slayed the pan fish.  We caught a bunch of nice ones.  We were set up in the canals in about 10-12 feet of water.

Offline Kelly Johnson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2010, 10:57 AM »
Any public access or do you guys know someone?

Offline Archer50697

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2010, 11:06 AM »
Lake Sherwood is a private lake...no public access. You have to know someone and be fishing with them on the lake.

Offline Left/Center

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2010, 11:08 AM »
They keep this lake locked down guys and for good reason, they stock it and with the miles of canals its prime panfishing. One spot we found last year we had keeper perch crappie and bluegill all in the same holes most of the day. We had permission from a buddys mom that has a house on the lake but the association president came out and informed us the homeowner must be with you and he claimed he paid for the fish in the lake. He then took my buddys moms information and said hed be calling her to let her know she violated the association rules...what a tool! Good luck it was fun the 4 or so times we got out there.

Offline Archer50697

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 05, 2010, 12:18 PM »
I hear ya andy! Guess I'm a lucky one. My buddy has lived on the lake for 25 years and fishes with us regularly. We usually do a fair amount of damage to the fish population when we go out. The association president is also correct in what he stated. The residents paid to have the lake stocked with multiple species of fish and have done this, from what I understand, every few years. The DNR also installed 2 wells that are tapped into the underground aqufier that pump a million gallons of fresh clean water each into the lake daily during the summer months, Hence the reason for the water clarity. They also have very strict regulations on how much and what types of fertizers can be used and strict regs on animal waste as well that prevents a majority of the common polutants from entering the lake, unlike some of the other lakes we also fish. This is one of the reasons that I can honestly tell you that any Bass caught out of this lake, if fried up next to a walleye out of the same lake, I would challege anyone to be able to tell me which was which with out looking at the meat coloration, which is the only difference I can find aside from texture.All this talk about fishing is making me hungry. Guess I'll be fishing this week end!

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 05, 2010, 12:26 PM »
I hear ya andy! Guess I'm a lucky one. My buddy has lived on the lake for 25 years and fishes with us regularly. We usually do a fair amount of damage to the fish population when we go out. The association president is also correct in what he stated. The residents paid to have the lake stocked with multiple species of fish and have done this, from what I understand, every few years. The DNR also installed 2 wells that are tapped into the underground aqufier that pump a million gallons of fresh clean water each into the lake daily during the summer months, Hence the reason for the water clarity. They also have very strict regulations on how much and what types of fertizers can be used and strict regs on animal waste as well that prevents a majority of the common polutants from entering the lake, unlike some of the other lakes we also fish. This is one of the reasons that I can honestly tell you that any Bass caught out of this lake, if fried up next to a walleye out of the same lake, I would challege anyone to be able to tell me which was which with out looking at the meat coloration, which is the only difference I can find aside from texture.All this talk about fishing is making me hungry. Guess I'll be fishing this week end!

The wells you refer to are "augmentation " wells used to keep the lake full till it naturally seals itself as it is man made in the late 50's or so. It is a deed restricted community and hence they are allowed to impose "rules" upon those choosing to live there. There are a number of ways onto the ice that do not violate the community standards if you look close enough. Even tgough it is a private lake, they are required to gain permits from the DNR for the plants as are other private lakes, but the plant charts do not reflect them doing so. That lake eventually drains into the Huron via Proud Lake Rec. Area so what is planted there can effect the entire areas water-shed.

Remember when upon the ice, MIchigan has strict rules protecting hunters and fishermen from harrassment. Some association Presidents can over step bounds, act like John Wayne or try and intimidate when it is not legal, so keep this in mind when deciding upon how much cooperation you will be extending to someone that "Might" be trampling upon your right to fish.

Offline skunkmaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 05, 2010, 12:43 PM »
I don't care who paid for what, if you can get on the water without crossing private property then you can legally be out there to fish.  I'd tell the association yahoo to call the police if I got on legally.   Nobody owns the water.

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 05, 2010, 12:50 PM »
I don't care who paid for what, if you can get on the water without crossing private property then you can legally be out there to fish.  I'd tell the association yahoo to call the police if I got on legally.   Nobody owns the water.

In Michigan land owners on private waters can indeed own the "Bottom " of the lake and plat-maps will demonstrate so as well. BUt as Skunk stated, no one owns the water we fish upon and gaining access via "Easements" drainages etc... makes you a legal beagle and one that is not required to follow-the-leader with an Association President.

Offline Archer50697

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 05, 2010, 12:53 PM »
If that were true then Cannada could not impose laws that govern there bodies of water such as that of LSC. I would like to see someone tell the RCMP or the Canadian version of our DNR, that there laws don't apply because the water was access via public property. The point is that there is no public property that offers access to this lake, hence you would have to trespass to access it!

Offline skunkmaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 05, 2010, 12:56 PM »
If that were true then Cannada could not impose laws that govern there bodies of water such as that of LSC. I would like to see someone tell the RCMP or the Canadian version of our DNR, that there laws don't apply because the water was access via public property. The point is that there is no public property that offers access to this lake, hence you would have to trespass to access it!

We live in the U.S. thats the only difference.  If I wanted to I could get on legally.  I'll land in a seaplane if I have to.  LOL

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 05, 2010, 12:59 PM »

Arch,

I live walking distance from Sherwood and had a similar situation that came up on Lake Ona less than a mile north of there. Not sure what you mean by "If it were true" and the Canadians. Sounds like you are talking about "International Boundary Waters" a little different than a neighborhood association.  :-\

Look up Lake Ona on a Plat Map and you will see the land under water considered as acreage, and the same goes for lot description. Albeit rare, many of the local man-made lakes are set up tis way as someone owned the land prior to the floodings.

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 05, 2010, 01:00 PM »
We live in the U.S. thats the only difference.  If I wanted to I could get on legally.  I'll land in a seaplane if I have to.  LOL

Indeed Skunk, this would be a viable option, albeit expensive, it would pass.

Offline Archer50697

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 05, 2010, 02:57 PM »
Arch,

I live walking distance from Sherwood and had a similar situation that came up on Lake Ona less than a mile north of there. Not sure what you mean by "If it were true" and the Canadians. Sounds like you are talking about "International Boundary Waters" a little different than a neighborhood association.  :-\

Look up Lake Ona on a Plat Map and you will see the land under water considered as acreage, and the same goes for lot description. Albeit rare, many of the local man-made lakes are set up tis way as someone owned the land prior to the floodings.

RL..... I'm not disagreeing with that at all..... My point, although I may have taken the scenice route with it is simply......there isn't any easements or public access to my knoweledge for this lake based on what I have been told. I personally would be P.O'd if we start getting a bunch of guys on this lake that don't have permission or legal access. All that would do is create hassles for the few of us outsiders that do have access to the lake via our buddy's that live on it. Maybe it's the way I was raised, but I believe it's either Public or Private and there isn't any gray area that needs explored regardless of any legal loopholes that may be existing on the books.

Offline skunkmaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 05, 2010, 03:52 PM »
Isn't there a bridge on a public road that crosses part of the lake?  theres access right there, just have someone drop you off at the bridge and you're good. 

Offline SleePac

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'd Rather Be Ice Fishing!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 05, 2010, 05:01 PM »
I fished this lake several times a couple of years ago.  Gotta admit....beautiful area.  Had a blast!  I recall sitting quietly on a bucket one Saturday morning minding my own business.  No music - no cigarettes - no beer - no liquor - all by myself.  In fact, was even throwing all fish back because I knew I didn't pay for them.  A group of dudes came by my area and started drilling with a hand auger threw 12 inches of ice.  They were having a heck of a time and working up a sweat!  I walked over with the ole Jiffy and punched a ton of holes for them.  The main dude introduced himself and thanked me - turns out he lived on the lake.

10 minutes later - and 40 feet to the north - the Association President approached me and asked me to leave.  The dude I just hooked up - that lives on the lake - let this happen (not that he owed me anything)  I was just hoping he'd claim me as a new buddy....oh well....he didn't owe me a thing.  No big deal.....I packed up quietly, apologized and left.  Was met at the shore by the police.  They simply gave me the ugly stare while I packed my car and hit the road.

They take this serious!  They pay a lot - they expect a lot - they protect a lot.

Would seriously consider buying on that lake, that's for sure!

They could make some nice coin if they charged anglers to do some fishing.  I'd drop them a $5 per day....no problem.

Offline Left/Center

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 05, 2010, 09:36 PM »
We were parking at my buddys moms house and the d!ckhe@d association president informed us you MUST be accompanied by a resident.

Offline BONECRUSHER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I LOVE TO GET IT WET
« Reply #19 on: Jan 06, 2010, 02:25 PM »
Its all BS out there, my grandparents had one of the first houses on the lake and I have been fishing it for as long as I could hold a pole. It's just recently gotten to the point with this president clown harassing fisherman out on the lake. My "Aunt" still lives on the lake and at 80ish I do a ton of work around her house for her and if she gives me permission to fish it I'm going to fish it :%$#!: :%$#!: :%$#!: :%$#!: :%$#!:

Offline Archer50697

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 06, 2010, 02:53 PM »
Its all BS out there, my grandparents had one of the first houses on the lake and I have been fishing it for as long as I could hold a pole. It's just recently gotten to the point with this president clown harassing fisherman out on the lake. My "Aunt" still lives on the lake and at 80ish I do a ton of work around her house for her and if she gives me permission to fish it I'm going to fish it :%$#!: :%$#!: :%$#!: :%$#!: :%$#!:

Good luck with that. Hope it continues to work for you, however; you should fully expect them to try and protect their investment, hence the local Barney Fife may be waiting for you when they bounce you off the lake.

Offline BONECRUSHER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I LOVE TO GET IT WET
« Reply #21 on: Jan 06, 2010, 02:59 PM »
I know, but to me generally private lakes consist of associations which pay for stocking , which she has been paying for 50yrs. No way around it, it sucks to fish a lake for 40 yrs. and then not be able to  ???

Offline SleePac

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 06, 2010, 03:27 PM »
Interesting point.  I can't remember for 100% certainty, but if I recall, one could walk on to the lake from the road that runs to the south of this lake.  I'll have to take a run up there and check!

Offline BONECRUSHER

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I LOVE TO GET IT WET
« Reply #23 on: Jan 06, 2010, 03:30 PM »
Interesting point.  I can't remember for 100% certainty, but if I recall, one could walk on to the lake from the road that runs to the south of this lake.  I'll have to take a run up there and check!

North side (commerce rd.)

Offline Kelly Johnson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 06, 2010, 03:46 PM »
Look me up one of these days Andy ;)

Offline skunkmaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 06, 2010, 06:39 PM »

Exactly my point.  See my post on page 1.  The homeowner pres can kiss my arse if he thinks he can boot me off the lake.

Offline Left/Center

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Jan 06, 2010, 06:45 PM »
I hearby nominate Lake Sherwood the spot for an annual IS outing, they're exactly right when they say the that you can walk right on at commerce road. I've had enough I'm getting my permission back and Barney Fife can do what he's gotta do...but I do think it wouldn't hurt to call the Dnr and inquire. Set the date boys...they cant arrest us all. Where do you reside Kelly, i'm in Farmington Hills

Offline carver1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I CANT LEAVE, I ALMOST HAD A BITE
« Reply #27 on: Jan 06, 2010, 06:47 PM »
I hearby nominate Lake Sherwood the spot for an annual IS outing, they're exactly right when they say the that you can walk right on at commerce road. I've had enough I'm getting my permission back and Barney Fife can do what he's gotta do...but I do think it wouldn't hurt to call the Dnr and inquire. Set the date boys...they cant arrest us all. Where do you reside Kelly, i'm in Farmington Hills
That is funny.... count me in... Barny would have a heart attack seeing 30 guys cooking out there and fishing up a storm... LMAO

Offline thorzep

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • when i last saw you i was just a learner, but now i am the master
« Reply #28 on: Jan 06, 2010, 06:50 PM »
im always down!!!!
                                                                                                    Thors icefishing stats:  nothing   yet!!!

Offline SleePac

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 06, 2010, 06:53 PM »
Count me in!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.